Why is Eli sympathetic?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
genie47

Re: Why is Eli sympathetic?

Post by genie47 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:28 am

cmfireflies wrote:she found Oskar.

Also, centuries of loneliness didn't turn Eli into a whiny emo or an uncaring monster.
I think this has to do with her being really frozen in that state. Her psychological development as well as her body. No puberty, no adolescence, no problem! :lol:

It is true that she can feel the fear of a psychological death (AKA loneliness) but this goes with any age from childhood to adulthood. So this is pretty much common to all of us.

I think this is where we can envy Eli. She didn't progress from being a child mentally and physically. Well, the envy is from us adults. From a child's point of view, I assume someone like Eli and Oskar, they envy the adults because we have this sense of "control" over our circumstances and environment. But well, as you and I know it, there isn't much to control at this end as well.
Låt den rätte komma in in both its printed and celluloid form is a slow acting poison. You will be poisoned white. White from arsenic and innocence.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu

Zhoutai21

Post by Zhoutai21 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 am

I have nothing to add to this thread but...NR Gasan!!! This is Reed from the Icons of Fright page. XD I hope I didn't come off as harsh when I said the subs weren't wrong. :D
ಠ_ಠ

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:04 am

Reed-meister!

Good to "see" you here. And, no, I don't think you came off as harsh at IOF; you were right to point out my error and I'm glad that you did. I was most embarrassed at my mistake; I loath misinformation and strive to avoid this. It is very uncharacteristic of me to make such mistakes. But as I pointed out in my subsequent post, I relied on my memory rather than double-check the scene. Duhhh! Had you not corrected my error, others might very well have been mislead and too many folks have been waiting for the new DVDs to be released. So we are definitely good, you and me. :)

This is a good fan site, yes? It is evolving nicely; not just growing in size, but also attracting quality people. I really dislike sites that foster negativity. Wolfchild is a good moderator. I imagine we will "speak" again soon. Take care.

NR

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:41 am

If we keep caring for and regularly visiting this site, Woofy might have reason enough to maintain and expand it. However, if interest was lost all to soon, our community would be dying quickly. I don't hope that. LTROI is not a movie to feed on and forget, it is a movie that stays with you a lifetime.
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

Zhoutai21

Post by Zhoutai21 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:36 am

To Gasan: High five! :lol: Byah! We're good!

To Tape: Ya seriously. This thing we call a movie won't leave my head. In fact, my love for the movie and the characters grows each time I watch it.

But yeah, I'd say this is a very good forum right now with a good group of people. We have our serious posters such as Wolf, genie, Tape, Gareth, Vox and others. Then we have the jokers...or those that try to joke and utterly fail.... *points at self* :lol:

In the words of Big Boss, "This is good, isn't it?" 8-)
ಠ_ಠ

gareth1971

Post by gareth1971 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:48 am

Eh - when did I become serious?!!?

There may not be many of us here, but quality is better than quantity!

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:52 am

And that's why we should stay a little bit elitist and not boast about our existence too much on the web 8-) :D .

Zhoutai21

Post by Zhoutai21 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 am

Hmm, well if we do that, we won't have any repeat questions like on imdb. But at the same time, can we actually keep coming up with new topics?

Well, you guys can come up with the serious back and forth discussions. I'll come up with the nice diversions that everyone can look at for a breather. :lol:

And Gareth, you just are, mate. :mrgreen: :lol:
ಠ_ಠ

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:35 pm

TAPETRVE wrote:And that's why we should stay a little bit elitist and not boast about our existence too much on the web 8-) :D .
Actually this is the opposite of what I want. We will eventually get bored talking to each other. We need new people to bring in new ideas and fresh perspectives. If there really becomes a cadre of people who want their own community I can always set up a private forum section.

I'm still working on getting content into the site, but eventually I will turn to SEO and that should bring in a small flood of people (if I do it right). This site originated from ADeLarge's idea and the original vision to also have a Content Management System so that people could upload fan fiction, artwork etc. Unfortunately ADeLarge appears to have run out of bandwidth to drive the CMS effort, so I'm worried that will fall by the wayside.

I actually run this site to give something back to the online community of LTROI fans that I found mostly at IMDB. My interactions with them (you) helped me to understand exactly why this movie affected me the way it has. And since I hate feeling like a quitter, I'm going to take this site as far as it can go for as long as it seems to be relevant.

"I finish things. That's what I do..." Or at least what I aim to do. ;)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Yup, you're right, but we should at least chose our "ad spaces" wisely. This site being assailed by Twilight fangirls on a hating rampage doesn't bear contemplating :D .

If there's anything that can be done in order to help you, feel free to ask anytime ;) . I think, if the site produced some success, it might be worth improving further on the overall design. You bought and pay for the domain, after all. Would be a pity to waste money on something that doesn't receive any attention.

I also started spreading the word and trying to convince people of this movie - with remarkable success. The only pity is, many of even those who liked the movie didn't feel like watching it again. However, I refered them to this board and invited them into the disussion. Let's see, how many will join us.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”