6-Hour LTROI Class/Workshop

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Ingenting-ing

6-Hour LTROI Class/Workshop

Post by Ingenting-ing » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:10 am

Haven't posted in quite a while, but wanted to spread the word about this upcoming event: On Saturday, February 24, Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) will sponsor a 6-hour deep dive into LTROI. To quote SIFF's web page, "... attendees will participate with a facilitator in a six-hour scene-by-scene, and sometimes shot-by-shot, deconstruction of the featured film." For those familiar with Seattle, SIFF Film Center is located in Seattle Center. Unfortunately for those located outside the northwestern United States, looks like there is no virtual option for participation. Check the link below for more info.

https://www.siff.net/programs-and-event ... ght-one-in

If other infected are planning to be there and would like to meet before, during, or after; reply here or send me a DM. Whether I hear from anyone or not, I'll bet several infected, maybe ones we don't know about, will be present at this event.
Är du här igen?

gkmoberg1

Re: 6-Hour LTROI Class/Workshop

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:52 am

This could be fantastic. Any info on whether they will record this? Some of us are (shamefully) not local to the Seattle area but would LOVE to be able to watch along - whether live or recorded.

First off, it's remarkable that SIFF would pick this film. There alone is surely a backstory worth digging into. Why LTROI? Why this year?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:01 am

ABOUT CINEMA DISSECTION

Cinema Dissection affords film lovers an exciting opportunity to dig deeper into the films that they love. Inspired by Roger Ebert's annual Cinema Interruptus in Boulder, CO, attendees will participate with a facilitator in a six-hour scene-by-scene, and sometimes shot-by-shot, deconstruction of the featured film. While the facilitator will certainly share their thoughts, anyone in the audience may call out "Stop" and either ask a question of the group or make an observation around a certain shot or moment in the film.
(Emphasis added by me)

Makes me want to break out the film and do this right now - build up points to be made and questions to pose. Our site is already full of fantastic material towards all of this.

Ingenting-ing

Post by Ingenting-ing » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:49 pm

It'll be somewhat...*novel*, to have someone who is not an infected look at our favorite movie in obsessive detail. Make some notes, pass them along, and I'll bring up your questions/comments at the event. We got six hours to fill, after all!
Är du här igen?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:09 pm

Me: Image

Or rather... let's list out some questions and points for @Ingenting-ing :wub: to take along on this 6-hour cinema interruptus.

intrige

Post by intrige » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:00 pm

Oh my god yes, I'm gonna make a list. The gif gk omg :lol:

I would have loved to attend that!!! Oh my god, but ya know, not exactly reachable.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Ingenting-ing

Post by Ingenting-ing » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:52 am

Yes, Yes! Tell me your stops and your questions and I'll do my best impersonation. ;)
Är du här igen?

InfectedFox

Post by InfectedFox » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:37 pm

Not the first time I wished I lived in the PNW region!! What an incredible event to attend. Like mentioned before, I wish there was a virtual option to stream it.

This movie means so much to me it would be nice to be part of something so in depth.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:04 am

In looking about for where others here have gone over the film or have found articles that go over the film from either a screenwriter's or filmmaker's point of view - something that gets into analyzing the film in terms of the craft and its elements.

The first of these that I've spotted is a thread from Nov 2009: A Short But Interesting Blog on the Cinematography of LTROI. ACL provides a link to The Cinematography of "Let The Right One In," Part 1 , which is well worth the read. (Yet is unfortunately short on delving into aspects of filmmaking beyond choice of lens and how different lens shapes affect mood. Lots of good pictures, though.

Reading the transcript at http://let-the-right-one-in.com/woofy/1 ... edish-dvd/ gives a lot of good details.

For example, that one of the producers knew Christopher Tolkien and so went and got permission from him allowing the teacher to read aloud part of The Hobbit.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:45 am

Another film technique note is the use of a Dutch angle for the very short shot of Eli sitting alone in the apartment.
It is discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2509&p=39355&hilit= ... gle#p39354
and then at wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”