Anyone else think that the publisher went overboard with...

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Människohamn
ChellyBlaze

Re: Anyone else think that the publisher went overboard with

Post by ChellyBlaze » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah I think they did.
I think an author should be held up in their own light, you know? Not be compared to others who contribute to the writing community with ideas that are different from the other.

I'm a fan of Stephen King but I certainly have not read any of JAL's novels because of him or what the publishers have said. I make up my own mind and don't read things just because a publisher practically says, "If you love that book you'll love this one too!"

I think it's just kinda stupid to do, in my opinion. :\

Zeb

Post by Zeb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 am

This will always go on.Look at the recent death of Tony Scott and how the media kept referencing TopGun which was made almost 30 years ago considering the amount of work he'd done since.People who might not have heard of him as a person would surely know his work.When a book has done so well publishers will always capitilise on the very same with later publications-its a very simple form of advertising.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda

danielma

Post by danielma » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:32 pm

ChellyBlaze wrote:Yeah I think they did.
I think an author should be held up in their own light, you know? Not be compared to others who contribute to the writing community with ideas that are different from the other.

I'm a fan of Stephen King but I certainly have not read any of JAL's novels because of him or what the publishers have said. I make up my own mind and don't read things just because a publisher practically says, "If you love that book you'll love this one too!"

I think it's just kinda stupid to do, in my opinion. :\

in theory that is true...but unfortunately that doesn't always sell...it's purely a marketing thing and nothing more...just a way to grab the attention of someone who has never heard of Lindqvist.

I don't mind the comparison...I think the comparison is sound as there are a few times that I see hints of King in Lindqvist's writing...but it's the overkill (as Cyber so put it) of posting the quote over and over again all over the book...I'm sure once is more then enough.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Return to “Harbour”