Film Memorabilia

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Marlow

Re: Film Memorabilia

Post by Marlow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 am

:(

Darn, Oskar's stripey polo jumper sold. Of what was available, this is the piece I most wanted. It's not like I didn't have time to aquire it, I knew about it for months, so I have no one to blame but myself. The brown sweater should be a companion piece. Whoever bought the stripey needs to buy the sweater!

BTW, this stripey, I am sure that each major wardrobe piece is doubled and with the fake blood maybe some are multiples of multiples, this stripey is ripped at the neck seam. I think it may have been ripped during the bathroom take down by Conny.

I know many will disagree, but to me the most iconic wardrobe item in LTROI is Oskar's scarf. It is Oskar's signature. I wonder who has it? JAL? Kare? Does it still exist? I was told by an expert knitter that the scarf is relatively simple to do and that the ends looked hand done therefore implying the whole thing was hand done. Since Oskar's mom is always knitting it is not a plot stretch that a hand-knitted scarf was used to to suggest that she knitted it. I wonder how this wardrobe piece was aquired? Was it made for the production? That seems unlikely, but an experienced knitter could knock this out in a day or two. I wonder if that much attention to detail would be put into a relatively low budget film with a tight production schedule. In addition, just as a mention, Eli's pink and green sweater has a handmade look to it.

I think I may knit my own copy of the blue scarf. I guess I need to learn how to knit! I could do simple knitting stuff as a kid. Now? I don't know if I have the patience. I might make this my 2012 project, my Christmas present to myself. The stripey polo, the brown sweater and a blue scarf, that would've been my choice for an LTROI display.
Du luktar konstigt

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:15 am

A question arises - after you've got it, what purpose is there in having/keeping it?
What point is there in owning something so utilitarian, such as a woolen jumper, when the purpose for which it was made no longer exists?
What purpose is a book once you've read it? I guess you could read it again, but it would still be the same.
When Oskar takes his jumper off, it just becomes any old jumper, and nothing really special.

Marlow

Post by Marlow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Well, Utilitarianism is an arguable position, but so is Hedonism. The value of a memento is in the remembrance of an experience. We've enjoyed LTROI and an object associated with the experience is a source of pleasurable recollection.

As for books, libraries are kept for reference as our memory is limited. LTROI the book is cited regularly in posts here on WTI. When I taught, it was utilitarian on my part to check sources. Why should we keep books? To have at our fingertips the thoughts and arguments of the best minds for our edification and, hedonistically, our enjoyment. The difference between Wikipedia and a book? We have a personal location to recollect. Where did I read such-and-such? Oh, yes, in chapter one or near the back of the book, etc.

But, I am in practical agreement with you, Ash. I felt that $600 for a memento was too much, given that I could pop in a $12 CD of the movie. I would rather have the $600 to put towards a guitar, motorcycle or car which, while utilitarian, are really my hedonistic indulgences. But, I still might knit that scarf!
Du luktar konstigt

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:08 am

I turned around a looked at the hundreds of DVDs I have stacked up behind me, so someone could equally ask why do I need them after I've watched them :lol: :oops:

djrees56

Post by djrees56 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 am

Ash wrote:A question arises - after you've got it, what purpose is there in having/keeping it?
What point is there in owning something so utilitarian, such as a woolen jumper, when the purpose for which it was made no longer exists?
What purpose is a book once you've read it? I guess you could read it again, but it would still be the same.
When Oskar takes his jumper off, it just becomes any old jumper, and nothing really special.
Good questions.When I was a kid the idea of owning something that was on the silver screen was exciting to me and the more I learned about these items the more I realized how out of reach they were.
I guess I like to collect film props because they were actually there in the story...fuzzies and all :D

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:55 pm

djrees56 wrote:
Good questions.When I was a kid the idea of owning something that was on the silver screen was exciting to me and the more I learned about these items the more I realized how out of reach they were.
I guess I like to collect film props because they were actually there in the story...fuzzies and all :D
Your collection is nothing to be ashamed of...You possess at least 3 items that I consider a holy grail of film prop collecting!
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

djrees56

Post by djrees56 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:33 am

Nightrider wrote:
djrees56 wrote:
Your collection is nothing to be ashamed of...You possess at least 3 items that I consider a holy grail of film prop collecting!
Thanks Nighrider :D Movie props taste better when you share them :D :lol:

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 pm

I think I would like the orange Jacket that Oskar puts on and sniffs, his father's jacket. Of course I would have liked Eli's rabbit, but I dare say it would have gotten ruined in the ensuing struggle with other board members, and that is the last thing anyone would want. :lol:

I think the part where Oskar visits his father is a wonderful part of the film. It is where we learn exactly how much Oskar loves his father. The reconnecting with his father's smell is crucial in Oskar's feeling like he actually belongs there, with his father. The book goes to great lengths to establish this emotion, this need in Oskar, and Tomas doesn't drop the ball at all, or resort to syrupy dialogue. It is a definite "aww" moment every time I watch the film. Everybody needs to feel like they belong somewhere, and in Oskar's case it is a bittersweet moment as we all know that he ultimately chooses a different place to belong, Eli's heart.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Aww . . .

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm

djrees56 wrote:
Nightrider wrote:
djrees56 wrote:
Thanks Nighrider :D Movie props taste better when you share them :D :lol:
Oh, awesome djrees56! I can read what you're saying. No problem. Let me help get things going.

Registration Form, Eli's Tuque Sharing Schedule
1. gkmoberg1

:D

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”