Archiving IMDB Discussion Board Threads

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
gymmy64

Re: Archiving IMDB Discussion Board Threads

Post by gymmy64 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 pm

jkwilliams wrote:It's sad to think all those discussions through the years are going to be gone forever. I'd love to be able to go back and read the posts that were made when the film first opened.
As everyone probably already knows, those early posts were gone a loooong time ago. Their disappearance led to the creation of this forum, so I can't say I regret that it happened. There were some priceless discussions on that board, especially in the fall of 2008 and early 2009, and a bunch of great contributors who never made it over here. The traffic was so fast and furious, it was almost like a chat board; your posts would be answered in a matter of seconds. For a film that was in very limited release at the time, the activity was almost insane.

As for the demise of the IMDB boards in general, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now. The boards were great around the turn of the century, but they quickly degenerated as more and more people started using them. The relative lack of moderation was always a pain, but in recent years some of the boards essentially became cesspools.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:25 am

dongregg wrote:I've posted a lot on IMDb. Said I wouldn't, but I'm so out of the Internet loop that I would not have learned what trolls are otherwise.

I didn't write anything on IMDb that I didn't write at much greater length on WTI. Which raises the question -- How can I archive stuff from our forum? I copied just about all of StrayAway's brilliant posts, but almost none of my own posts. And then there are the fan fictions. Oh my.
The shortcomings of the IMDB chat boards are the Genesis of this site. I was aghast that all of those great discussions about LTROI were deleted after 3 months. There was at least one person who frequented the LTROI board who actually worked at FIDO on the effects for this film. All of the insights that this person offered, gone. There were cool inside tidbits like: for some reason, there were three lifesize partial dolls made of Lina. (I think that possibly one of them was used for Jocke to wrestle with in the tunnel in some shots.) This person was there when they slathered her up with the latex to make the mold.

I resolved to make a site where discussions of this story could be kept available indefinitely. That is still my intention. So to answer your question
dongregg wrote:How can I archive stuff from our forum?
Please, allow me. 8-)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 am

With pleasure!

How does it work? Or are you saying it would be superfluous because the site already is the archive? Anyway, your words are an abundance of good news. :)

Lina's a trouper, isn't she?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:34 am

dongregg wrote: Or are you saying it would be superfluous because the site already is the archive?
This. I may not post very often any more, but every weekend I do a manual database backup of both the forum and the Fan Content area. Should anything ever happen to make it impossible for me to run this site, the content could be transferred to someone else.
dongregg wrote:Lina's a trouper, isn't she?
I have been musing recently about her casting as Eli. I think that in order for this film to work as it does, the viewer must be able to have a sympathetic view of Eli. It must become reasonable that Oskar could fall in love with Eli, because what ever else she is, she is a monster. So the film has make sure that we the audience find ways to see past the monster, to see what Oskar might see or to at least understand that he sees something else. So we get the "you must invite me in" scene, where she makes herself vulnerable to Oskar. We get the candy scene, where she humiliates herself in an attempt to please Oskar. We get the bathroom scene, where she is shown as an innocent sleeping child with a knife to her throat.

But lately I have been pondering that Tomas hedged his bets in this regard. As we see interviews with Lina, we get the sense (or at least I do), that at heart she just a likeable person. She seems shy and soft-spoken, but always amiable and pleasant. I wonder if maybe in addition to acting ability and being a visual compliment to Kåre, Tomas got a sense of her likeability and thought that some of it would come across on the screen in her portrayal of Eli.

The Eli that we see first on the jungle gym is very much the Eli of the novel: direct, blunt, confident. However, by the time of the third meeting, after she has solved the cube, we a somewhat shy and diffident Eli. This is not a picture of Eli that I ever got from the novel, but it is an Eli that is essential to the film. I think that this is the scene where we first start to like Eli, where we first start to see past the monster. I think that perhaps this where Lina starts to give part of own character Eli, and that Tomas had counted on it.

Wow, this was way off-topic. Sorry. :oops:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”