prologue?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Människohamn
waggy05

prologue?

Post by waggy05 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 pm

I just read a post in the HtU section that stated Harbour has a prologue, and that the prologue includes Flora (from HtU).
Is this true? I just got Harbour last week and noticed nothing that would lead me to believe Flora was mentioned at all. The beginning would be the "welcome to Domaro" and "sea buckthorn" parts... did I completely miss something? or is the prologue not included with the novel?

StefL

Re: prologue?

Post by StefL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:44 pm

I think someone has misunderstood if that's what you've read - or you might have misunderstood what someone else wrote. What does exist is an epilogue to HtU which includes Flora. It's called The Final Handling and is a short story/novella of 97 pages included in JAL's third book Paper Walls which from what I hear is due in English sometime during 2011.

waggy05

Post by waggy05 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 pm

yeah that's what I thought. I may have just completely read it wrong, or someone used the wrong novel name on accident. I heard that Flora is a very key character in The Final Handling.

StefL

Post by StefL » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 pm

waggy05 wrote: I heard that Flora is a very key character in The Final Handling.
She is yes, if you've read Handling the Undead you start to see her importance at the ending of it :)

waggy05

Post by waggy05 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:07 am

that would make sense, I have read HtU, and it felt like the last part with Flora and her grandmother ended abruptly with some important things left to be done. if only I could read Swedish, or if only JAL's stuff would get translated faster! I was able to obtain a copy of Harbour from the UK, thankfully.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:18 am

waggy05 wrote:that would make sense, I have read HtU, and it felt like the last part with Flora and her grandmother ended abruptly with some important things left to be done.
This was exactly my thoughts also, and why I felt the epilogue was so important for the story.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Harbour”