After the kiss...

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
wolfshadow

Re: After the kiss...

Post by wolfshadow » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 am

The note as I remember reading it had no comma. What I saw was "Your Eli". I'm not sure how to describe the difference in meaning, since it's more connotational than denotational, but there is a difference; "Yours, Eli" seems a bit more formal, a matter of convention or practise, whereas "Your Eli" suggests commitment.[/quote]

Given the context, the lack of a comma would make more sense. I found the English translation for "Din" and it could be either your or yours (or thy if you are REALLY old :D ). I didn't see a comma on either the cardboard note or on the wall, but I know not all languages use the same punctuations. Given how bad the nontheatrical subtitles were everywhere else, it was hard for me to think they would be right in this.
Light and dark complete the circle.
Find the Yang to fit the Yin.
Barren desert, lush green myrtle.
Find the wind to lift your wing.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:46 am

"Din Eli" is informal, direct and somthing you could expect on a note from an intimate friend and child. In Swedish, I believe, a comma between "Din" and "Eli" wouldn't make sense in a signature.
A more formal signature (Yours, Eli) would have been written totally different. I'm no expert in Swedish formalities, but I believe "Yours truly, Eli" would have been become something like "Högaktningsfullt, Eli". Which would have been completely ridiculous.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

wolfshadow

Post by wolfshadow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:54 am

drakkar wrote:"Din Eli" is informal, direct and somthing you could expect on a note from an intimate friend and child. In Swedish, I believe, a comma between "Din" and "Eli" wouldn't make sense in a signature.
A more formal signature (Yours, Eli) would have been written totally different. I'm no expert in Swedish formalities, but I believe "Yours truly, Eli" would have been become something like "Högaktningsfullt, Eli". Which would have been completely ridiculous.

Everything I know of Swedish, I have learned in this discussion =). I really should expand my horizons.

That makes the most sense given the the point in the story. The full formal closing wouldn't have made much sense, plus I doubt it would have fit on the little matchbook.
Light and dark complete the circle.
Find the Yang to fit the Yin.
Barren desert, lush green myrtle.
Find the wind to lift your wing.

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 pm

drakkar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 am

Now you made me reviving thoughts I had the first times I watched the dvd.
It was sort of OK whe nasty brainless morons died - the only thing I knew about them was that God had sent Steven Seagal or Sylvester Stallone to kill them.

- But poor, incompetent Lacke! He did his best, which wasn't much. He was relentlessly brought down by Eli, and I sided with her! When Eli goes away I'm sad, and when she comes back, ripping three kids to shreds all is well and I'm happy again!
In the end they're riding into the sunset on the train, with Eli continuining to kill ca innocent 50 persons a year! Then we discuss a bit whether it would be a good idea or not if Oskar started to do the same!

I still don't quite get it. I've learned a lot about myself through this story.

Covenant captures this beautifully in his drawing "after the song" http://www.sleepingdragon.me/AfterTheSong.jpg outside a cabin, after Eli has fed. Wonder how it looks like inside that cabin...
That link doesn't work. Can the pic be found elsewhere?

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:39 am

Jessy7217 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 pm
drakkar wrote:

[...]

Covenant captures this beautifully in his drawing "after the song" http://www.sleepingdragon.me/AfterTheSong.jpg outside a cabin, after Eli has fed. Wonder how it looks like inside that cabin...
You might try asking covenant himself through a PM.

However, I googled his username for this forum, and found this deviantart account: https://www.deviantart.com/covenant6452

Here's the picture:

By the way, the picture illustrated covenant's fan fiction A song at night, which you might want to read.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:27 pm

metoo wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:39 am
Jessy7217 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:29 pm
drakkar wrote:

[...]

You might try asking covenant himself through a PM.

However, I googled his username for this forum, and found this deviantart account: https://www.deviantart.com/covenant6452

Here's the picture:

By the way, the picture illustrated covenant's fan fiction A song at night, which you might want to read.
That is quite different. A very good drawing. I'll definitely check it out. Thank you.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”