Little Star - Australian Cover

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
danielma

Little Star - Australian Cover

Post by danielma » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 am

Well for us few Australian's on this board (I know we're on here :D)

Guess what I just found XD

http://textpublishing.com.au/books-and- ... ttle-star/
http://textpublishing.com.au/static/fil ... eStar1.jpg (HIGH RESOLUTION COVER IMAGE)

Little Star - Set for release here in Australia on October 3rd

Synopsis
Lennart Cederström, embittered ex-pop singer, is foraging for mushrooms when he finds a baby left for dead in a plastic bag. He revives her and is utterly astonished by the sound of her crying: the child’s voice is a clear, haunting, perfectly pitched note.

Lennart decides the girl will be his project. Raised in isolation, untainted by the dross and banality of the everyday, she will become the vehicle for a pure, exquisite music. He installs the baby in the basement and threatens to kill his downtrodden wife if she breathes a word. But their delinquent son Jerry is a harder case and his ideas for the infant prodigy, whom he names Theres, involve talent shows, celebrity and enormous success.

Meanwhile the child is growing up and developing a few ideas of her own. Only hers involve a hammer. A hammer, and a very strong taste for violence and a strange ambition to appear on Swedish Idol.

Imagine what will happen when she finds a friend who shares her interests.
Extract
He was about to head off along his normal route, searching out the places where mushrooms grew when he noticed that the plastic bag was moving. He stopped. The bag moved again. It should have been down to the wind. That would have been best. But there wasn’t a breath of wind among the tree trunks.

Not good.

He heard a faint rustling noise as the piece of plastic shifted again, and all of a sudden his legs felt heavy. The forest surrounded him, silent and indifferent, and he was all alone in the world with whatever was in the plastic bag. Lennart swallowed, his throat dry, and moved forward a few steps. The bag was motionless now.

Go home. Ignore it.

He didn’t want to see an old dog who had almost, but only almost, been put out of its misery, or a pile of kittens with skulls that had almost, but only almost, been smashed. He didn’t want anything to do with that.

He grabbed hold of the piece of plastic and immediately leapt back, his hands flying up to his mouth. There was something inside the bag, something that had responded to his grip, something that felt like muscles, flesh. The earth around the bag had recently been disturbed. A grave. A little grave.

The thought gave rise to a series of associations and suddenly Lennart knew exactly what had responded to his hand. Another hand. A very small hand. Lennart edged back to the bag and began to clear away the earth. It didn’t take long; the soil had beenthrown carelessly over the bag, probably by someone without any tools, and in ten seconds Lennart had freed the bag and pulled it out of the hole.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Raven Eyes

Re: Little Star - Australian Cover

Post by Raven Eyes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:41 am

Decisions Decisions... Do I wait for the Australian release and support our local publishing and book companies even though it has a cover that reminds me more of Lady Gaga crossed with Oskar, or get the European release with a slightly more gothic cover and a slightly earlier release date... although probably arrive day of local release. Hmmm, still got time to decide :)

Return to “Little Star”