Archiving IMDB Discussion Board Threads

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
a_contemplative_life

Archiving IMDB Discussion Board Threads

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 pm

I have been playing around with saving some of the discussion threads at IMDB so that I will have access to them after then are removed/deleted. I can do a Web Archive with Safari, or print a page to PDF. The latter sometimes comes through with formatting errors making the discussions hard to read, and the former appears to create a file that can be viewed only with Safari. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jcckidz

Re: Archiving IMDB Discussion Board Threads

Post by jcckidz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Copy and paste onto a word doc?

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Have you checked if they are archived at the Internet Archive? (http://archive.org/web/web.php)
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Can you send me a sample Safari archive?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:45 pm

I have saved some things from here as word docs.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 am

I have briefly examined a webarchive that ACL has kindly provided and found its content might be decipherable by an appropriately knowledgeable person with time, effort, trials and probably prodigiously long streams of foul language. Google agrees, since I've found nothing that would help me (directly) use Safair webarchive files on my native Linux platform.

Some of the googling around I've done suggests that Safari can output directly to PDF. This might be a viable option, but for this kind of work, I'd find curating a growing mass of such files cumbersome. PDF can be troublesome to work with.

As I've argued in the past (addressing issues of language and culture) that this board is essentially international; I'm now suggesting that it's also pan-platform. Recent estimates put Windows as having roughly 85% of the desktop share (and declining somewhat), 10% Macintosh, and then there's the rest of us lost little denizens using "arcane" or "toy" operating systems such as various forms of Linux, flavours of BSD, and for all of me, there may be folks here using System 5, Xenix, Minix, OpenVMS and whatnot.

I've fired up Firefox (on Linux), taken the trouble to dig up the password to my IMDB account and bopped on over an LTROI topic of discussion with the view set to "flat" and did a File->Save As. An examination of the files that are saved under this regimen appear to be of a "lowest common denominator" form that, I suspect, could be opened by any number of browsers. I've verified this with another browser called Konqueror (it comes with the KDE desktop environment under Linux).

I've done no further investigating, but from this form, it may be possible to save such files as flat text that could be traversed and chunked with a view towards storing the messages in a formal database.

Firefox and its forks, siblings, rebrandings and minor deviants are available for all of what I'm calling the "major" operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and *BSD. Using this browser for this purpose, in my opinion at this time, offers the best hope for maximum accessibility.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 am

sauvin wrote:Firefox and its forks, siblings, rebrandings and minor deviants are available for all of what I'm calling the "major" operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and *BSD. Using this browser for this purpose, in my opinion at this time, offers the best hope for maximum accessibility.
I agree. I do this as a matter of course for all interviews that I find. I use Firefox to save the page as "Web Page, complete". Then I can open the local copy later and save it again in whatever of the other formats I want. Doing it in this fashion saves all of the source files separately instead of cramming them into one (proprietary format) archive file.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Bit of a necropost, but I was wondering if anyone was intending to archive the relevant boards on IMDB following the announcement that they are permanently closing the discussion forum?

There is until the 19th Feb 2017 to collect anything that people want to archive.

This is a sad development as I have spent many hours discussing Let The Right One In with fans and detractors alike, on that site. Part of me still can't quite believe it's happening ... but it is :cry:

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 am

I've posted a lot on IMDb. Said I wouldn't, but I'm so out of the Internet loop that I would not have learned what trolls are otherwise.

I didn't write anything on IMDb that I didn't write at much greater length on WTI. Which raises the question -- How can I archive stuff from our forum? I copied just about all of StrayAway's brilliant posts, but almost none of my own posts. And then there are the fan fictions. Oh my.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:18 am

The message boards are the only thing that kept me going back to IMDb. It's sad to think all those discussions through the years are going to be gone forever. I'd love to be able to go back and read the posts that were made when the film first opened.

And Ika Nord still doesn't have a decent profile pic.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”