After the kiss...

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
foxfire

Re: After the kiss...

Post by foxfire » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Klesk wrote:I think the scene, where Oscars mother is upset after Oscar's second night at Eli’s home is a goof, because this scene makes no sense at this position. The scene would work better after Oscar leaves the house of his father to spend his first night at Eli’s home. Instead we have the "toothbrush" scene. There seems to be no appropriate response of Yvonne to his first night at Eli's home and his hitchhiking travel back to Eli without his father's permission in the middle of the night.
I get the impression that some scenes were shuffled around in post-production. That would explain Oskar's mother's anger seeming out of place, and also the lack of continuity in Eli's clothing.

Klesk

Post by Klesk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Yes there are some "mistakes" at the end of the movie e.g.: When Oscar wakes up at Eli's home, he wears the same clothes as in his first night at Eli's home.
Or: How gets Lake access to Eli's home. Suddenly, he's just in the apartment. If you read the novel, you will know the answers.
A creature of the night, that carries the light in itself.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Sorry, but I think Eli's clothing tells us a very touching story about how Eli views her humanity.
When Oskar returns from his father, Eli thinks she has lost Oskar, and is back to square one clothesvise, and with Virginia's blood still under her nails. Oskar retutns, snd voila - Eli dress (sort of ) up again, clean.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

foxfire

Post by foxfire » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 pm

drakkar wrote:Sorry, but I think Eli's clothing tells us a very touching story about how Eli views her humanity.
When Oskar returns from his father, Eli thinks she has lost Oskar, and is back to square one clothesvise, and with Virginia's blood still under her nails. Oskar retutns, snd voila - Eli dress (sort of ) up again, clean.
I was referring to the fact that Eli seems to wear Oskar's mother's garment before she receives it:
IMDB wrote:Continuity: In the scene where Oskar finds and inspects the solved Rubik's cube, the camera cuts to a sleeping Eli who is clearly dressed in clothes she won't get until much later in the movie, when she picks it from Oskar's mother's closet.

Klesk

Post by Klesk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 pm

drakkar wrote:Sorry, but I think Eli's clothing tells us a very touching story about how Eli views her humanity.
I think that Eli plans to leave Blackeberg after Oscar's reaction in the basement scene. Besides she killed enough people in Blackeberg. Therefore she must look clean.
A creature of the night, that carries the light in itself.

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Well, the "blowup" occurred in both the book and the movie, but the timing and the reasoning was different. In the case of the movie, Oskar's mom would have waked up to find Oskar gone. And he was gone for quite a while. When he finally came home, she would obviously be upset. :evil:
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:04 am

@foxfire: Then we of course agree.
In general, I think the film has few bloopers. The list is rather short compared to most other films I've checked.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

I had not thought of that, why Eli would be sitting around in her underwear when Oskar knocks on the door. Then she changes into Hakan's red shirt. In the book Oskar actually complains about Eli's Iron Maiden t-shirt in the same scene.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I find it very touching when Eli is waiting for Oskar outside the pool, just before the blood mixing.
Eli has agreed to go steady with Oskar, and she really TRIES to appear normal, wearing cap, gloves and coat. Yet she's so cut off and alone.
And then comes the blood mixing, and everything seems to be ruined. Eli is back to square one when Oskar, very unexpectedly to Eli, returns.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:20 pm

drakkar wrote:I find it very touching when Eli is waiting for Oskar outside the pool, just before the blood mixing.
Eli has agreed to go steady with Oskar, and she really TRIES to appear normal, wearing cap, gloves and coat. Yet she's so cut off and alone.
QFT. I wish I knew whether whether Eli dressing in warm clothing in an attempt to blend in was in original screenplay, or whether Tomas added it. Either way, it was a brilliant addition - a tiny detail that added volumes to the story's emotional content. Also, Lina looked really cute in that hat - even with the oblong pupils. 8-)

In fact I wonder if maybe the hat was added for that reason - to have a very cute face as a backdrop for those disturbing eyes. :?:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”