Little Star - Hypothetical Movie Version

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
danielma

Little Star - Hypothetical Movie Version

Post by danielma » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Okay i'm going to borrow an idea from Cyberghostface and ask a hypothetical here...Little Star, what if it were to be made into a film?

What would you want to see from a film version?
What do you think would make the cut?
Who would you like to see Direct it?
Who could you see in the lead roles of Theres and Teresa?
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

drakkar

Re: Little Star - Hypothetical Movie Version

Post by drakkar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 am

I'm still pondering the question - who is Theres, what is Theres? Ar there supernatural aspects in LS? OK, we have the red smoke, but that is the only direct referance I can recall right now. Is Theres a girl or is she some kind of a supernatural being?
The film has to decide how it will go upon this. My take came to be that even though a lot of Theres' features could find a natural explanation separately, the total don't quite sum up to me. The combination of growing up in total isolation without possessing a decent language, and being able to make other girls see the light just by talking to them for a short while - it doesn't quite sum up. So at the moment I'm leaning towards Theres being something else, the other, as Eli.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:01 am

I need to get this book! :D

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 pm

You should, I read it one and a half year ago - and believe me, the story still lingers on (or how to say it). In many ways I regard it a much better written book than LTROI, I've never encountered anything so razor edge fine tuned between warm-heartedness and utter tragedy. It operates on so many levels.

Making a film about it: You could take an LotR approach, where you concentrate mostly on (excerpts of) the outer action, leaving most of the inner story behind. (LotR is very much a story about loss, which is not very prominent in the film trilogy (OK Frodo leaves his old world and friends in the end, but that is just the final). I feel the magic of Little Star is the balance, you never quite manage to decide what is going on around Theres. I'm forced to dive deep into the matter, and even then I find it difficult to decide. I needed one year coming down from the razor edge, deciding Theres probably is some kind of supernatural being. After all.

I want that feeling in the film also. Something like LTROI, where you are shown the story - and then you can use a lifetime deciding what to think about it. So Little Star film will have to be another masterpiece in order to tell this story properly.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

danielma

Post by danielma » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 pm

You should, I read it one and a half year ago - and believe me, the story still lingers on (or how to say it). In many ways I regard it a much better written book than LTROI, I've never encountered anything so razor edge fine tuned between warm-heartedness and utter tragedy. It operates on so many levels.
This. I think it actually took LTROI's spot as my favourite JAL novel :)...I never thought I would hear myself say that. I mean I still love LTROI and it will always hold a special place for me, but I'll be damned, with more thought behind it, Little Star has sort of taken that spot.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 pm

drakkar wrote:I'm still pondering the question - who is Theres, what is Theres? Ar there supernatural aspects in LS? OK, we have the red smoke, but that is the only direct referance I can recall right now. Is Theres a girl or is she some kind of a supernatural being?
If this became a film, the portrayal of Theres would be a major challenge. How would she be played by an actress, or actresses at different ages? And her singing ability, how would you pull that off in a movie version? Theres singing is her most miraculous ability. Her speech is also described as a type of singing. How can you coach a child actress to pull something like that off?

Let the Right One In offers some ideas (enigma, dubbed voice, very subtle special effects), but I would very curious to see how Theres turned out in a screen version.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

snaps

Post by snaps » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm

An interesting choice of Director might be Ruben Östlund known for his quirky assymetric, non-linear films like ''Gitarrmongot'' and ''Involuntary''. 'Gitarrmongot'' even starts with the boy protagonist sabotaging aerial dishes, disrupting a transmitted perfomance of Lasse Berghagen singing 'Stockholm I Mitt Hjärta'' on an ''Allsång på Skansen'' event broadcast by STV.

The beginning clip from the trailer is taken from that opening sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odatuvKn ... 6898F2AFE4

snaps

Post by snaps » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

I am becoming increasingly convinced that Swedish ‘visual kei’ J-rocker, Yohio, should play the part of Theres in a film version of ‘Little Star’. He is the right age group, still only 16 (but looks younger). Talented musician, composer, fluent in Japanese. There is something totally ‘other-worldly’ about his appearance which you see in many of his photos. I think it’s in the eyes. The powerful, but void stare. I think it would be a genius masterstroke to cast him. After all, Lina played Eli without being a boy. There is something of an odd crossing of astral trajectories between ‘Little Star’ and the rise to prominence of Yohio.

snaps

Post by snaps » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Further evidence that 'Yohio' 16-year old Swedish prodigy, would be a good choice to play Theres in a film version. He is sooooo ''other unworldly'' Her he is singing in Japanes and playing guitar on his solo released last week.

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 am

snaps wrote:Further evidence that 'Yohio' 16-year old Swedish prodigy, would be a good choice to play Theres in a film version. He is sooooo ''other unworldly'' Her he is singing in Japanes and playing guitar on his solo released last week.
He is a skilled musician.

PS: I like the music part from 1:18

Return to “Little Star”