HtU To be Published In the US

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
Wolfchild

HtU To be Published In the US

Post by Wolfchild » Wed May 05, 2010 2:51 pm

I just noticed at Amazon that Handling The Undead will be released in hardcover in the U.S. on September 28, 2010. AFAIK, this will be the only hardcover English translation in print. Awesome. I've been wanting a hardcover of HtU. 8-)

I hope the cover art is interesting.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

StefL

Re: HtU To be Published In the US

Post by StefL » Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm

But it's been available in English for quite some time, hasn't it? ;)
So you're actually saying it was released first as paperback and not until now as hardcover? Seems like a backwards way of doing it, but I guess it's a quicker way to spread it; personally I mostly wait for paperback issues of books not purely out of financial reasons but because I find them more convenient to read.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

AFAIK, it is only published in English in the UK, and that is only a paperback edition. I have one of those, but for books that I plan to keep I always prefer hardcover, since they are more durable.

Also, hardcover books just have an intangible feeling of... I don't know what - seriousness perhaps? - that paperbacks just seem to lack (even large format paperbacks like the Quercus edition of HtU).
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

StefL

Post by StefL » Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 pm

I see - well I hope the US release will spread the word, and hopefully it might get boosted by the Let Me In movie release.

And I can only agree with you about the feeling of hardbacks, no doubt there. Still, since I often find myself reading either in bed or while traveling I usually find paperbacks a lot easier to handle. However, nothing beats sitting in a nice chair reading a proper hardback. For some years now I've been trying to give myself some time every year on my vacation to sit in peace reading Plato, whose texts have recently had new translations made into Swedish. I think it's about 6 pretty thick volumes all in all, and so far I've managed just about one out of the three I've got - but it's really good reading :D

genie47

Post by genie47 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I think this has to do with finding a proper release for the book. Right now, or rather actually in Mar of this year, The Hunger Games was released locally.

On it says "Southeast Asian edition". Sale outside of Southeast asia is prohibited. :?:

It is paperback and more like the size of a school textbook.
Låt den rätte komma in in both its printed and celluloid form is a slow acting poison. You will be poisoned white. White from arsenic and innocence.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu

jellmoo

Post by jellmoo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 am

A small article talking about the September release of Handling The Undead from a leading sci-fi blog:

http://io9.com/5542112/a-zombie-book-fr ... ght-one-in

Not really any new information or anything, but a little publicity doesn't hurt. ;)
---
At one point, we have all been both the monster and the victim.
Time will tell for which you will be remembered.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed May 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Amazon now has a pic of the cover art.

-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm very surprised it's only now available in the US. A Spanish translation has existed for some time, and yesterday I saw a copy at a bookstore.
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Handling The Undead”