Little things noticed upon re-viewing

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
dongregg

Re: Little things noticed upon re-viewing

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:06 pm

metoo wrote:
Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:47 pm
The phrase "Är du vampyr?" is in the novel, too. Personally, I find it a little weird, it uses the noun "vampyr" as an adjective. There should be an indefinite article: "Är du en vampyr?".
This, in my view, peculiar use of the word occurs several times in the novel.
Hi metoo. Lately it occurs to me that Oskar may be asking whether Eli is behind the murders in the area. And he may have figured out that the murders could be explained if they were the work of a vampire. In that case, "Är du vampyr?" could mean, "Are you the vampire?"
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:48 am

jkwilliams wrote: I noticed something the other night when I was watching the film Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. As the ending credits are scrolling up, they slowly drift back and forth across the screen. It reminded me of the credits in LTROI, except those change colors back and forth from black to red. I guess it's up to the viewer to interpret what it's all supposed to mean.

Is this something TA does in his other films or was it just these two? :think:
Answering my own question here.

At the end of the film The Snowman, there's a little snowfall effect that happens as the credits roll. I don't know if there are other signature things that TA does in his films but he obviously likes to play with the end credits.

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 am

This has probably been mentioned before but I've never noticed it.

In the scene where Oskar is whipped by the bullies outside the school, you can hear him say the line, "Jag ramlade på rasten." after they run away. I always thought this was just dialogue from the following scene with his mother, but if you look closely, you can see him mouthing the words to himself.

Also, when Oskar and Eli are tapping Morse code to each other, you notice Oskar's wall is covered with an outdoor scene of beautiful trees but Eli's is covered with a creepy design that looks like blood veins.

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm

jkwilliams wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 am

In the scene where Oskar is whipped by the bullies outside the school, you can hear him say the line, "Jag ramlade på rasten." after they run away. I always thought this was just dialogue from the following scene with his mother, but if you look closely, you can see him mouthing the words to himself.
No jkwilliams, that is a "J cut". He is actually talking with his mother. That´s why she answerd him "Du måste vara försiktig"

SFX Secrets: The J Cut & The L Cut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyH-a964kAs

Another scene:

When Eli's father is in the kitchen, he grabs something from the table, turns around, leaves it on the other table.
Then he grabs it again and takes it back to the table where it was before.
That makes no sense!

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 pm

lor.s wrote:No jkwilliams, that is a "J cut". He is actually talking with his mother. That´s why she answerd him "Du måste vara försiktig"
I agree with you that the voice you hear comes from the next scene. What I've never noticed before is that Oskar seems to be lip-syncing that same line in this scene too. It's hard to see on a small screen but it's interesting.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 pm

lor.s wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
jkwilliams wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 am

No jkwilliams, that is a "J cut". He is actually talking with his mother. That´s why she answerd him "Du måste vara försiktig"

SFX Secrets: The J Cut & The L Cut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyH-a964kAs

Another scene:

When Eli's father is in the kitchen, he grabs something from the table, turns around, leaves it on the other table.
Then he grabs it again and takes it back to the table where it was before.
That makes no sense!
I too originally thought there was an L-cut at the end of the bullying scene (I originally learned the term "L-cut" as describing both L-cuts and J-cuts). I even said as much in my article about the LTROI sound design. However, I have come to believe that I was mistaken.

I was watching that scene recently and I recalled something that johnajvide said in the commentary track for the Swedish DVD (I have an English translation of the transcript posted here). In that transcript, JAL is translated as saying
I think that’s well written, that he changes his explanation slightly, to make it more plausible.
First he says “I fell on the lunch break”, but now he’s changed it slightly, made it more believable.
If you look carefully, as Oskar is watching the bullies run away and you hear him speak the line, "Jag ramlade på rasten," you can see that his lips are moving. This was no J-cut.

Noticing this new little bit added something to the story for me. Oskar's very first thought is the same as Connie's: How will I hide this from my mother? This realization makes this scene a bit more heart-breaking for me. Whatever cruelty Oskar endures during the actual bullying, the shame that he feels for having endured it follows him home. For Oskar, this incident does not end until he has successfully gotten his explanation past his mother. Ugh. :x
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:19 pm

dongregg wrote:
Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:49 pm
Here's a delightful, easily-missed moment that Child_Of_The_Corn noticed:
Child_Of_The_Corn wrote:Only after many viewings did I notice this and it has become my favorite and always put a smile on my face. It's the second night that Eli and Oskar meet with the rubik's cube. We see Eli sitting on the jungle gym with a grey short sleeve turtle neck sweater and her psychedelic pants. She seems very lady like and proper with crossed legs with her hands on her lap looking straight ahead with a composed look. Then we hear Oskar running up to her off screen, she immediately brightens up and looks over to him smiling, uncrosses her legs and does this very subtle wiggle..I just think it so cute and endearing .. if you blink.. you can easily miss it.. only a fraction of a second.. but to me it conveys so much emotion in such a very small gesture. I can only imagine the great anticipation and joy she feels at being able to see and spend more time with Oskar.
:D
I noticed this too, and omg it made my heart smile.
Hit back. Hard.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:06 am

That wiggle lives on in my fan fiction. She's likely to wiggle when Oskar complements her.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm

dongregg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:06 pm
metoo wrote:
Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:47 pm
The phrase "Är du vampyr?" is in the novel, too. Personally, I find it a little weird, it uses the noun "vampyr" as an adjective. There should be an indefinite article: "Är du en vampyr?".
This, in my view, peculiar use of the word occurs several times in the novel.
Hi metoo. Lately it occurs to me that Oskar may be asking whether Eli is behind the murders in the area. And he may have figured out that the murders could be explained if they were the work of a vampire. In that case, "Är du vampyr?" could mean, "Are you the vampire?"
No, in that case he would have asked "Är du vampyren?" (vampyr = "vampire", vampyren = "the vampire"), or perhaps more likely "Är det du som är vampyren?" ("Is it you who's the vampire?").
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:56 am

Like I said, "är du vampyr" doesn't feel quite right to me. I would have said "är du en vampyr".

However, in other cases I find it perfectly fine to use a noun this way in Swedish, i.e. without an indefinite article:
"Jag är läkare" (I'm a doctor, literally I'm doctor) and also "är du läkare?".
"Jag är grek." (I'm a Greek.)

What would you say about "är du vampyr", Siggdalos?
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”