Puzzle I just made

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
PeteMork

Re: Puzzle I just made

Post by PeteMork » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:00 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:What approach did you take? I separated out the blue piece first and assembled them. Then, I found all the edge pieces and made the frame - that was really hard. And then I seperated out all of the black pieces and slogged through them - these turned out to be Oskar's jacket, pants, boots, and the carpeting. Along the way I found face pieces and enough of Lina's pastel colored top to put that together. It was really hard! For me, the wallpaper was last to get done.
I separated out all the edges and worked on the frame first, but put together bits of Oskar and Eli in the process. It turns out they were more than 3/4 assembled by the time the frame was finished. My biggest problem was moving the pieces around in the limited space provided. The carpet was next, and the wallpaper was last. I found that I put the last of it together more by shape than color. I don't know if it was a problem with my screen or not, but the subtle colors on individual pieces seemed to change just a bit when I finally fit them in place, making the sorting by color more difficult. All in all, it was great fun.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Space is a problem. Here's what I'm doing. I pile up similar pieces into a single pile. That includes the frame--a pile for the top and a pile for each of the sides. I want to keep the bottom area open for work, so, for the bottom frame, I put the pieces in a pile off to one side. Large same-color areas get the same treatment. After that, I have room to work at the bottom on whatever part of the puzzle I want to work on.

It's 3:45 PM. I'm about to start http://five.flash-gear.com/npuz/puz.php ... k=85107800

Edit: 5:15 PM Forget it. White pieces don't show the whole outline, and there are a bunch of white pieces. Cool poster, though.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am

Yes it was addicting, I couldnt stop. It was just easy enough to keep me thinking I could do it quickly and so kept at it til I finished. It really helped that I knew the pieces were all facing right side up.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 pm

dongregg wrote:Space is a problem. Here's what I'm doing. I pile up similar pieces into a single pile. That includes the frame--a pile for the top and a pile for each of the sides. I want to keep the bottom area open for work, so, for the bottom frame, I put the pieces in a pile off to one side. Large same-color areas get the same treatment. After that, I have room to work at the bottom on whatever part of the puzzle I want to work on.

It's 3:45 PM. I'm about to start http://five.flash-gear.com/npuz/puz.php ... k=85107800

Edit: 5:15 PM Forget it. White pieces don't show the whole outline, and there are a bunch of white pieces. Cool poster, though.
I gave this a try. I couldn't figure it all out, but here's how far along I was with it. Thanks!!!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Wow, good work. You got farther along than I did. I have a lot of images from and about LTROI, but a lot of them wouldn't work well as puzzles. I thought plenty of them would, but now I see what some of the required elements are. If you look up GodofVampires' avatar, you'll see one that I'd like to try--Eli's bloody face after she kills Lacke, but I don't know how GoV got it. Screen capture, I guess, but I don't know how to do that. I regularly search the Web for images, but I haven't found any new ones for a while. :(
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 am

Finished the poster puzzle, at the second attempt. The first time I was left with a single white piece that I couldn't get in place, even though I tried for a good while.

My method:

Avoid dropping any pieces into the final positions until the puzzle is complete. That way you can place a white piece or sub-assembly on top of a dark region of another sub assembly, and thus make the complete outline visible. The same applies to holes in a white region of a sub assembly - move a dark sub assembly so that it covers the hole, and then click the assembly with the hole. The latter is then lifted to the top, the white hole becomes dark and its shape is revealed.

Also avoid joining all sub assemblies, but leave at least two dark ones separate until there are no single pieces left.

And, of course, begin with sorting pieces after general colour and pattern, and sort out the edge pieces. But that's basic, I would think.

:ugeek:
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:56 pm

In my fav web browser, I can hit [CTRL}+ to increase display's the font size and [CTRL]- to decrease it. When I was stuck trying to make the poster, I typed in several [CTRL}+ to in effect "zoom in" on the pieces. I had to click inside the browser window , off to the side of the region where the puzzle is being done. BUT in the process of my trying several of these [CTRL}+ and [CTRL]- entries I found there were some pieces that had started the session off at the edges of the white-on-white display! I really had been about to quit, but after finding these extra pieces I dragged them to the center and got a good bit further.

I think the game is smart enough not to do this on its own but I stumbled into it by mistake. My suggestion is to NOT try the [CTRL]+ or [CTRL]- ability before or during the puzzle.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:11 pm

dongregg wrote:Wow, good work. You got farther along than I did. I have a lot of images from and about LTROI, but a lot of them wouldn't work well as puzzles. I thought plenty of them would, but now I see what some of the required elements are. If you look up God of Vampires' avatar, you'll see one that I'd like to try--Eli's bloody face after she kills Lacke, but I don't know how GoV got it. Screen capture, I guess, but I don't know how to do that. I regularly search the Web for images, but I haven't found any new ones for a while. :(
Yeah, this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35118410@N04/3255911367 It's at 1:38:34 in the streaming Amazon version of the film. The color is not as good as the flickr shot. Well, I don't know how to get the flickr one or the film one. It looks like I at least have to be a member of both Yahoo and flickr. I guess I'll go through that rigamarole next.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Yay! I did it. Here's the puzzle with Eli's bloody face. http://four.flash-gear.com/npuz/puz.php ... k=37716846

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”