Geography of Människohamn

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Människohamn
kaonto

Geography of Människohamn

Post by kaonto » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 pm

The prologue of Harbour mentions that "you have to remove some islands from the map and add some others". I grew up on one of those islands you have to remove, it's just one nautical mile east of Rådmansö, not two as Domarö is supposed to be.

I hadn't heard of any island called Gåvasten though, and there are no lighthouses that close to the mainland. Anyway, when I was visiting my parents who still live there, I saw this old map from early 19th century, and the Island now known as "Granhamn" was called 'Gåwasten' back then. Nice touch!

http://www2.sofi.se/SOFIU/topo1951/_cdw ... 00382a.pdf
Last edited by kaonto on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet.

drakkar

Re: Geography of Människohamn

Post by drakkar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:23 pm

kaonto wrote:Anyway, when I was visiting my parents who still live there, I saw this old map from early 19th century, and the Island now known as "Granhamn" was called 'Gåwasten' back then. Nice touch!
Wow! What about "Nåten"? Tried to look it up, but I only found some skerry out in the archipelago.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

kaonto

Re: Geography of Människohamn

Post by kaonto » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:52 pm

drakkar wrote: Wow! What about "Nåten"? Tried to look it up, but I only found some skerry out in the archipelago.
Nah, I guess he just made that name up. It's either Rådmansö (the peninsula where many of his stories take place), or Rävsnäs, which is the easternmost bit of the peninsula.
Cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet.

Return to “Harbour”