Little things noticed upon re-viewing

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
dongregg

Re: Little things noticed upon re-viewing

Post by dongregg » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:32 am

I wish no one had ever pointed out the ghost coat hangers. Now they get on my nerves. I mean, I really had never noticed them after dozens of viewings.

Hey, it's been a while since anybody has mentioned the red and red-orange things in just about every scene.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:17 pm

PeteMork wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:No one has yet explained to my satisfaction the swinging clothes hangers in the scene where Eli bleeds for Oskar. ;)
The interesting thing to me is that it's still swinging after a couple of scene changes, or cuts, which in 'movie time' is about 20 seconds. But who know how long it is in 'real time,' with possible pauses for camera movement and angle changes. Which could imply that it was swinging deliberately, for some reason. Unless the same careless cameraman bumped it each time. :D Or, for the more obvious reason that the ventilation system on the set created a breeze that kept it swinging. :geek: )
I never thought like that, Pete , but 're right . Maybe it's for a reason of "technical image composition" , and that, the filmmakers used it to compose an image with a dynamic background. I don´t know....
Drakeule wrote:At the pool scene, when Jimmy is walking up, you can see the camera crew in the reflection of the large windows.
I had heard that before, Drakeule. But you know I've never seen it. I mean , even pay attention , I could never see where you see the recording equipment.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Would never see it if you weren't looking for it. You actually see the crew's reflection, rather than the camera itself.

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Drakeule wrote:Would never see it if you weren't looking for it. You actually see the crew's reflection, rather than the camera itself.
No, no! I Did try to find it! But I can´t

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:46 pm

There are reflections that might be a film crew. Then there is one reflection that almost certainly is the photographer, just when the sight line becomes parallel to the railing. But it's only a dark shadow, and it's heavily out of focus.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Two things.

Kiss-Scene at the end. Eli is full of blood, kisses Oscar, moves her head away and you see Oscars face up close (by the way, he looks so cute here. Like a little boy, confused about what just happend). You see his face, he looks bloody. Blood on his lips and his nose. He looks down to the corpse, then the camera changes, we see both in a total, looking to the floor since they don't know what to say. It's the end. They know it.

But NOW Oscar has a clean face. It really bugged me... ;)

The second thing was a general observation about the movie. Watching it the first time, like 2 years ago, I just thought its a great movie. A bit amateurish, but great story, great scripted, great shots. But after seeing it again and reading alot in forums, and especially the part about making the movie, when they weren't allowed to read the script and just got an explaination before shooting the scenes, I thought this was brilliant. Many scenes appear amateurish. But that's the point. They are kids. Kids are amateurish people. They talk to each others, mumbling. They make sometimes just sounds or can't control their facial expressions (Oscar is good with that). They get the order to hug their soontobe-girlfriend and what they do instead is "taking her prisoner". I don't know what to call Oskar's hug otherwise. I "hugged" other kids that way when I was 8 years old. We called that catching. ;)

That is the very movie, and the hugging-scene maybe the very scene when I realized something about hollywood. The kids are not just kids. They are actors who play kids in scripted scenes. Yes, they are real kids. But they are kids_that_play_kids. Can anyone understand what I mean or am I too weird? Anyway, I believe the movie is so great because they are so authentic.

That is one of the reasons why noone should watch any dubbed version. You need their original sounds. I only understand "flickor", but swedish is here my language of choice.

Maybe that's my main issue with Let me in. I also wonder if I can ever again watch a movie with kids without thinking "Ah, they just act..."

intrige

Post by intrige » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Sam you are so horribly infected :twisted: welcome to the forum!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah I know. Don't know how long you guys took to get infected, I took the 72h-shortcut :cry: :lol:

intrige

Post by intrige » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:12 pm

It is usually a over the night thing. Most of us watched it once and was completely hooked. Some, quite a few did what you did. Watched it once, kind of forgot about it, then watched it again and loved it. Others have taken years to come back to it aswell. Nothing completely unusual.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:25 pm

Ooh, i did not forget it. For the two years or so I suggested that movie to anyone who wasn't able to run fast enough. And I was glad to tell anyone who asked in detail why this movie was so great. The problem was, that noone asked. I have weird friends. They love good movies, but I don't believe anyone actually heard my advice.

Once a week I meet with a friend, we cook, eat and watch a movie/series. Doing that for a long time. Dexter, Breaking Bad, Firefly, soon Strange&Norrell. Last Monday I suggested this movie. He liked it. But I'm sure he has already forgotten. But that same evening I read the whole imdb-forum, the next day I found this forum and read a lot. THe thing is, that I already loved the movie, but it was reading about it and analysing it that showed me the real beauty about it. Because there is so much to find, if you just look hard enough. At some part you just notice that you cought an addiction ;)

Whatever, it's off topic. But it's nice to have a place where you can put your thoughts.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”