Why is Eli sympathetic?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
protostar_01

Re: Why is Eli sympathetic?

Post by protostar_01 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:08 am

TAPETRVE wrote:One totally simple fact why everybody likes Eli is, because she's extremely cute :D .
So very true

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:32 am

protostar_01 wrote:What I find interesting about the movie is that the first two major scenes with Eli we are not presented with a sympathetic version of her. The scenes I'm talking about are "I can't be friends with you" and the tirade at Hakan for his failure to bring back blood. For me, the turning point in the film where we see a new sympathetic side of Eli is the Rubik's cube scene. After that scene Eli is presented generally in a sympathetic manner throughout the rest of the movie.
I more than agree with you. I think that within limits of being a vampire Eli is presented as the most sympathetic character in the film. I talk a bit about this on my LTROI fan site. Besides Lina is just so damned appealing as Eli that we would be willing to forgive Eli almost anything.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

genie47

Post by genie47 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:47 am

Nice to see that you have expanded that section.
Låt den rätte komma in in both its printed and celluloid form is a slow acting poison. You will be poisoned white. White from arsenic and innocence.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:37 am

I agree that Eli is a character deserving of sympathy, when it comes to difficult choices she usually makes the right one and she doesn't corrupt Oskar either. That's a good article your site too Wolfie :)

So the question that has to be asked is, why do some people who see the film believe that Eli is a ruthless manipulator that is just looking for another servant?
Team Eli

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:42 am

speaking of the expanded section, I agree with most of what you say except for Virginia. She's a really sympathetic character, but if we're nitpicking everyone except for Eli, I'd have to say her flaw was not her choice of victims. She abandoned Lacke too easily. I mean, she was in a hospital bed with a blood transfusion. That's like being served an all you can eat buffet in bed :D And her lover was all ready to start a new life with her and Virginia had to chose the burning and dying. Her suicide was really cruel to Lacke, basically saying that your dreams isn't enough to make my life worth living. I forgot if she actually said goodbye or not, but the fact that Lacke was with her in the hospital makes her last act in life was really cruel and her circumstances were better than Eli's.

EDIT. Thanks to Wolfie for the shout-out on the main page.

Book spoilers.
At least Virginia had a reason for choosing Gosta, vs. Eli's I'll wait under the bridge for the first person to come by style of noming. Virginia chose Gosta because she wanted someone that would invite her in AND wouldn't be missed by anyone. So Gosta wasn't really a friend, just the local crazy cat man.
Last edited by cmfireflies on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:46 am

OOO Aurora, I also have a theory about why some people don't find Eli sympathetic. I'll post it later, if I can sort my thoughts out. It also has to do with Oskar's passiveness making the relationship unequal.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

genie47

Post by genie47 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:47 am

Aurora wrote: So the question that has to be asked is, why do some people who see the film believe that Eli is a ruthless manipulator that is just looking for another servant?
I think this depends on how your world is colored. Someone did suggest this movie is a Rorschach test of some kind.

I mean we have two Youtube reviews which talks of Eli as a pedophile herself preying on poor Oskar.

This movie requires several viewings. Not some hack and slash leave the popcorn behind movie.
Låt den rätte komma in in both its printed and celluloid form is a slow acting poison. You will be poisoned white. White from arsenic and innocence.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu

genie47

Post by genie47 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53 am

cmfireflies wrote:AND wouldn't be missed by anyone.
This is the main reason Gosta was chosen. I do agree Ginia is indeed cruel to Lacke. It signaled that everything was lost to her. Not even Lacke's overtures for a new life did nothing to salvage their relationship. But you can't blame her. People don't want to share dreams or a cottage in the countryside. She is basically Eli and Lacke is her Hakan. He didn't give her what she really needed. The loss of Jocke was more than losing Ginia and this didn't sit well with her.

Zhoutai21

Post by Zhoutai21 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:01 am

I'll wait under the bridge for the first person to come by style of noming.
^^^ That's badass, yo.

I think people might view Eli as being manipulative because I think maybe it's because vampires in mythologies, movies, etc. have been manipulative in some way. Least that's what I read. Remember Leslie Nielson from Dracula Dead and Loving It!? Manipulative sonofabitch vampire right there! :lol:
ಠ_ಠ

protostar_01

Post by protostar_01 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:13 am

genie47 wrote:I think this depends on how your world is colored. Someone did suggest this movie is a Rorschach test of some kind.
I'm in total agreement with you on this.
genie47 wrote:This movie requires several viewings. Not some hack and slash leave the popcorn behind movie.
So true.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”