Beautiful ' Little Star '

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
now142

Beautiful ' Little Star '

Post by now142 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:29 pm

When I got this book home and started to read I could not stop. It was that good..I dont want to give the game away, but the reception she gave Max Hansen was very well written. And I wont go into what a really beautuful Girl was doing with a set of carpentry tools. If you havent allready read it, this a gread Book..

drakkar

Re: Beautiful ' Little Star '

Post by drakkar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Agreed. Little Star lingers on an on, just like Let the Right One In.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 pm

drakkar wrote:Agreed. Little Star lingers on an on, just like Let the Right One In.
QFT. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I realized I had finished it in three sessions, the last one lasting until about 1:30AM.

I also didn't like the ending at first, but the more I thought about it, the more multi-layered it became, very similar to the many layers in LTROI. Now I have more questions than answers, and consequently have begun reading it again. :geek:

And I am even more convinced now than I was in the beginning that Theres is the most 'innocent' of the main characters. :think:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

danielma

Post by danielma » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeap....its still lingering in my mind...I'm 240 pages in on my re-read and loving it even more the 2nd time around :)
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Here's a good "Little Star" review from The Australian.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ar ... 6169290713
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:42 am

My copy finally came in today! :D

lombano

Post by lombano » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:01 am

PeteMork wrote: I also didn't like the ending at first, but the more I thought about it, the more multi-layered it became, very similar to the many layers in LTROI. Now I have more questions than answers, and consequently have begun reading it again. :geek:

And I am even more convinced now than I was in the beginning that Theres is the most 'innocent' of the main characters. :think:
Innocence is relative - to me the worst monsters are Max Hansen and Teresa (not least because of the differing fates of Jerry and Johannes), though I'd say Jerry is ultimately more innocent than Theres. I loved the ending, on the one hand it's so open-ended while at the same time, it doesn't matter at all what happens next. And of course, the foul-legged wolves showed more decency and restraint than the girls.

It certainly showcases JAL's knack for turning seemingly simple or banal, everyday phrases or dialogue into something very twisted - think lines like 'Love, she said, 'not there' or 'Do you think I'm beautiful?' 'Yes.'
Bli mig lite.

Lucibel

Post by Lucibel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

I finished Little Star a couple weeks ago. I was going to write my impressions right after reading the last words, but decided to wait and let it linger a bit. Theres is a fascinating character, and it is the glue that holds it all. The ending is very JAL-like indeed. I did like it. The only thing that bothered me is the big chunk that is dedicated to Teresa’s childhood all the way through adolscence. I understand the necessity to have this in the story, but I somehow felt it dragged a bit too much. Anyone else felt this?

Other than that, I definitely enjoyed the read, however I sort of wanted or expected to like it more. I guess that’s the effect LTROI created.

Now I’ll finish a queue of books before I continue to another JAL story. Probably Harbour is next.

PS. I know I’ll now smirk everytime I see a drill :twisted:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

danielma

Post by danielma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 am

The only thing that bothered me is the big chunk that is dedicated to Teresa’s childhood all the way through adolscence. I understand the necessity to have this in the story, but I somehow felt it dragged a bit too much. Anyone else felt this?
No not at all, at least not for me. I found Teresa to be fascinating...for me , she was actually more interesting at times then Theres was. At least to me she was and I really had no problem with her adolescance being told because I quite enjoyed it and got wrapped up in it. So for me, no I didn't find it to drag personally.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Lucibel

Post by Lucibel » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:09 am

danielma wrote:I really had no problem with her adolescance being told because I quite enjoyed it and got wrapped up in it.
Aha. I think that's it then. Teresa's background didn't do for me what it did for you. Not that it was 'dreadful' or anything like that; not one bit. Just not as engaging for me as the rest. Great novel, none the less. Quite enjoyed it.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Return to “Little Star”