So for a film version...

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
lombano

Re: So for a film version...

Post by lombano » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 am

She's probably too old now, but yes, a little while ago she would've been pretty good.
Bli mig lite.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:21 am

lombano wrote:
Bustedstuff15 wrote: Although it would be interesting I dont see this ever happening. This is one of those books that should stand by itself. I dont think you could convey Theres and Teresas characters accuratly through a movie. I feel as though it would end up being like the movie Carrie except with a few show tunes thrown in :D
I've not watched Carrie, but my understanding is that it's essentially a revenge story, which LS is not. I think it could be made to work, by focusing on the psychology, on character development.
The original Carrie movie didn't do as much character development as I could have wished (no movie made from an SK novel has ever satisfied me), but it is present. The revenge element is simply the most memorable. The novel, particularly, was a scathing jab at society in general and at high school social hierarchy more specifically.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I would favor casting a complete unknown as Theres, because that is the character and also that is usually what happens when you cast children.

I does occur to me that you have the same pairing of physical types you had in the first novel: pretty and chubby-homily. The pairing of Scarlett Johanson and Thora Birch in Ghost World captures some of that, although they would need to be three or four years younger.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 pm

gattoparde59 wrote:I would favor casting a complete unknown as Theres, because that is the character and also that is usually what happens when you cast children.

I does occur to me that you have the same pairing of physical types you had in the first novel: pretty and chubby-homily. The pairing of Scarlett Johanson and Thora Birch in Ghost World captures some of that, although they would need to be three or four years younger.
Johanson and Birch? Which is the pretty, and which the "chubby-homely"?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 pm

sauvin wrote:Johanson and Birch? Which is the pretty, and which the "chubby-homely"?
Scarlett as Theres, Thora as Teresa.

Last edited by gattoparde59 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

EEA

Post by EEA » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I could see the movie as an animated movie.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm

EEA wrote:I could see the movie as an animated movie.
Yes, that would solve many of the problems with producing this, such as child actors.

Nisa

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm

It could also give more freedom as to what Theres could be.

lombano

Post by lombano » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:54 am

sauvin wrote:
lombano wrote:
Bustedstuff15 wrote: Although it would be interesting I dont see this ever happening. This is one of those books that should stand by itself. I dont think you could convey Theres and Teresas characters accuratly through a movie. I feel as though it would end up being like the movie Carrie except with a few show tunes thrown in :D
I've not watched Carrie, but my understanding is that it's essentially a revenge story, which LS is not. I think it could be made to work, by focusing on the psychology, on character development.
The original Carrie movie didn't do as much character development as I could have wished (no movie made from an SK novel has ever satisfied me), but it is present. The revenge element is simply the most memorable. The novel, particularly, was a scathing jab at society in general and at high school social hierarchy more specifically.
Better late than never - in LS, authority figures like the police (probably the most inept of all), parents and parent figures, the school system, the medical establishment, etc are feckless, bullying is par for the course at school and generally adults range from having good intentions but ultimately clueless/out of their depth at best to being monsters at worst. Yet all of this is basically a backdrop - it allows what happens to happen, but it's not what LS is about. It's not a jab at HS subculture, or common attitudes among parents, etc. I see it as first and foremost an exploration of some very dark psychological corners.
Bli mig lite.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm

The ending is my favorite part of the novel. A film version could cut some from the beginning of the story, but the ending has to be complete. The whole novel is building towards this final scene, or at least it seems to be in retrospect.

For the film version the final scene is pretty self-explanatory, a wonderful piece of theater all on its own. My idea for the film version is to borrow from the pool scene from Let the Right One In. In that scene the camera stays fixed on Oskar, and all around the edges of the picture we catch glimpses of hell breaking loose. The same thing could be done with Theres singing "Thank You for the Music." The camera stays fixed on Theres singing while all around the edges of the frame we see and hear evidence of the world going to hell. We have a wonderful detail of the orchestra behind Theres getting up and running away. When Theres finishes the song she walks out onto the runway to howl with the wolf pack. Only then do we see the results of the attack with dead and wounded etc. The pack howling together would make an interesting challenge for the director, maybe showing each girl in a series of rapid cuts.

That would give me goosebumps if it was done right.

Nisa

Return to “Little Star”