A Mini-Review of Människohamn/Harbour

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Människohamn
jonjon_z

Re: A Mini-Review of Människohamn/Harbour

Post by jonjon_z » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:21 pm

I just finished Harbour and the book makes for creepishly fun reading ala Stephen King, especially for someone like me who lives fairly close to the Sea. I may never go anywhere near the ocean after dusk again... lol

I must say that Harbour is a good read. Not quite gripping but it is fun. If you are looking for similar elements to "Let The Right One In" you may be disappointed. Although there are 12 and 13 year olds, the main protagonists are quite different. The asides are many (including flashbacks) and there are inside jokes, some of which may have you heading to google to look up 80's music groups.

With that said, I can see a film adaptation of this book.
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

lombano

Post by lombano » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:08 am

jonjon_z wrote:I just finished Harbour and the book makes for creepishly fun reading ala Stephen King, especially for someone like me who lives fairly close to the Sea. I may never go anywhere near the ocean after dusk again... lol.
Yes, one doesn't see the sea again in quite the same way. I say that as someone who's spending the holidays on the coast staying near a lighthouse and goes swimming in the sea...
Bli mig lite.

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:52 am

While the detailed descriptions of people and places and situations was great, I must admit I found the plot a bit too loose. In the end the suggestion that people who had disappeared weren't really dead, unless they reappeared and were killed like the woman whom Anders found near the Shack. So what exactly happened to Henrik and Bjorn, they seemed to have a different role, as agents of whatever. But the 'evil' is frequently stated to not notice individuals, but individuals are certainly targeted. A lot of loose ends, lack of explanation. In the end too much mystery for me.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:49 pm

crazychristina wrote:While the detailed descriptions of people and places and situations was great, I must admit I found the plot a bit too loose. In the end the suggestion that people who had disappeared weren't really dead, unless they reappeared and were killed like the woman whom Anders found near the Shack. So what exactly happened to Henrik and Bjorn, they seemed to have a different role, as agents of whatever. But the 'evil' is frequently stated to not notice individuals, but individuals are certainly targeted. A lot of loose ends, lack of explanation. In the end too much mystery for me.
Don't drink the water! The people being held in the realm down the stairs could return to the human world using sea water as a medium and then possessing the bodies of living people. This all seems to be part of the sea "entity" losing its grip on its prisoners. Henrik and Bjorn take this idea one step further: they return as incorporated sea water at least as near as I can tell.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:36 pm

But what about the woman who returned as herself? Anders found her drowned near the Shack, she had been dead only a day or so but disappeared a year earlier. I think this was a crucial step because it gave Anders reason to believe that Maja could come back alive.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:01 pm

[quote="crazychristina"]But what about the woman who returned as herself? Anders found her drowned near the Shack, she had been dead only a day or so but disappeared a year earlier. I think this was a crucial step because it gave Anders reason to believe that Maja could come back alive.[/quote]

More evidence that the entity was losing its grip. There is a passage in the novel where they say just that. They lady was somebody's wife (can't remember the name) who wanted her to go away- the suspicion was he had murdered her.

The point with her showing up drowned was she tried to get away, but lacked the Spiritus that Anders is conveniently supplied with at the end.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Jitto

Post by Jitto » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 pm

I quite enjoyed this book but have to say its quite different from his earlier ones. One things for sure is that its definitely a heavy read and like someone mentioned before re-reading certain parts is quite necessary. I came across one question which i havent quite found the answer to yet. What did eventually happen to Simon and anna gretta? they just got stuck on a ship that got stuck on the newly formed Ice?
I think i might have lost myself in the read in this place. Any clarification will greatly be appreciated :D

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Dont remember the book saying anything about it. Anyway the entity was losing it's power, so I get it they were OK. The important thing was they weren't at Domarö at that time!

Btw, JAL told in Oslo a week ago about a song he had on repeat while writing Människohamn - Lifelines by A-ha (played 666 times).
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Jitto

Post by Jitto » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 am

drakkar wrote:Dont remember the book saying anything about it. Anyway the entity was losing it's power, so I get it they were OK. The important thing was they weren't at Domarö at that time!

Btw, JAL told in Oslo a week ago about a song he had on repeat while writing Människohamn - Lifelines by A-ha (played 666 times).
cheers man thanks for the reply

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 am

I think I would shoot myself if I heard any song played 666 times in a row.

Nisa

Return to “Harbour”