Some new(?) images from the film

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
CyberGhostface

Some new(?) images from the film

Post by CyberGhostface » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:20 pm

I found this site. While most of the images seem to be the same promotional stills we've all seen a handful are new to me.

https://www.csfd.cz/film/243243-at-vejd ... y/galerie/

Some examples:

There are more at the link above.
No banaaaanas?

intrige

Re: Some new(?) images from the film

Post by intrige » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:59 pm

New indeed! Sucg a rare sight! :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:23 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:20 pm
I found this site. While most of the images seem to be the same promotional stills we've all seen a handful are new to me.

https://www.csfd.cz/film/243243-at-vejd ... y/galerie/

Some examples:

There are more at the link above.
I've always wondered about this one shot in particular. There are other variants of it out there. If you look at all these shots, they're all taken from various scene setups in the film. Which makes me wonder about this shot in particular. Is this from a Deleted Scene we've never seen? Makes me wonder how many deleted scenes there were from this film that never made their way out there.

Still holding out hope for that potential Boutique re-release. Some day....maybe...if anyone ever wants to put one out. I need more of this film!

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:41 pm

Whenever Criterion puts out their announcements I’m always hoping for LTROI…
No banaaaanas?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:58 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:20 pm
They're at least new to me as well. Thanks for sharing.
danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:23 pm
I've always wondered about this one shot in particular. There are other variants of it out there. If you look at all these shots, they're all taken from various scene setups in the film. Which makes me wonder about this shot in particular. Is this from a Deleted Scene we've never seen? Makes me wonder how many deleted scenes there were from this film that never made their way out there.
The many variants of it on the site definitely makes me think it's from a deleted scene. Based on the silly faces Kåre makes in several of the shots, I'm thinking it was probably a scene where he'd be crying.
The novel scene that comes to mind is when Oskar tells his mother that he thinks he's been infected, but I don't see how they could've fit that in the film.
What's maybe more likely is that it would've been set after Eli moves but before the pool massacre, when Oskar is crying over Eli's departure without being able to tell his mother why. That's my best guess, anyway.

Unrelated: a detail I only just realized.

The colors and pattern on Eli's shirt here are very similar to the transgender pride flag (which was created in 1999). Intentional symbolism? :think:
Might admittedly be a result of the lighting. I don't actually remember what the shirt looks like in the finished film.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:03 am

A member here, I don't remember which, bought some of Eli's clothes from the film and showed them to us.
It's pretty evident that Eli, for obvious reasons, didn't care about what he looked like, or personal hygiene for that matter, until he met Oskar, so the film-clothes are pretty much in keeping with that idea. Some clothing masculine and some feminine but all dilapidated.
Apart from Eli asking Oskar, luktar jag bättre idag?, he did seem particularly happy, and expecting of Oskar's approval, when he put on Oskar's mums dress in the "twirl scene". Albeit we are, and always are, working from the mind-set of a 12 year old and also one who lives and survives upon non-binary identification.
I would suggest the confusion and doubt about eunuch Eli's sexual identification and the film/novel's open-ended conclusion might be the thing that many of us are attracted to, but also the reason why others don't like the novel/film. An audience being left unsatisfied with everything not tied up in a neat little pink bow is not how movies are supposed to end. While the doubt and moral/ethical/gender confusion for me is the very thing that I find most attractive.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:17 am

Ash wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:03 am
A member here, I don't remember which, bought some of Eli's clothes from the film and showed them to us.
After a quick search, it looks like this thread by djrees56 is what you're referring to.
Ash wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:03 am
It's pretty evident that Eli, for obvious reasons, didn't care about what he looked like, or personal hygiene for that matter, until he met Oskar, so the film-clothes are pretty much in keeping with that idea. Some clothing masculine and some feminine but all dilapidated.
Apart from Eli asking Oskar, luktar jag bättre idag?, he did seem particularly happy, and expecting of Oskar's approval, when he put on Oskar's mums dress in the "twirl scene". Albeit we are, and always are, working from the mind-set of a 12 year old and also one who lives and survives upon non-binary identification.
I would suggest the confusion and doubt about eunuch Eli's sexual identification and the film/novel's open-ended conclusion might be the thing that many of us are attracted to, but also the reason why others don't like the novel/film. An audience being left unsatisfied with everything not tied up in a neat little pink bow is not how movies are supposed to end. While the doubt and moral/ethical/gender confusion for me is the very thing that I find most attractive.
I agree with all of that, but it's not really what I'm asking. I'm not wondering whether the shirt looks masculine or feminine, but rather about the coloration of it. The trans pride flag, for reference:

I don't personally view Eli as transgender (though that's a whole other discussion), and in any case, wearing a shirt with colors resembling the trans flag isn't something he would've been consciously thinking about in-universe--mostly because, as mentioned, the flag wasn't created until almost two decades after the events of the film. My thinking is instead that the costume designer Maria Strid possibly chose to include the shirt as a subtle message to the audience about Eli's gender--or at least how she personally viewed that aspect of the character.

EDIT: Finally got around to double-checking the film. Eli wears the shirt in question in four (or five or six, depending on how you count) scenes, making it the one piece of clothing he's shown wearing the most: "Hit back" and the first Morse conversation, the hug behind the kiosk ("If I wasn't a girl..."), at the hospital, and the bed scene ("I'm not a girl"). Two of these scenes touch on the character's gender identity, so... I dunno. The resemblance to the flag could simply be a big coincidence, of course, but I'm inclined to think it isn't, based on the fine attention to detail in every other aspect of the film.

Also, I apologize if I'm pointing out obvious things that have already been discussed to death in the past, but as far as I could find, this specific detail hasn't been pointed out before.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

andmker

Post by andmker » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 pm

Loved the "new" photos :D I haven't seen many of them before. Thanks

Jessy7217

Post by Jessy7217 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:51 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:58 pm

Unrelated: a detail I only just realized.

The colors and pattern on Eli's shirt here are very similar to the transgender pride flag (which was created in 1999). Intentional symbolism? :think:
Might admittedly be a result of the lighting. I don't actually remember what the shirt looks like in the finished film.
I've seen that mentioned. It was in a comment to a video, or in the video itself. I recently saw what they were talking about it, and it was that sweater. To me, it looks more green, like almost a mintish green, than blue. The pattern is also different.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:31 pm

The pattern is not an exact match, no. (I would guess that whoever created that shirt in the first place probably wasn't consciously thinking about the flag.) But I think it's undeniable that they have strong similarities, what with how both of them consist of stripes of light blue, light pink, and white. The fact that it looks greenish in the picture is due to the lighting, I think.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”