Itsy Bitsy

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Pappersväggar
Doosty

Itsy Bitsy

Post by Doosty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 am

Was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? I was perusing through Goodreads.com and found it. I haven't seen anyone talk about this during my lurking sessions here, however I haven't been able to get on here as much in the last few months.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12204833-itsy-bitsy

a_contemplative_life

Re: Itsy Bitsy

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:01 am

Don't know a thing about it, but naturally I'm intrigued. Itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini? :lol:

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

If it is the short story which I think it is, it is part of the Pappersväggar collection (and at the same time quasi-part of the Människohamn canon).
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 am

http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage. ... 58#Excerpt

It's a short story called "Syns inte! Finns inte!", from page 135 of John Ajvide Lindqvist's third book "Pappersväggar".

So Tape is right. :)

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:27 am

Tom wrote:"Syns inte! Finns inte!"
...which roughly translates to "If you don't see it, it doesn't exist" - much more intruguing than "Itsy-Bitsy" imho, but well...
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

ofelia

Post by ofelia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:
Tom wrote:"Syns inte! Finns inte!"
...which roughly translates to "If you don't see it, it doesn't exist" - much more intruguing than "Itsy-Bitsy" imho, but well...
Definitely. But some things just don't translate. The Swedish title sounds so panicky :o like a kid hiding behind his hands...

JakobM

Post by JakobM » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 pm

I just realized where it came from. It's an Astrid Lindgren quote. In Ronja Rövardotter (Ronja Robbersdaughter) there's a scene where Ronja and Birk are hiding from a flock of "vildvittror" (I have no idea what they're called in English, they look like a cross between a woman and a bird of prey - and they're nasty). Anyway, when Ronja and Birk vanish from their view that's exactly what the "vildvittror" scream: Syns inte! Finns inte!

I actually found a clip of it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66l9LRUFXAg

Special effects have come a fair way since then. :)

/J

ofelia

Post by ofelia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 am

Oh wow! I have the book in English, I want so bad to find it in Swedish (Ronja Rövardotter). I couldn't stand to watch the film. If I had been a child at the time then probably I wouldn't mind it, but it was just so awful.. I've seen other clips too, not just that.
'Vildvittror' is harpies. Although that comes from Greek mythology, I think. But maybe it's the same thing, the Scandinavian version.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:13 am

ofelia wrote:'Vildvittror' is harpies. Although that comes from Greek mythology, I think. But maybe it's the same thing, the Scandinavian version.
I believe the appearance of vildvittror wasn't described in the book. So I guess the film designers are responsible for the harpy look. Harpies are not part of Scandinavian mythology, as far as know. The creatures in Ronja Rövardotter are Astrid Lindgren's inventions.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

JakobM

Post by JakobM » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:11 am

ofelia wrote:I couldn't stand to watch the film. If I had been a child at the time then probably I wouldn't mind it, but it was just so awful..
Actually, apart from the cheesy special effects (which is a very small part of the movie) it's pretty good. There are some great actors in there like Allan Edwall, Per Oscarsson and Lena Nyman. Incidentally, Ronja Rövardotter was directed by Tage Danielsson who was Hans Alfredson's friend and life-long collaborator. See, there's always some connection to LTROI (however tenuous). :lol:

/J

Return to “Paper Walls”