So Why Is It That Flora... (spoilers)

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
a_contemplative_life

So Why Is It That Flora... (spoilers)

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm

*Spoilers*

... was the only one who was able to see "Death" (as herself) when everyone else could not look at Death?

DMt.

Re: So Why Is It That Flora... (spoilers)

Post by DMt. » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Because she and her Grandma can dree their ain wyrd?

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

But others had seen Death, but Death appeared to each of them differently. Eva had already seen Death and incorporated it into her books as a character.

JAL explains Flora's vision of Death to us himself:
For me death is a wolf, Peter thought and Flora realized that something she had thought was only imaginative play was her own fundamental belief: she herself was Death.

Of all the ways it was possible to imagine Death as a human figure-the man with the scythe, the Phantom Charioteer, a leering skeleton or an old African woman-Flora had been drawn to the idea of Death as a twin sister. It stemmed from a couple of years ago when she had been standing in front of the mirror with a candle trying to summon the Dark Lady, and seen only herself. The idea had come to her then.
It took Flora a great effort to turn her head to look at Death. Not surprising, if you see yourself as Death.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:50 pm

I thought THAT was interesting, everyone as their own image of death. I wonder what death looks like throught my eyes? Hmm:P
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:16 am

Flora seemed to just know what it all was about. (HtU and the final handling viewed as an unit).
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Hume

Post by Hume » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Wolfchild wrote:But others had seen Death, but Death appeared to each of them differently. Eva had already seen Death and incorporated it into her books as a character.

For me death is a wolf, Peter thought and Flora realized that something she had thought was only imaginative play was her own fundamental belief: she herself was Death.

Of all the ways it was possible to imagine Death as a human figure-the man with the scythe, the Phantom Charioteer, a leering skeleton or an old African woman-Flora had been drawn to the idea of Death as a twin sister. It stemmed from a couple of years ago when she had been standing in front of the mirror with a candle trying to summon the Dark Lady, and seen only herself. The idea had come to her then.
It took Flora a great effort to turn her head to look at Death. Not surprising, if you see yourself as Death.
And for the religious character, Elvy, Death appears as the Virgin Mary.

jdudley118

Post by jdudley118 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:41 am

Hume wrote:
Wolfchild wrote:But others had seen Death, but Death appeared to each of them differently. Eva had already seen Death and incorporated it into her books as a character.

And for the religious character, Elvy, Death appears as the Virgin Mary.
I just finished this book!
What I liked about Death in this book was how everyone saw Death differently but no matter what the person saw Death always had hooks on their fingers. That was a pretty cool description of Death.
... . -.. -..
-- . -..
-.- .- .-. .-.. . -.-

Return to “Handling The Undead”