Just finished reading...

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
ofelia

Just finished reading...

Post by ofelia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 pm

There are a lot of spoilers here, but I'll cover them up anyway:

For a couple of reasons, this one was hard for me. The main one is the fact that it felt uncomfortably close to home because of recent experiences (losing people, not the dead returning, obviously). Especially the way Anna and Mahler clung to Elias, that was where the real horror of the novel was for me. Another is the imagery of the soul as being a/ in a white caterpillar, because that happens to be the one living creature I can't stand :? Finally, the fact that it was in English made me realize I can't do it anymore, I have to read JAL in Swedish. :D But since I'd heard this wasn't his best book I didn't want to buy it.

It definitely didn't hit me the way LTROI did, but it was moving and original. This is the only "zombie" book I've ever read, not counting one I read by mistake (didn't know what it was about, it turned out to be awful). Like LTROI, which was the first vampire book I ever read. I'd stayed away from them before because of the huge trend that Twilight provoked, and the fact that it's just not the kind of thing I usually read. But once again JAL finds a lot of humanity and sorrow in the subject. I find it really interesting that the "other", in both books (havent read the others yet) is treated both as something to be pitied, at least in the reader's eyes; and the fact that it's so scientific. There usually isn't an explanation of why or how the other exists/functions. I love his approach to horror and the writing style. And while I like the fact that he tends to use multiple storylines I felt like none of the characters here were really developed enough that you could love them, like Oskar and Eli. I felt for them, but they didn't stand out.

That's my opinion, I don't know how much of it has already been brought up, but I didn't want to tack on to someone else's review. :)

Nightrider

Re: Just finished reading...

Post by Nightrider » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 pm

This book should make a fantastic movie, especially since JAL supposedly working on the screenplay.
HTU shouldn't be compared to LTROI since they are so different. Different rhythm, different universe, different set of problems that beset the characters. I too have lost family members and vividly remember thinking how far I would go if there was a chance to bring them back. That is one of the main reasons HTU works for me, even though it was a tough read.
Vitaly
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 am

I wish I had read HTU more recently, so I could offer an intelligent comment on this thoughtful review. But now I'm starting Little Star...but in general, I agree with your observations.

varamiglite

Post by varamiglite » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 am

I am about halfway through it and I'm noticing that every encounter with the characters is too brief to get anything out of. I'm hoping eventually each character's pieces will come together into something bigger so I can care about them. Right now I like them but not enough to care for them. Hoping it gets better later...
slog tillbaka. hårt.

ofelia

Post by ofelia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Nightrider wrote: HTU shouldn't be compared to LTROI since they are so different. Different rhythm, different universe, different set of problems that beset the characters.
While I agree, up to a point, I think there are some things (not necessarily plot related) that JAL does repeat or do similarly to LTROI. Weird little coincidences, like Elias having lost an ear when he died, which also happened to Eli in the basement And the fact that, speaking broadly here, he seems to have a talent for making something fresh and unexpected out of some very old myths/fears.

And I knew something bad was going to happen to the rabbit... :? :)

StefL

Post by StefL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:29 am

I have to agree that HtU doesn't quite reach the same level as LDRKI, even if it doese raise some very interesting questions and puts a new focus on another fictional "creature", i.e. zombies.
I find however that the epilogue - The Final Handling - which is included in Paper Walls adds considerably to this story, both in terms of closure, plus that you get to know the character Flora and her grandmother a lot better.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 am

Are they going to make a movie out of this?

StefL

Post by StefL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Are they going to make a movie out of this?
That is the plan as far as I understand
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2118648/

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:49 pm

This novel is so perfect to be made into a film that when I close my eyes I can see individual scenes playing out on the big screen. Unfortunately, if the movie was to be made today it would probably be accused of trying to cash in on the current zombie craze and possibly vanish into obscurity of home video. The only way to make HTU a worthy cinematic endeavor, is to make the story of the living main focus of the film. Make the film appear as real as possible...make the extraordinary circumstances described in the book appear mundane and eartbound.
Whatever the outcome, I can't wait to see the final product.
Vitaly
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

J.J.

Post by J.J. » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Well, I finally finished reading HTU and I agree with most of you that it's very good even though it can't be compared to LTROI. I found some passages a bit confused (Elvy & Flora's parts, especially...) but I solved all the doubts by reading these topics 8-)
And of course it's a very original twist to the classic "zombie story", so... I enjoyed it a lot ^__^
You have to invite me in

Return to “Handling The Undead”