The Wolves After Skansen

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
Opeth

The Wolves After Skansen

Post by Opeth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 pm

This has been on my mind for a few days, I've been pondering if the girls had actually planned out what they would do after their attack at Skansen or if they hadn't bothered to at all. I think it would have been most likely that they planned to get away, of course if we compare them to Eli & Oskar they would have had a much harder time. Djurgården is an island, right? I don't know how difficult it is to get on or off it, if there are multiple bridges or just one. Maybe they planned to meet up by the wolves or maybe Skansen was their last stand but that seems unlikely. I'm having a tough time deciding.. Where do you think they would have gone? Feel free to share your thoughts. :)

intrige

Re: The Wolves After Skansen

Post by intrige » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 pm

I have got a feeling that they would want to stay with the woves. Mayve even get killed by them? Even though that might not be intentional, it can happen. But that's just me ;)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 am

It's been a long time since I read the book. I will probably read it again one of these days. But I don't think they had anything planned after that. That was the moment for all the girls, what was going to set them free. I don't think the wolves care much about them. The wolves don't seem to notice them. Probably the wolves would hurt them if they try to bother them. And I like the ending, not knowing what happens next. The ending to me feels like a dream, Teresa and Theres just vanish.
I did try to write a story that would explore what happens to them, but I just couldn't continue the story. With LTROI once I was done reading the book, I just had to know what was going to happen with Oskar and Eli next. :evil:
With Little Star I was satisfied with the ending. :)

ofelia

Post by ofelia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:07 pm

It's easy enough to get on and off Djurgården, by bridge or ferry. But it's also hard to leave without being seen. Based on the letter Teresa writes I dont think they had a plan. They would accept whatever happened after the event. I think most people who commit mass murder like that don't care what happens next, they even expect to be arrested. Their point was to prove their power to the world. Theres probably doesn't think about the future much if ever, and they are all quite young so their ability to judge consequences isn't fully developed.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm with Intrige, I wonder whether the wolves will kill them before the police get at them.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm

drakkar wrote:I'm with Intrige, I wonder whether the wolves will kill them before the police get at them.
. . . but as if the wolves had sensed the atmosphere of the hunt that pervaded the area, several of them had emerged from their lairs and hiding places and were now warily circling the area near the breach, baring their teeth and growling.
No is does not look like the girls will get a friendly reception when they enter the wolf enclosure. Even if they did, going into an enclosed area like this does not look like an effective escape plan. Maybe Teresa and Theres are like the wolves in the sense that they have been captives for so long that they really don't know how to be free?

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Well I reread the end of Little Star last night & now I think that there never was a plan.

[quote]Teresa looked at them and shook her head.
'They didn't come to us.'
Theres stood with her neck extended, watching the shaggy figures that were watching her. Then it happened. At first Teresa couldn't work out what was tickling the back of her hand. When she looked down she saw that it was Theres' fingers, fumbling for hers. She grabbed Theres' hand and held it tightly. They stood for a long time, side by side in front of the door, squeezing each other's hands.
Then Theres said, 'In that case, we will go to them.'[/quote]

It seems certain that they would've stepped into the enclosure, I think that they wanted to be at home with the wolves.

gattoparde59 wrote: Maybe Teresa and Theres are like the wolves in the sense that they have been captives for so long that they really don't know how to be free?
Interesting point, I think they felt that way before completely embracing the group then by becoming the wolves they found a sense of freedom in a way, they figured out who they were at that point in time. They found freedom and reason through the burial of the girls.

Return to “Little Star”