Happy Faces

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
a_contemplative_life

Happy Faces

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:18 pm

There aren't too many moments in LTROI where people express genuine happiness, but I thought it would be fun to find them. I'll offer a few:

1. When Oskar finds his Rubik's Cube solved on the jungle gym - big, sweet, uninhibited smile (with a nice cut to the sleeping Eli immediately thereafter)

2. When Oskar approaches Eli on the jungle gym to talk about the solving of the Cube - Eli is sitting at the top and I think you can see her smile in an excited way. Then as she is sitting next to Oskar she obviously looks very happy.

3. When Oskar is riding behind his Dad at his father's house.

4. The exchange of smiles between Oskar and Eli in the pool. I like the fact that we can't really see Eli's smile, but we know it's there.

5. Oskar's smile when Eli taps "little kiss" on the train at the end.

I thought about Oskar's moment of triumph on the pond, but I will not include that because I'm not sure that's happiness. I suppose one could debate that, but anyways...

decltype

Re: Happy Faces

Post by decltype » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:23 pm

• In the basement, Oskar is really enthusiastic, and Eli is happy for him.
  • There are exchanges of smiles before and after Eli changes.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:21 pm

And don't forget the smile and wave they share after Eli has jumped (or flown) from Oskar's window to her own.

And the shot immediately afterward as an obviously happy Eli hums to herself while doing the puzzle on the floor.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Wolfchild wrote:And the shot immediately afterward as an obviously happy Eli hums to herself while doing the puzzle on the floor.
I remember from the UK DVD, that that scene was supposed to be very desolate, presumably showing a lonely Eli in contrast to a happy Eli with Oskar, but I don't think anyone sees it that way.
Bli mig lite.

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:47 am

lombano wrote:
Wolfchild wrote:And the shot immediately afterward as an obviously happy Eli hums to herself while doing the puzzle on the floor.
I remember from the UK DVD, that that scene was supposed to be very desolate, presumably showing a lonely Eli in contrast to a happy Eli with Oskar, but I don't think anyone sees it that way.
I agree with lombano and Wolf; Eli has indeed been living a lonely, desolate existence, but now with Oskar in her life she has a reason to hum and smile even if she's alone at the moment.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 am

... and Oskar joins her a few hours later. Yvonne's alarm clock shows 0200 when he leaves his apartment.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”