I finally finish Little Star. (Spoiler)

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
Jeannedeorleans

I finally finish Little Star. (Spoiler)

Post by Jeannedeorleans » Thu May 03, 2012 2:54 am

Yes, I did it. I think it's so so. It didn't make such impact like LTROI. It's superb in parts, though, almost unbearable in parts too. I like childhood part. Theres is fascinating and a cutie pie in a way, Teresa is also interesting. I like when Theres appeared on Idol and Teresa's obsession and how they met.

However, when I was thrown into Teresa's hysterical angst, it's unbearable. Her mumbling about nothing became workload to read in time. I think the book would be better if this part was shorter.

Then came the pack. It's the best part of the book. If a story of how the girls became pack was a focus of Little Star I'd absolutely love this book.

Other thing that I found I disliked the most is its theme of nothingness. I love LTROI because it fulfilled me with love, the world was such a beautiful place in LTROI because even in the direst circumstance like Oskar's and Eli's, there's still love. However, Little Star gave me nothing, there was no joy in the world, just emptiness. They even killed for no reason, because they could and I disliked that.
Once Grandmother gave her a little hood made of red velvet. Because it suited her so well, and she wanted to wear it all the time, she came to be known as Little Red Riding Hood

Nightrider

Re: I finally finish Little Star. (Spoiler)

Post by Nightrider » Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 am

It's true. Little Star did not pack a punch of LTROI or my favorite Harbour, but I expected as much since lightning rarely strikes twice in the same spot. I did enjoy reading Little Star and at the time I thought it was the best stuff Mr. Lindquist had written.
Vitaly
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

DarkGuyver

Post by DarkGuyver » Thu May 03, 2012 7:52 am

I finshed Little Star, yesterday and I have to say it is a pretty interesting book. I found Theres character quite interesting to begin with, and became more interged with her character as I progressed with the story.

But, I think Little Star gives us a glimpse into JAL's mental development during his educational days.

danielma

Post by danielma » Sat May 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Jeannedeorleans wrote:Yes, I did it. I think it's so so. It didn't make such impact like LTROI. It's superb in parts, though, almost unbearable in parts too. I like childhood part. Theres is fascinating and a cutie pie in a way, Teresa is also interesting. I like when Theres appeared on Idol and Teresa's obsession and how they met.

However, when I was thrown into Teresa's hysterical angst, it's unbearable. Her mumbling about nothing became workload to read in time. I think the book would be better if this part was shorter.

Then came the pack. It's the best part of the book. If a story of how the girls became pack was a focus of Little Star I'd absolutely love this book.

Other thing that I found I disliked the most is its theme of nothingness. I love LTROI because it fulfilled me with love, the world was such a beautiful place in LTROI because even in the direst circumstance like Oskar's and Eli's, there's still love. However, Little Star gave me nothing, there was no joy in the world, just emptiness. They even killed for no reason, because they could and I disliked that.
It's weird because all your complaints are exactly what I liked about the book :)

I don't know if they killed for no reason. Theres did have her own logic to why it is she does what she does. Considering what Lennart had programmed into her about the Big Ones Eating the Little Ones...it always seemed to me that her mindset was programmed to be cautious of the Big Ones because of what Lennart had done to her. No matter how basic her motivation was, I still saw it as a motivation

I kind of liked the Nihilistic tone of the novel personally. If Oskar and Eli were good for one another then Teresa and Theres were the exact opposite...their relationship is a very destructive and perverse one. So in that sense, I thought it shared a spirtitual connection to LTROI in showing the exact opposite of what LTROI stood for.

I really enjoyed the Singer/Songwriter connection between T & T.

I really enjoyed this book, I enjoyed the Nihlism of it, I enjoyed the perverse destructive love story told between the two girls, I really enjoyed reading Teresa's story...and its one of the few horror stories of last year that really got under my skin personally speaking
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

grich2011

Post by grich2011 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:43 am

I would of liked a longer ending more from the girls view point. So I take it Theres was very autistic. I've only read LTROI and LS.

Alice?Maybe

Post by Alice?Maybe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:32 am

Just finished it, myself. I'd read in a review of LTROI that his was the superior book. I can't recall where or who, but he couldn't be more wrong. Little Star pales in comparison. I lost sight of the characters' motivations. I liked the story, I suppose. I identified with Teresa.
"I'm not a girl" (except when I am)

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:51 pm

I just finished this. I enjoyed it very much. It felt a little bit like a sequel to LTROI to me, being about this troubled unearthly duo of little damaged killing machines. And again, a lead monster with origins that are a little vague.

I was a little iffy on the who red smoke thing. This reminded me of my recent read of the stories in LTODD, where sometimes I was trying to parse out, "is this a traditional monster? what are the rules?"

I could see this being adapted to film. Very violent, but so was LTROI as a novel.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Yes I agree this should be made into film, along with handling the undead and harbor. They are all great stories, and original. If you can make a movie about a evil car that kills people, you can make one that involves real human monsters. Not to pick at King (I liked Carrie and Firestarter) But they made so many movies from his books that were a bit bad. JAL deserves to have his stories told as well.

Return to “Little Star”