Paper Walls vs Let The Old Dreams Die - join subforums?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Pappersväggar
StefL

Paper Walls vs Let The Old Dreams Die - join subforums?

Post by StefL » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:48 pm

OK, I'd just like to address a potential reason for confusion regarding JAL's short story collection(s). A summary:
In Swedish, JAL has published two short story collections, Pappersväggar (Paper Walls) and Låt De Gamla Drömmarna Dö (Let The Old Dreams Die).
In English, all of the stories in Paper Walls, plus the title story from Let The Old Dreams Die have been published in one volume called Let The Old Dreams Die.
In view of how the subforums are organised here, this does make for some confusion - just sort of wanted to mention that.

Does our canine web host have any suggestions or ideas of how do deal with this? It would of course be possible to just merge the two categories, but that may still cause confusion. Or simply assume that most readers of this forum will be reading the English versions anyway and just let the Paper Walls category fade away while all discussions take place in the LTODD catogory. As a Swede this option obviously does pain me a bit but I guess that's the way things might be going,and I'm happy just to know that now there will be discussions about stories I really like.

Wolfchild

Re: Paper Walls vs Let The Old Dreams Die - join subforums?

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Well, I had thought to combine them. Since Pappersväggar came out first, I thought to just combine it all together under Paper Walls. However, then all of the Anglophone fans who came here wanting to talk about LTODD would have no idea that a section called Paper Walls would be right place to do it. However, a section called Let The Old Dreams Die could lead you Svenskaphone fans to want to discuss some of the other stories from Låt de gamla drömmarna dö.

What's a woof to do? :think:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Nightrider

Re: Paper Walls vs Let The Old Dreams Die - join subforums?

Post by Nightrider » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 am

Being a completist I think "Paper Walls" and "LTODD" sections should be left unchanged. They are real titles that were released separately as legitimate entities....
Plus, cursory check of contents page in the Swedish version of Låt De Gamla Drömmarna Dö (Let The Old Dreams Die) shows that English version of LTODD omits almost all of the things found in the Swedish release and becomes sort of mutated variant of "Paper Walls" thus making it technically an animal of a different breed.
That is why in the spirit of equal time, I believe that the book section needs to be expanded to include the English translation of "Let The Old Dreams Die" as a separate category and not be reduced or combined.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Return to “Paper Walls”