Eli and the Wall: Interpretation please?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
jonjon_z

Eli and the Wall: Interpretation please?

Post by jonjon_z » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Sorry if this was answered somewhere else I haven't seen it.

Right after Hakan pours acid over his head as he cries, "Eli...", we're cut to the next scene. The two scenes are separated in transition but the sad forlorn music of "Then We Are Together" spills over to where Eli is seen at Oscar's wall making an attempt to tap on the wall, to reach out to him, but then stops herself.
Did she sense something was wrong with Hakan? She didn't know for sure until she heard the radio. Or was that a subconscious act to reach out to Oskar knowing he wasn't there? Whatever is the case this a powerful and moving scene and I'm not sure why. Her only portal to the outside world is shut. The music, placement of her possessions, even the contrast of her small frame against the large wall, emphasize her sense of isolation, loneliness and despair.
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

crazychristina

Re: Eli and the Wall: Interpretation please?

Post by crazychristina » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm

The clock reads 10.20pm I think. Probably the first time Hakan hasn't returned in good time. From the book he wanted to get back from his expeditions before it got too late, although that isn't made clear in the film. Given his misgivings before he set out, and the fact that he took the acid with him at all, I'm sure she's worried. She probably also knew Oskar was not at home. I'm sure he would have told her when he was going to be away at his father's place.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Others have suggested that Eli, not aware that Oskar was not home, was tempted to tap to him, but refrained because she had promised Hakan that she would not see him.

rgh

Post by rgh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:57 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:Others have suggested that Eli, not aware that Oskar was not home, was tempted to tap to him, but refrained because she had promised Hakan that she would not see him.
That is the way I interpreted it. Eli wants to reach out, but doesn't want to break her promise not to see Oskar that night.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Same here.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Although I would hasten to add that I never thought Eli gave Hakan much of a consent in that face-touching scene. It's very subtle.

rgh

Post by rgh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Although I would hasten to add that I never thought Eli gave Hakan much of a consent in that face-touching scene. It's very subtle.
It was very subtle, but I believe there was an affirmative nod.
Last edited by rgh on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 am

As a matter of prudence it would have been unwise for Eli to start any through the wall conversation, after all it could be Oskar's mum in his room. Oskar certainly didn't seem to want her to know about his new friend, even before he realized Eli was a vampire. But there was a lot he didn't want her to know - his scrapbook, his knife, his shoplifting (in the book). The bullying. A secret life. Instead of the world rejecting him, he rejected the world. A much better position to be in. Sorry, a bit OT.

jonjon_z

Post by jonjon_z » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 am

I figured she sensed something was wrong and trying to reach Oskar in a moment of sadness but realized he was either at his Father's or asleep and didn't want to wake him. It didn't occur to me she was concerned about Hakan. Thanks for the input guys! :)
Last edited by jonjon_z on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Others have suggested that Eli, not aware that Oskar was not home, was tempted to tap to him, but refrained because she had promised Hakan that she would not see him.
I think so too.
jonjon_z wrote: Sad forlorn music of "Then We Are Together" spills over to where Eli is seen at Oscar's wall making an attempt to tap on the wall.
It's "Death of Håkan" that is playing, not "Then we are together" ;)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”