Little things noticed upon re-viewing

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
ltroifanatic

Re: Little things noticed upon re-viewing

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 am

Just a couple of small things that always make me think.In the scene when Oskar buys Eli the candy,Eli is looking up at the sky.In the scene when Oskar has to walk home in shorts because the bullies have peed on his pants he stops and looks up at the sky.Is that TA just being tricky?Eli looks at the stars and Oskar looks at the sun?..Also when Eli attacks Virginia, before she attacks, Eli makes a growling barking sound.Wouldn't that telegraph her intentions before she's actually attacked?..Or is it that the"thing" in Eli has taken control and doesn't really care about its host?.Just its hunger?. :think:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 am

Interesting about looking up at sky.

As for the attack on Ginia, I just listened again. Is that loud noise Eli before she drops out of the tree? It sounds metallic, but then I'm streaming it from Amazon. I lost my TV and Blu-ray player on the subway. Not really. But lost them I did, with hope of restoring them when the time is right. I still have my Willy, though. :lol:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 pm

After Eli smiles, uncrosses her legs, and wiggles, she climbs down two shelves--bumping against Oskar as she does--and says "I just twisted it." Then she slides closer to Oskar and asks, "Do I smell better now?" Her question is so childlike and endearing. She is clueless about friendship, focusing only on what she gathered from the second meeting--that she smells funny and dresses too lightly for winter. The conversation that follows exposes just how isolated she has been, especially when she says she's "12...more or less".
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 am

dongregg wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 pm
After Eli smiles, uncrosses her legs, and wiggles, she climbs down two shelves--bumping against Oskar as she does--and says "I just twisted it." Then she slides closer to Oskar and asks, "Do I smell better now?" Her question is so childlike and endearing. She is clueless about friendship, focusing only on what she gathered from the second meeting--that she smells funny and dresses too lightly for winter. The conversation that follows exposes just how isolated she has been, especially when she says she's "12...more or less".
One of my favorite scenes.The way Oskar rattles off how old he is,to the day,as most kids probably would know and poor Eli can only give a ball park figure.The way she wiggles in expectation that maybe Oskar will notice she's washed.It's as if Eli wants to be a child just like Oskar but she's so hamstrung by her terrible past which has isolated her from simple things that are very important to all of us, but especially children.Love,acceptance,friendship.The tragedy is that Eli has no idea about them until she meets Oskar :( .No wonder we all love Eli. :wub: :wub:

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm

ltroifanatic wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 am
dongregg wrote:
One of my favorite scenes.The way Oskar rattles off how old he is,to the day,as most kids probably would know and poor Eli can only give a ball park figure.The way she wiggles in expectation that maybe Oskar will notice she's washed.It's as if Eli wants to be a child just like Oskar but she's so hamstrung by her terrible past which has isolated her from simple things that are very important to all of us, but especially children.Love,acceptance,friendship.The tragedy is that Eli has no idea about them until she meets Oskar :( .No wonder we all love Eli. :wub: :wub:
Oh my yes. I've mentioned elsewhere that a companion piece is the deleted scene on the pile of snow where Oskar is teaching Eli to play bulleri bock. Eli tries to play the game again in Oskar's bed. Having a playmate means the world to Eli. And stuff like walking around the Blackeberg square in the candy kiosk scene. Her sweater pinned with a big safety pin as she tries to dress more weather-appropriately is so poignant. :wub:

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 am

dongregg wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm
ltroifanatic wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 am
dongregg wrote:
Oh my yes. I've mentioned elsewhere that a companion piece is the deleted scene on the pile of snow where Oskar is teaching Eli to play bulleri bock. Eli tries to play the game again in Oskar's bed. Having a playmate means the world to Eli. And stuff like walking around the Blackeberg square in the candy kiosk scene. Her sweater pinned with a big safety pin as she tries to dress more weather-appropriately is so poignant. :wub:
The kiosk scene must be very close to my favorite ..Eli in her little safety pinned top.(she looks adorable).Trying to be a child again,accepting the candy,knowing that it's going to make her sick.She looks so small and confused when Oskar finds her.When he hugs her,still holding on to the bag of candy they both look so innocent and childlike.Words often fail me when I try to talk about LTROI.It's so beautiful it takes my breath away and scrambles my brain.( haha my wife would say my brain's been scrambled long before I discovered LTROI)..All this talk about it has wet my appetite.I think I'll go and watch it again right now and just let it wash over me :wub: :wub:

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Oskar and his mother seem to have grown so far apart they're not able to have a real conversation anymore. And when they do talk to each other, I noticed TA often shows them in different rooms.

The scene with the two of them brushing their teeth is funny but it's also sad because this is what their relationship is now. They can share this little moment together because neither one of them is saying anything. I think Oskar realizes that when he goes to his mother's bedroom later on. He's hoping he can talk with her but knows that's impossible.

ltroifanatic wrote:..Also when Eli attacks Virginia, before she attacks, Eli makes a growling barking sound.Wouldn't that telegraph her intentions before she's actually attacked?..Or is it that the"thing" in Eli has taken control and doesn't really care about its host?.Just its hunger?. :think:
Yeah, I've wondered what that noise was too. I think I also hear it when Eli kills Jocke and Lacke. Something takes a deep breath and then there's a loud bark when she attacks.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Great observations, jk.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 pm

jkwilliams wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Oskar and his mother seem to have grown so far apart they're not able to have a real conversation anymore. And when they do talk to each other, I noticed TA often shows them in different rooms.

... I think Oskar realizes that when he goes to his mother's bedroom later on. He's hoping he can talk with her but knows that's impossible....
I've always wondered why he turned on the light. Was he actually hoping she'd wake up? It would certainly be an awkward time for them to have a talk... :think:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 pm
jkwilliams wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

... I think Oskar realizes that when he goes to his mother's bedroom later on. He's hoping he can talk with her but knows that's impossible....
I've always wondered why he turned on the light. Was he actually hoping she'd wake up? It would certainly be an awkward time for them to have a talk... :think:
There are two scenes that seem to me to show that Oskar is acting on a nascent yearning to transition from childhood. But I'm not sure that he's aware that it's what he's doing. The scenes are looking in on his sleeping mom and later closing the doors or hoods of his car collection. I guess only TA and JAL know the answer.

Edit: I guess you could toss in Oskar leaving his dad's in the middle of the night. "Time to choose sides." He goes to Eli's apartment instead of to his mom.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”