Which other mediums would you like to see the story transferred to?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
danielmann861

Which other mediums would you like to see the story transferred to?

Post by danielmann861 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:41 pm

I've been reading Junji Ito's manga adaptation of Osamu Daizai's No Longer Human and a thought occurred. We've had a two film adaptations of LTROI, we've had numerous stage play's and we've also had a TV series. Which other mediums would you like to see the story transferred to?

I'd love to see a manga version of the original book.I actually think LTROI could work phenomenally in manga form.

What about you lot? What other mediums would you like to see the story transferred to?

Siggdalos

Re: Which other mediums would you like to see the story transferred to?

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 pm

I don't read a lot of comics and have no interest in manga, but a graphic novel adaptation could be something really special if done by the right artist.

At points in the past I've thought about what it would've been like to see a LTROI miniseries that included all of the subplots and details from the book that were left out of all the on-screen adaptations (like Tommy). The film was originally planned to be split into two parts, after all. However, these days I'm more inclined to think that TA's film is the closest you can get to a perfect live-action adaptation (even though I have my share of issues with it and don't think it's a perfect movie by any means) and that all those additional subplots wouldn't be compelling enough in TV form to justify making a more stretched-out version of the story. Unless, of course, you do like Showtime and make up a mostly new story using only some of the basic ingredients from the novel.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:04 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 pm
[...] but a graphic novel adaptation could be something really special if done by the right artist.
I know only one that I think would do LtROI good service: Rolf Gohs.

Unfortunately he died in 2020...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:07 pm

Yeah I think a graphic novel or manga is the best bet for a faithful adaptation.
No banaaaanas?

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:30 pm

I know it's impossible, but I'd like to see the original in 3D. :D
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

andmker

Post by andmker » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:31 pm

A musical 😁

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:52 pm

andmker wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:31 pm
A musical 😁
Now that's intriguing :D Could you imagine Hakan breaking out into a soulful song of lament as he strings up his victim and cuts their throat? Because I sure can :lol:

Or Eli getting her big solo song about the pain she is in living with this infection.

Or Oskar singing some merry as he recounts his moment of triumph against the bullies to Eli :lol:

manananmaclir

Post by manananmaclir » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:26 pm

A manga could be quite good. I would love to see this as a game, perhaps something like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Being able to walk through the areas where the book happened would be amazing (especially as 1980s Sweden is not 2020s Sweden). It would take a special studio to pull it off, though.

andmker

Post by andmker » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:09 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:52 pm
andmker wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:31 pm
A musical 😁
Now that's intriguing :D Could you imagine Hakan breaking out into a soulful song of lament as he strings up his victim and cuts their throat? Because I sure can :lol:

Or Eli getting her big solo song about the pain she is in living with this infection.

Or Oskar singing some merry as he recounts his moment of triumph against the bullies to Eli :lol:
I think it really possible haha. Oskars mom singing about weather or not Oskar is wearing his hat (on his head)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer did a musical episode lol. There is also a musical horror movie called "Repo The Genetic Opera" which is ... interesting 🤣

andmker

Post by andmker » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:11 pm

manananmaclir wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:26 pm
A manga could be quite good. I would love to see this as a game, perhaps something like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Being able to walk through the areas where the book happened would be amazing (especially as 1980s Sweden is not 2020s Sweden). It would take a special studio to pull it off, though.
I'm not generally in to manga, but I'd give it a go lol. It has the advantage of being able to animate anything from any location or time period

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”