Lilla Stjärna is here!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
StefL

Re: Lilla Stjärna is here!

Post by StefL » Fri May 14, 2010 8:18 am

There's no way now I'll be able to wait for the paperback issue; as soon as I've finished re-reading LDRKI in a few days I'll go out and get Lilla Stjärna - so you can rest assured I'll have read it by the time you get here drakkar :D

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:39 pm

So, do you think the both of you would be able to read it to me before bed the weekend I am there? I always fall asleep better to some good Swedish fiction! :lol:
But say it now if you can't! There's nothing worse than being cut off in the middle of a good bedtime story!
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

StefL

Post by StefL » Fri May 14, 2010 7:55 pm

covenant6452 wrote:So, do you think the both of you would be able to read it to me before bed the weekend I am there? I always fall asleep better to some good Swedish fiction! :lol:
But say it now if you can't! There's nothing worse than being cut off in the middle of a good bedtime story!
Ha ha, we could always start - but I can't say how long we'll eventually get. How long did you say you were planning on staying...? ;)

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Hey, I'll be on holiday...I could be on your sofa for weeks! Hehehe! JK!

Theinfected914

Post by Theinfected914 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:02 pm

PeteMork wrote:You lucky dog! Us monolingual (for the most part) Americans are going to have to wait to see if JAL is even going to publish this in English!
Is it even entirely up to him to have it translated? If I were him, I would have had it translated at the release date, if that's possible to do. I think there's an audience for him here in the states and it would have been nice to let Americans, and any other foreign native have the privilege of reading it at the release; not wait for a year or so after. But than again, I don't know what the statistics are like in terms of numbers of copies sold worldwide, so maybe there's a reason not to translate it-- copies sold in accordance to his work.
"But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."

--Ernest Hemingway

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 am

Theinfected914 wrote:
PeteMork wrote:You lucky dog! Us monolingual (for the most part) Americans are going to have to wait to see if JAL is even going to publish this in English!
Is it even entirely up to him to have it translated? If I were him, I would have had it translated at the release date, if that's possible to do. I think there's an audience for him here in the states and it would have been nice to let Americans, and any other foreign native have the privilege of reading it at the release; not wait for a year or so after. But than again, I don't know what the statistics are like in terms of numbers of copies sold worldwide, so maybe there's a reason not to translate it-- copies sold in accordance to his work.
To be pedantic, JAL doesn't publish anything. He enters into agreements with companies (called publishers oddly enough :roll: ) who buy from him the right to publish his work. These companies are willing to do this when they believe that they can sell enough copies of the given book to make some money after they pay off their costs (what they pay to JAL, plus the costs of publishing, plus the cost of translation). A company in the UK called Quercus has come to this belief for three of JAL's books: Let The Right One In, Handling The Undead, and now his Human Harbor.

In the US, St. Martin's Press has published Let The Right One In (first as Let Me in, then again as Let The Right One In after the success of Tomas' film). I believe these companies wait to see how a given book of JAL's sells in Sweden before they are willing to undertake the costs of translation.

For this reason, us anglophones will always have to wait a year or more after JAL's works are published in Swedish to read them in English. :(
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:07 am

Wolfchild wrote:For this reason, us anglophones will always have to wait a year or more after JAL's works are published in Swedish to read them in English.
Or struggle with the book in one hand and a Swedish/English dictionary in the other. Not quite as enjoyable, but a learning experience nonetheless! :ugeek:

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Lilla stjärna will be much easier :mrgreen:
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun May 16, 2010 6:23 pm

covenant6452 wrote:
Wolfchild wrote:For this reason, us anglophones will always have to wait a year or more after JAL's works are published in Swedish to read them in English.
Or struggle with the book in one hand and a Swedish/English dictionary in the other. Not quite as enjoyable, but a learning experience nonetheless! :ugeek:
Yes, I have been contemplating this notion myself. :|
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon May 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Wolfchild wrote:
covenant6452 wrote:
Yes, I have been contemplating this notion myself. :|
Why don't you buy the Swedish edition of "Låt den rätte komma in"? You know the novel very, very well, and already got the English edition to compare with.
JAL's language is seemingly simple, so the first level of interpretation is easy to get. And when you plunge into the universe between the written words, you have the English edition to guide you.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Little Star”