Spiritus

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Människohamn
Aurora

Spiritus

Post by Aurora » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 am

If you haven't read the book keep away as this topic is full of spoilers.

First of all I liked the creature, but I did have some problems with the way it came across, I'm willing to accept that some of this might have come from difficulties with translation.

At various times it was described as an insect, a larvae and a worm. While a larvae can be similar to a worm an insect is something very different. Keeping it simple would have helped here, as the descriptions of it's state of health worked perfectly.

Another inconsistancy is that it was described as similar to a battery being charged by it's human guardian. Fair enough as it seems to be content to live in a matchbox living off saliva, but it also killed a cat :think:

All in all though I really enjoyed it and I'll put up a review shortly.

p.s. It should be a really good film too :)
Team Eli

drakkar

Re: Spiritus

Post by drakkar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 am

Aurora wrote:p.s. It should be a really good film too :)
There has been rumours TA/JAL will do exactly that, but I haven't heard anything lately. The bio.nu page hasn't been changed for a while.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 am

I was more irritated with the creature's name than with its description. "Spiritus" sounds just campy in my ear.
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 am

The Spertus, or Spiritus, has been mention in nordic folklore. paranormal.se about Spertus writes:

Nordiska Museet describes the Spertus, or Spiritus, as a small worm kept in a box. I provided the owner with silver coins the owner coul just take from the box.
The downside owning a Spertus was that you owed your soul to the devil. To buy the soul back was impossible, you could only be saved by a priest. (Which should be fairly easy, regarding you had plenty of silver to buy one - :oops: sorry, my comment).
- Karl Ove Knausgård

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 am

Still sounds campy, it's too easily associated with denatured alcohol nowadays.
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 am

:lol:
Not just nowadays - I'm getting old and sold the equipment years ago.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't really have a problem with the word "spiritus." It certainly sounds better than "water bug." :) If you google the word it has all kinds of connotations that make it relevant for the critter in the story. A supernatural critter, a "familiar" spirit that serves its owner, or maybe vice versa?

That it's a Latin word is part of the old time belief that knowledge of Latin gave the users magical powers. J.K. Rowling comes to mind with her Latin spells.

I thought the spiritus made the story a little too busy as far as supernatural stuff goes, but it makes sense the way it figures later in the plot.

In retrospect I think the cat was killed by what is known in another story as "blood bending." Simon (another magical name) gives a demo later in the story.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

lombano

Post by lombano » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:04 pm

TAPETRVE wrote:I was more irritated with the creature's name than with its description. "Spiritus" sounds just campy in my ear.
Same here. It also seemed to me a little bit too much supernatural too early. Spertus sounds better. I wasn't too bothered by the descriptions, some insects do have worm-like appearances, so I just assumed it was like one of those.
Bli mig lite.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:13 pm

I saw Spiritus as more of a red herring. It gets introduced so early, you think to yourself, "Ah ha! So this is how the story is going to go." Then, of course, you find that JAL has something completely different in store for you. Instead, Spiritus only serves to provide the end for Henrik and Bjorn, and to et Anders in and out of the, umm... spirit world version of Damarö.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

danielma

Post by danielma » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:20 am

Wolfchild wrote:I saw Spiritus as more of a red herring. It gets introduced so early, you think to yourself, "Ah ha! So this is how the story is going to go." Then, of course, you find that JAL has something completely different in store for you. Instead, Spiritus only serves to provide the end for Henrik and Bjorn, and to et Anders in and out of the, umm... spirit world version of Damarö.

Same thought...I too instantly thought that the Spiritus was going to be the main focal point of the story, as in all the terrible things would be connected to the Spiritus. However was surprised when that wasn't the answer at all. Especially after reading Handling which as we know (well I hope people here know) centers around the White Caterpillars.

I would agree a little the Spiritus does sound a little campy though. But it didn't bother me so badly to take me out of the story.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Return to “Harbour”