Little things noticed upon re-viewing

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
ltroifanatic

Re: Little things noticed upon re-viewing

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:54 am

I was infected by watching LMI. Didn't think much about it (another Hollywood slick flick with seasoned child actors playing children.)Thought it was sort of slow until the morning after when I woke full of questions. Was the boy just another helper that the vampire wanted to enslave? How does a 12 yr old vampire survive in the 21st century ? The more I thought about it the more I had to know. I poured over the net and found out about the LTROI movie and book. By this time my wife had noticed that I had become infatuated with it so she got me the movie. My jaw dropped at the beauty of it and how much LMI had missed so much of what the story was really about. More questions. The infection was fully blown and to be honest I have never felt or thought so much about a book or movie before. I read the book and it really enhanced the movie for me. So today I can't stop reading and watching this beautiful story. It's been about a year and if anything my feelings for it are stronger than ever. It touches on subjects so diverse, so beautiful and simple yet so complex too. I really enjoy coming here to read about what other infected think and feel about it. This forum is so full of very smart and articulate people and I'm finding many of my questions are being answered. I just don't understand how the world hasn't been infected by this masterpiece.By the way ,I accidently deleted LMI but haven't downloaded it again. I'm grateful for it starting the infection but they missed the point I think. Anyhow thanks everyone .
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:43 am

I watched it again (surprise, surprise) and noticed, towards the end, when Oskar is looking threw his scrap book, when it gets to "Who killed the man in the ice?" It shows a pic of a bloody top. That's only in the book, so it struck me as strange. Sry if it's been pointed out, but there you go...

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:39 am

@ltroifanatic: you got it bad, about as bad as, well, quite a few of us. :twisted:

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 am

Drakeule wrote:I watched it again (surprise, surprise) and noticed, towards the end, when Oskar is looking threw his scrap book, when it gets to "Who killed the man in the ice?" It shows a pic of a bloody top. That's only in the book, so it struck me as strange. Sry if it's been pointed out, but there you go...
Little details like this strengthen the story. It's something that they could have left out, right? By that point in the movie both we and Oskar know the truth of what's going on. Yet they included it. Right, it's a pretty subtle point, but Oskar's seeing Eli's bloody top in the newspaper picture gives him yet one more shove, letting him know all this is real and not some dream or a game.

banjoist123

Post by banjoist123 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:33 am

Things I did not notice on first viewing: (Spoilers below)
1) Sounds! I must have watched the movie with the volume down too low. From Eli's stomach growling to the sound of wings, and the feral noises she makes when she climbs the tree. Sounds play a huge role in this movie
2) Sights. I totally missed the glowing eye/cat's eye phenomenon that happens in the basement.
3) Eli's gender. Totally went past me. I thought the post shower scene was just meant to imply that she was a pre-pubescent female at the time she was "turned".
4) Eli's momentary transformation into the old woman in the basement. I don't know how I could have missed this, it was so obvious.
I want to close my eyes very tightly, concentrate, hear the sounds around me disappear, sense the night against my closed eyelids, feel snow flakes hit my cheeks, feel the cold of the jungle gym, and hear the sound of light approaching footsteps…

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 am

Two great tricks:

1. Turn up the sound and minimize the screen so you don't get distracted by the visuals. OMFG!

2. Watch it with the sound off. Now do you see Oskar mouthing his mom's words behind her back? And the red or red-orange objects in just about every scene? I'm here to tell you...
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

banjoist123

Post by banjoist123 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm

dongregg wrote:Here's a delightful, easily-missed moment that Child_Of_The_Corn noticed:
Child_Of_The_Corn wrote:Only after many viewings did I notice this and it has become my favorite and always put a smile on my face. It's the second night that Eli and Oskar meet with the rubik's cube. We see Eli sitting on the jungle gym with a grey short sleeve turtle neck sweater and her psychedelic pants. She seems very lady like and proper with crossed legs with her hands on her lap looking straight ahead with a composed look. Then we hear Oskar running up to her off screen, she immediately brightens up and looks over to him smiling, uncrosses her legs and does this very subtle wiggle..I just think it so cute and endearing .. if you blink.. you can easily miss it.. only a fraction of a second.. but to me it conveys so much emotion in such a very small gesture. I can only imagine the great anticipation and joy she feels at being able to see and spend more time with Oskar.
:D
This scene almost hurts to watch, it is so perfectly beautiful. It is Eli reclaiming her humanity, if only for the time being, but she is so open and accessible to Oskar, and obviously very attracted to him. When she then sits next to him, and after a moment scoots nearer to him, it almost pulls the heart out of my chest. A perfectly filmed scene.
I want to close my eyes very tightly, concentrate, hear the sounds around me disappear, sense the night against my closed eyelids, feel snow flakes hit my cheeks, feel the cold of the jungle gym, and hear the sound of light approaching footsteps…

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:51 am

I never paid much attention to it before but the scene where Martin cuts Oskar's face is actually a very well done effect. If you look closely enough you can see blood welling up in the cut and Oskar's cheek slowly turning red just like it would in real life. It's very subtle but very realistic.

Also, in the kitchen scene with Eli and Håkan, what exactly is printed on the front of Eli's t-shirt? It looks like some kind of obelisk or rocket.

Marlow

Post by Marlow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 am

Immediately after Oskar is struck you can hear, if you listen closely, a high pitched tone, like a ringing in your ears or Oskar's in this case. A audio reflection of a move into a disassociative state if you are so inclined or just a narrowing of focus after a trauma if not. This is nearly sub-liminal without a careful watching. I didn't remember hearing it until I had repeatedly seen LTROI.
Du luktar konstigt

intrige

Post by intrige » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:44 pm

The ringing in his ears thing you mentioned I have always remembered hearing. Must be because not too long before I watched the movie I remember having a soccer ball shot at my head, and I heard that ringing. I guess I noticed it at the first view. I always noticed it after.

Yes I'm still here, sorry for lurking so much lately.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”