still reading ...

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
let me out

still reading ...

Post by let me out » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 am

Ive been reading htu for a couple of days now and the elias scenes are terribly hard for me to read . I am liking it more than i expected , but its almost too much for me. Also i realised how much i really like jal . I read little star and ltroi ( obviously ) and he is just great .

Anyways i wanted to ask , which book was too much for you in certain areas ?

varamiglite

Re: still reading ...

Post by varamiglite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

let me out wrote:Ive been reading htu for a couple of days now and the elias scenes are terribly hard for me to read . I am liking it more than i expected , but its almost too much for me. Also i realised how much i really like jal . I read little star and ltroi ( obviously ) and he is just great .

Anyways i wanted to ask , which book was too much for you in certain areas ?
Too much moments:

1. LTROI- the toothless prostitute boy and the scene discussing an orgy he'd had with friends. The entire zombie Hakan story was just plain dumb. I wanted to skip that entirely but I didn't lest I may miss something.

2. HtU- Elias and his family were the ones i cared most about. It was obvious from the start, kind of, what was going to become of him and his family. The gross parts where Mahler was trying to pus the waste out of Elias' body was way too much!
slog tillbaka. hårt.

J.J.

Post by J.J. » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 pm

I just started reading this book and so far I'm liking it a lot. I love zombie/undead stories. A lot. So I'm really enjoying it ^__^
You have to invite me in

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:19 pm

One of the difficult things to handle in HTU was their efforts to reconnect with Elias. To love someone with the desire to have that love acknowledged and reciprocated, yet being uncertain whether the beloved person can ever do those things. That is very bittersweet.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:One of the difficult things to handle in HTU was their efforts to reconnect with Elias. To love someone with the desire to have that love acknowledged and reciprocated, yet being uncertain whether the beloved person can ever do those things. That is very bittersweet.
Actually it's exactly this kind of commitment that I could completely relate to. In spite of wildly fantastic circumstances and a bit too much of metaphysical clutter true human emotions saved this novel for me.
As a companion to the book I suggest a French film released in 2004 called "They Came Back"(Les Revenants) . It's plot has some amazing parallels with JAL's novel. It's available at Netflix in DVD and streaming. Check it out if you can.
Vitaly

http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:14 am

I just finished watching the movie that Nightrider mentioned above on Hulu and it really is a good companion for HtU. I have to admit that some parts of the movie are downright boring but it complements JAL's work very well.
slog tillbaka. hårt.

danielma

Post by danielma » Wed May 09, 2012 5:03 am

LTROI - You know, Elias final conflict with Hakan was tough to read but it never had the effect on me that the "Oskar being Whipped" scene had on me. For me personally, the toughest scene in LTROI (Book) is still the scene of Oskar being whipped...same scene in the movie, hell even in the remake that scene brings a lump to my throat and a bit of tear to my eye...but then again, I think that's mainly due to the fact that I have had a similar situation in my childhood...so maybe that's why I find it the hardest thing to read in that book

HTU - There was no one moment that I recall "affecting" me...I would say the entire Handling of Elias and his family was the most emotionally engaging of that novel, but never especially hard to read.

Harbour - The scene where Hubba and Bubba drown Elsa...that scene always got me for some reason

Little Star - Teresa killing Johannes...end of story. The reason it was tough? I knew it was coming from the moment Johannes said something along the lines "We will grow old and die together"....I just knew it was coming and when it happened, I couldn't bare it because of how brutal and cold it was. I say that in a positive light, but that scene really got me in LS
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Return to “Handling The Undead”