HtU Locations: The Heath

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
drakkar

HtU Locations: The Heath

Post by drakkar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:15 pm

During our Stockholm weekend in June, StefL's Lindqvist tours made a brief visit to the Heath :mrgreen:
As far as I recall, and the map tells me, the place we visited was in Ursvik, Sundbyberg (please correct me if I'm wrong). I also managed to take some pictures. :)

Here is the main gate to the Heath:

And here is a peek inside over the fence:
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

StefL

Re: HtU Locations: The Heath

Post by StefL » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:46 pm

drakkar wrote:During our Stockholm weekend in June, StefL's Lindqvist tours
Happy to oblige :lol:
drakkar wrote:made a brief visit to the Heath :mrgreen:
As far as I recall, and the map tells me, the place we visited was in Ursvik, Sundbyberg (please correct me if I'm wrong). I also managed to take some pictures. :)
The location is correct as far as I have been able to tell from Handling the Undead and The Final Handling (where only a general area of the location is specified). And although The Heath as such doesn't exist, with some imagination drakkar's pictures could very well be showing it...

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:52 pm

StefL wrote:The Heath as such doesn't exist, with some imagination drakkar's pictures could very well be showing it...
I'm rereading the epilogue (Final Handling) now and it was exactly what they did.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 am

I imagined the fence to be higher but then Flora does jump it easily from memory. it looks very strange on a nice clear day. There's something about it that doesn't look quite right, I don't know, hmm. So has it ever actually been referred to as the Heath? Before HTU was written? I wonder what it's called by locals.

StefL

Post by StefL » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am

Opeth wrote:I imagined the fence to be higher but then Flora does jump it easily from memory. it looks very strange on a nice clear day. There's something about it that doesn't look quite right, I don't know, hmm. So has it ever actually been referred to as the Heath? Before HTU was written? I wonder what it's called by locals.
As I mentioned above, the Heath doesn't exist in reality. When the book was originally written, there were no buildings in the location where it is said to be. But since then the area has been developed, and the fenced in site that drakkar photographed when he visited me three years ago is a construction site which is now completed and fully occupied - by normal living people :D .

The larger building in the above picture however, is actually part of a facility located next to the area which belongs to FOI - the Swedish Defence's Research Institute. That's sort of fitting for the story actually...

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 am

Sort of fitting, maybe a little too fitting. Hmm... :D I'm guessing that has belonged to the FOI for quite a while.

StefL

Post by StefL » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 am

Opeth wrote:Sort of fitting, maybe a little too fitting. Hmm... :D I'm guessing that has belonged to the FOI for quite a while.
Sure it has - it was built for the purpose, and the style of building in the picture says 60's or 70's to me. I have to admit though that I'm not entirely sure whether it's still there and being used by FOI or whether it was evacuated and/or even demolished when the area was developed for housing. My brother should know - he's a research engineer at FOI, albeit at another of their sites... :D

Return to “Handling The Undead”