Heavenly Creatures and Little Star

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
Opeth

Heavenly Creatures and Little Star

Post by Opeth » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:54 am

Has anybody else seen Heavenly Creatures? There are a bunch of similarities between it & Little Star, for anyone that didn't know HC is about the 1954 Parker–Hulme murder case that happened in Christchurch, New Zealand - the film focuses on the girl's obsessive friendship. I don't like it much but it definitely is a well made movie, there are plenty of ties to Theres & Teresa and the themes the novel deals with; it's worth a watch for anyone who has read LS. I guess in a sense it is probably the closest thing we have to a LS film. I might have seen some of the film when I was younger but eh I'm not sure, it was on this weekend on the Maori channel so I recorded it and have watched about half.

sauvin

Re: Heavenly Creatures and Little Star

Post by sauvin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:33 am

You should watch all of it when you get a chance. Yes, it's a very well made movie. Can't speak for how many "similarities" there might be between it and Little Star, though.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:44 am

I just finished watching the rest of it now, I think I did see at least some of it when I was a kid - those last few scenes are really well shot, very calculated and cold. A bit hard to watch actually

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Haven't seen it, but I read that it was directed by Peter Jackson, who did all the LOTR flicks, so I'm sure it's well-shot.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:03 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:Haven't seen it, but I read that it was directed by Peter Jackson, who did all the LOTR flicks, so I'm sure it's well-shot.
I'd recommend it pretty highly, actually. If you run across it, snag it.

A great deal of the common ground the movie has with LS is in two teenaged girls who come to share an exclusive fantasy world and develop a such an intimate bond that they're willing to kill in order to stay together. It is a very well made movie.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Little Star”