Frustrated by the way the person who made this video sees Eli, and the things he does, related to feeding, etc.

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Siggdalos

Re: Frustrated by the way the person who made this video sees Eli, and the things he does, related to feeding, etc.

Post by Siggdalos » Sun May 14, 2023 7:22 pm

Jessy7217 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:57 pm
I haven't got that far, in the book. But, I've read that Eli is absolutely a boy. That cannot be refuted.
In the novel, Eli and the omniscient narrator never describe the character as anything other than han ("he"). In other words, Eli is certainly a "he" in the way JAL wrote the book.
I'm not so sure the same can be said about him being a "boy".
Jessy7217 wrote:
And, Oskar loves Eli. So, he would not be interested in girls, imo.
Mm, well, I disagree. But I'll leave that discussion be until you've finished the book.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jessy7217

Re: Frustrated by the way the person who made this video sees Eli, and the things he does, related to feeding, etc.

Post by Jessy7217 » Sun May 21, 2023 12:54 pm

sauvin wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 12:25 am
Jessy7217 wrote:
sauvin wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:48 pm

"Oskar, I'm no girl", she tells him. She implies it once behind the kiosk, and flatly states it in his room.

... but what is she really saying? In the novel, while the two are sharing a blanket, she says something like "I'm not a girl, and not a boy. Not young, not old. I'm nothing".
I haven't got that far, in the book. But, I've read that Eli is absolutely a boy. That cannot be refuted. Also, Eli turned Oskar. And, Oskar loves Eli. So, he would not be interested in girls, imo.
And when she says she's not a girl, not a boy, not young, not old - that she's nothing - what is she really saying?
I'm talking about what I've read online. And going by the movie. I haven't gotten far in the book. But, it's still a fact that Eli is a castrated male.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon May 22, 2023 7:35 pm

Jessy7217 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:54 pm
I'm talking about what I've read online. And going by the movie. I haven't gotten far in the book. But, it's still a fact that Eli is a castrated male.
In the novel, this is a fact. In the movie, it is not. The novel and the movie are closely related, but still separate works of fiction. For many of us, Eli is a girl; this, too, is a fact.

While we do value fact-based reasoning, the term "fact" apparently needs some review.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 am

sauvin wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:35 pm
Jessy7217 wrote:
In the novel, this is a fact. In the movie, it is not. The novel and the movie are closely related, but still separate works of fiction. For many of us, Eli is a girl; this, too, is a fact.

While we do value fact-based reasoning, the term "fact" apparently needs some review.
Having seen the film first, Eli is a girl to me too, no matter how many times I read the book. The film came later in time, after the book was published and cast in concrete. But remember; JAL was personally involved in picking the lead characters for the film. He could have easily picked a more androgenous child to play Eli; instead, he picked Lina, the very personification of a 12-year=old girl. This has been discussed on the forum in many different threads, but the bottom line is, he picked a genuine, state-of-the-art girl to play the part of Elias.
I take Eli at her word: "I'm nothing. Not a child. Not old. Not a boy. Not a girl. Nothing," which pretty much leaves it to us to decide for ourselves. Since S(he) was castrated before S(he) was physically either a clearly defined boy OR girl, I (and Oskar) feel fully justified in thinking of Eli as a girl, damn the 'facts' of the case. ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:54 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:04 am
sauvin wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:35 pm
Jessy7217 wrote:

Having seen the film first, Eli is a girl to me too, no matter how many times I read the book. The film came later in time, after the book was published and cast in concrete. But remember; JAL was personally involved in picking the lead characters for the film. He could have easily picked a more androgenous child to play Eli; instead, he picked Lina, the very personification of a 12-year=old girl. This has been discussed on the forum in many different threads, but the bottom line is, he picked a genuine, state-of-the-art girl to play the part of Elias.
I take Eli at her word: "I'm nothing. Not a child. Not old. Not a boy. Not a girl. Nothing," which pretty much leaves it to us to decide for ourselves. Since S(he) was castrated before S(he) was physically either a clearly defined boy OR girl, I (and Oskar) feel fully justified in thinking of Eli as a girl, damn the 'facts' of the case. ;)
That's not what Eli says in the movie, though. And, at the age he was at the time of the castration, he was absolutely a clearly defined boy, imo.

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:16 am

This was a fascinating video to watch. Extremely unique perspective on the dynamics involved. While I think that "sexuality" may be placing their particular feelings/emotions into a bit of a box, I think it is a good term for a lack of a more accurate one. Overall, it was deeply thought-provoking.
Carpe Noctem

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”