Feminist Analysis

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Aurora

Re: Feminist Analysis

Post by Aurora » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm going to stick to gender stereotypes for a moment and admit that I dislike most war films and like a lot of (but by no means all) chick flicks. Also I agree that lots of women like horror and crime films and that most men I know like action films. As far as westerns go my favourite would have to be The Big Country a film that's all about complicated relationships between people and about about doing the right thing even when it's the most difficult choice.

To Dragonclaws I'd like to say that's a good blog with some excellent commentary :)
Team Eli

bore

Post by bore » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Dragonclaws wrote:According to Wikipedia, the counterpart to the chick flick is the guy-cry film. "The Oregonian compilied a list of "films that make men cry", that includes Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and The Passion of the Christ, among many others." That sounds like what's being discussed here. I wouldn't categorize LTROI as that, though.
LtROI - A vampire movie by a director who doesn't like horror movies, based on a novel by a comedian. Lead role played by a first time actor who want to be a musician and featuring a castrated boy vampire played by a girl.
I am going to be very impressed if anyone manges to categorize LtROI as something we all can agree on :)

But no, guy-cry films was not what I was pointing at. I just reacted strongly to the notion that guys don't like movies about relationship. I felt that that statement was so.. well, I simply reject that.
I do however believe that most men have a slightly different view of relationships than most women (Not that I think that it is easy to find two persons regardless of gender who shares the same view of relationships.) and thus they will like different movies depending on how the relationship is depicted.
I also like to point out that regardless of what kind of movies you like or what gender you are you are hardly going to like a movie if it doesn't touches you in any way. It does not matter if the movie makes you sad, happy, hopeful or angry, if the movie doesn't make you feel it is pointless. I guess this is what bothered me with CC's statement. I think that everyone watches movies because of the emotions they bring. To say that men doesn't like movies about relationship implies that men doesn't like the feelings related to relationships.

Oddly enough I didn't really like Spirited Away that much but I can stand to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a few more times. (Just like LtROI the IMDB boards are filled with "Was it true love or just manipulation"-treads and just like with LtROI I am a firm believer of true love.)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 am

Oddly enough I didn't really like Spirited Away that much but I can stand to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a few more times.
I liked those both very much. Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday were also great for different reasons.
In the isolation/loneliness/doomed-love stakes, Voices of a Distant Star is the winner hands down. Only 25 minutes long, but it rips my heart out every time I watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTeIB-HC ... re=related

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:03 am

ok, just skimmed this thread, so I'm not sure if we're still talking about this and this has certainly been brought up before but:

LtROI is almost the anti-chick flick. Taking Eli as a girl, it reverses the gender roles and is almost a different type of male wish-fulfillment. A long time ago, someone compared LtROI to a classic knight rescues princess story, with the genders flipped. Eli rescues Oskar with bloody violence and the ride off into the sunset together.

But I think the appeal of LtROI from a male perspective isn't having Eli as a super-strong protector or a maternal figure. After all, Oskar has a loving mom already and he explicitly rejects her offers of protection At its heart LtROI is about unconditional love. Oskar didn't have to woo Eli, there wasn't three tasks he had to complete to prove himself worthy. He acted naturally, gave her a Rubix cube and struck up the friendship. His hitting Conney, the weight training wasn't things he did to earn Eli's love, Oskar already had it. He did those things because he was inspired by Eli's love to become a better person.

Part of the appeal I guess would be that Oskar isn't the traditional romantic lead who overcomes all obstacles to prove his love, the love is already there. The male character didn't have to buy a diamond, be suave or powerful to get the girl, and it's still a very equal and fulfilling relationship.

I guess the other side is that it's a very pro-feminist story in that the girl isn't just sitting back waiting to be wooed. But then again, Eli's not a girl.

Eh, I'm tired, so sorry if this is off-topic, rambling or unclear.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Dragonclaws

Post by Dragonclaws » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Okay, so I made a video review of LTROI and incorporated ideas discussed here. As I'm asserting that the copyighted content used is not illegal due to fair use, I don't think there's any issue with it being accessible in certain countries.
After uploading it, it bugs me that the trailer segment at the beginning is about 20 seconds longer than it needs to be, I think I mispronounced Lacke's name, and I totally should have skipped the cheesy joke at 1:19. So, sorry about that.
"The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems." --River, Firefly

bore

Post by bore » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Dragonclaws wrote:Okay, so I made a video review of LTROI and incorporated ideas discussed here. As I'm asserting that the copyighted content used is not illegal due to fair use, I don't think there's any issue with it being accessible in certain countries.

Let the Right One In: Review

After uploading it, it bugs me that the trailer segment at the beginning is about 20 seconds longer than it needs to be, I think I mispronounced Lacke's name, and I totally should have skipped the cheesy joke at 1:19. So, sorry about that.
I watched trough it. I agree with most of it. The pronunciation of Lacke isn't that bad, I was trying to find a word or a clip on youtube where someone says a word with the correct pronunciation of the 'a' in it. Then I realized that Lacke names is mentioned several times in the movie. :oops:

A minor nitpick is that the man who opens the blinds probably is a nurse, not a doctor. (The way he behaves and how he is dressed indicates this.)
This might be a bit anachronistic since it is still very common with male doctors and female nurses but I don't think it was considered impossible back then for a male to be a nurse. (Even if he probably was teased a lot about it.)

Edit: And yes, you should probably have skipped the cheesy joke, or made it a bit longer or synced it better with the music. I thought it was quite clever but the execution felt a bit lacking.
Last edited by bore on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

bore wrote:
Dragonclaws wrote:Okay, so I made a video review of LTROI and incorporated ideas discussed here. As I'm asserting that the copyighted content used is not illegal due to fair use, I don't think there's any issue with it being accessible in certain countries.

Let the Right One In: Review

I watched trough it. I agree with most of it. The pronunciation of Lacke isn't that bad, I was trying to find a word or a clip on youtube where someone says a word with the correct pronunciation of the 'a' in it. Then I realized that Lacke names is mentioned several times in the movie. :oops:

A minor nitpick is that the man who opens the blinds probably is a nurse, not a doctor. (The way he behaves and how he is dressed indicates this.)
This might be a bit anachronistic since it is still very common with male doctors and female nurses but I don't think it was considered impossible back then for a male to be a nurse. (Even if he probably was teased a lot about it.)
Maybe he was an orderly.

Angelmaker

Post by Angelmaker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm

In the book it's a female nurse. Not sure why they changed it to a man in the film. Not that it really matters
But he, whose heart a skogsrå steals it never will recover. His soul will long for moonlight dreams and no mere mortal lover...

Dragonclaws

Post by Dragonclaws » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Forgive my ignorance of medical staff and comedic timing. The blood on face thing is just something that kept going through my head.
"The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems." --River, Firefly

bore

Post by bore » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:05 am

Dragonclaws wrote:Forgive my ignorance of medical staff and comedic timing. The blood on face thing is just something that kept going through my head.
Hey, I didn't say that I didn't enjoy it! I thought the entire clip was very interesting. :geek:
(And I know that feeling when you get a silly idea and have to vent it somehow.)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”