Finally going to read Little Star!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
varamiglite

Re: Finally going to read Little Star!

Post by varamiglite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 pm

... And now I see the relevance of the power drill as your avatar, Snaps. Kinda scary :?
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Zeb

Post by Zeb » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:10 pm

and my copy turned up today! :D

Its a big one too-532 pages so should keep me going for a little while.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda

snaps

Post by snaps » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm

nice one Zeb!

I now find myself having to track down everything ever recorded by ''Bright Eyes''. I have to know what Teresa was listening to that influenced her. Conor Oberst is an artist that sort of passed way over my head, although I have some younger on-line friends who claim he is the living prophet.

It isn't in the musical style(s), a multi-eclectic artist who crosses over everything from C'n'W to electronica, and a rather simple if plaintive voice, but so was Dylan. But very high musical production values.

The key is in the lyrics. Scarey Mary! :? Every other song lyrics has something in it that you could see clicking with Teresa, and producing a maladaptive view of absolutely everything. She wouldn't have got a verbal reference to the death of someone like Hank Williams, but she would have recognised herself and her situation in much of the rest, esoteric though they often are.

The most, deliberately, stinging criticism of Oberst I have read dismisses him as ''the eternal adolescent'', but that is precisely the point (at least as far as Teresa may be concerned). An adolescent Peter Pan, but with an encyclopaedic knowledge of popular music, and like Morrissey a skilled wordsmith.

I would love to hear from JAL on the impact of listening to ''Bright Eyes''.

My personal theory is that he needed to find an artist he could listen to wall-to-wall, in order to get into the ''mindset'' of Teresa. So much in the lyrics, points to pivotal points in Teresa's maladaptive development.

Of course, I may be talking absolute bulls**t. :o :roll: It's just a personal reflection. :think:

If nothing else, but to spare ''Little Star'' afficionados the financial pain of having to purchase and listen to the entire back catalog of ''Bright Eyes'' :lol:

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Zeb wrote:and my copy turned up today! :D

Its a big one too-532 pages so should keep me going for a little while.
I think 532 pages is WAY too short! Unless there is a rather large humdrum section and I get bored I will most likely have it read in under a week. I read 120 pages last night and only stopped because if I didn't take my sleeping pills soon I would be up all night and be useless for work the next day. I tried slowing down but after every page I got the "ooh what's gonna happen next" face and had to keep going. JAL is just way too much of an obsession for me. I did the same thing with Handling the Undead. Read it in like 3 or 4 days in 80-90 page spurts. I just cannot stop myself! :D
slog tillbaka. hårt.

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Hm, I'll have to see if I can find anything by Bright Eyes on youtube... You've got me curious now. I'm a little worried though because you mentioned electronica and I despise that genre!
slog tillbaka. hårt.

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Tried Bright Eyes... not my cup of tea at all! BUT I can see why Teresa enjoys him so much and how his mindset is kind of similar to hers. I can admire him for that much but other than that I don't like him.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

Return to “Little Star”