thinking of buying this novel

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
ZWD40

thinking of buying this novel

Post by ZWD40 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 pm

First off, please no spoilers
I know this sounds difficult, but I would like to get some feedback on this novel without spoilers

Aside from "JAL wrote it!!!!" I'd like to hear some convincing statements to get me to buy this novel

I'd buy it outright, but I've got 3 books to finish, and 6-8 others that I've wanted to get for the past year :lol:

so, let's hear it!
... she looks like a kid who has just been overindulgent with chocolate cake or a messy candy bar...
I could just picture Arnold planting a bloody kiss on Oskar telling him "I'll be back."

drakkar

Re: thinking of buying this novel

Post by drakkar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:14 pm

I regard it John's weakest novel. His writing style could perhaps be characterized as slouchy, with many side plots which at first glance might look unnecessary (which they aren't). HtU divides the main plot/theme (what to call it?) into several parts, making the book coming across as a bit fragmented. The ending also I thought was a tad too open ended. I also regard HtU the weakest language wise, with a few examples of cliché style.
That said, HtU is an excellent and ingenious take on zombies. It raises existensial questions and has a realistic view of how society actual would react if we got our beloved ones back from the grave...
John later wrote an epilogue, the 100 pages long "Final Handling" (Included in Paper Walls), which I liked much better. Here John's dark but heartfelt houmor really blooms.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:57 pm

HTU was second book by Lindquist that I read immediately after LTROI. I liked the novel in spite of a decelerated rhythm. I've re-read the novel one more time and understood things better. I also got a hold of English translation of epilogue "The Final Handling" which expanded HTU universe even more. Whenever I speak to anybody who enjoys reading, HTU is one of the books I always recommend.

PS. After I read "Little Star" I was struck by similarities of Jerry and Kalle from HTU. Originally when I was reading HTU I was trying to picture Kalle in my head...surprisingly I imagined Jerry looking almost the same as I was reading "Little Star".
Last edited by Nightrider on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

ZWD40

Post by ZWD40 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:45 am

I think I'll get this novel when I see "Paper Walls" being offered as well(to read Final Handling)

thanks for the feedback guys
... she looks like a kid who has just been overindulgent with chocolate cake or a messy candy bar...
I could just picture Arnold planting a bloody kiss on Oskar telling him "I'll be back."

Return to “Handling The Undead”