Pappersväggar Short Film

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Pappersväggar
Wolfchild

Pappersväggar Short Film

Post by Wolfchild » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:17 pm

In 2008, Tomas Stark of GOMFILM co-wrote and directed a short film adaptation of JAL's short story Pappersväggar. He was kind enough to allow to post it on my web page, and also to provide with a file of English subtitles for it. It can be viewed with English subtitles here. I haven't read Pappersväggar, since it has never been published in English (but JAL promised that it may be in the "not-too-distant future"), so I can't vouch for how faithful an adaptation it is, but it is a nice short film. Many thanks to abner_mohl for digging this up.

It's big, so it may take a while to load for you. Your patience will be rewarded.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

drakkar

Re: Pappersväggar Short Film

Post by drakkar » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:28 am

I'm not able to play the film, could it be something wrong with the link?
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

nithr

Post by nithr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:57 am

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:24 pm

drakkar wrote:I'm not able to play the film, could it be something wrong with the link?
Depending upon your bandwidth, it may take a while for it to start to start playing. I'm not set up for video streaming, so it won't start playing until it is all downloaded.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Ok now, probably was some set up issue on my work pc.

:)
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 pm

drakkar wrote:Ok now, probably was some set up issue on my work pc.

:)
Drakkar, you have read Pappersväggar, right? Can you comment on what you think of this film adaptation?
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

withinfocus

Post by withinfocus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:02 pm

... and before I search I'm guessing there's no English version of the story? After watching this I'm a little confused!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 am

OK,
the background of the story, only hinted in book and film, is the nine years old boy, John, visiting his father at the countryside (heard that one before?).

The story is a snapshot, only a few pages long, it doesnt take more time reading it than watching the film.
The film is good, and pretty accurate. Until it approaches the end, where it unfortunately fails IMO.

In the book, John wakes up in the box at night, hearing movements in the distance. Pitch dark - he doesnt switch the flashlight on. He can hear something large approaching, about the size of a horse. He can hear its breath and its steps coming closer, and he can hear it is walking on two legs. The being stops outside the box, John feeling its presence. Then he (as in the film) reach out his hand, putting it on the cardboard wall (like Oskar's hand on the window). The being outside the box then strokes its hand(?) gentle over the cardboard, stopping right opposite John's. As in the film, you get the impression that the entity knows John is in there. Then it slowly leaves, and he can hear the steps as it walks away. The story ends at this point, with the words "Det hadde lämnat honom." (It had left him).

When I read the story first time, I got the association of a gentle giant or a troll paying him a visit (maybe because there is another short story about trolls in Paper Walls). Unforunately, the film fails in recreating the atmosphere from the book. Suddenly the being is there, and just as suddenly it is gone. The film uses a human hand on the outside to indicate this is some kind of a giant, but sorry, it doesn't come across to me. The end is not JAL either.

@ withinfocus: Correct, but the English translation is promised to be published "soon".
- Karl Ove Knausgård

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:28 am

What I got from the film was that the boys mother had died, (somehow drowning got into my mind) he missed her, but then the castle in the sky through me for a loop.
But I think he was grieving for his lost mother and it was her who approached and put her hand to his, letting him know everything was alright.
Then, he sends the box to her via sea-mail.
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

withinfocus

Post by withinfocus » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah, I'll have to read it. For anyone interested, there's a story I read a few years ago that I think was written very well by A.S. Byatt, "The Thing in the Forest". It has some similarities to this and I recommend checking it out. It's maybe 20 pages.

Return to “Paper Walls”