First Image from the Handling the Undead film

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
danielmann861

First Image from the Handling the Undead film

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:48 am

That would be Elias on the couch, right?

https://variety.com/2022/film/global/tr ... ENsfp2A7YA

Siggdalos

Re: First Image from the Handling the Undead film

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:48 am
That would be Elias on the couch, right?
Probably, yes.
Variety wrote:The story will focus on three families, each struggling with a tragic loss. Mahler and his daughter Anna mourn the too early passing of his grandson. Tora says her final goodbye to her wife at the funeral home and a family of four faces a life without a wife and mother.
I wonder if this means there's no Flora equivalent. I'd be a bit disappointed if so, since she's my favorite character in the book. We'll see, though. Maybe they're combining Flora and Elvy into one character.

On another note, John is making a cameo in the film, just like he did in LTROI and (supposedly) Border. He posted this on his website and Facebook/Instagram earlier today:
JAL wrote:At a costume fitting in Oslo for my cameo in Handling the Undead.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:38 pm

On another note, John is making a cameo in the film, just like he did in LTROI and (supposedly) Border.
He does indeed make a cameo in Border

Him and his wife (I think) are two of the passengers coming off the boat when she meets Vore for the first time. You can see them blurred out in the image above. I was the only one in the cinema who recognized it on first viewing...granted I think most people wouldn't know what John looks like or even notice it was the author...but I noticed being the fan I am <laughs>
He posted this on his website and Facebook/Instagram earlier today:
JAL wrote:At a costume fitting in Oslo for my cameo in Handling the Undead.
Yeah I saw that on Instagram, kind of glad they gave him a cameo just to keep the trend going.
I wonder if this means there's no Flora equivalent. I'd be a bit disappointed if so, since she's my favorite character in the book. We'll see, though. Maybe they're combining Flora and Elvy into one character.

On another note, John is making a cameo in the film, just like he did in LTROI and (supposedly) Border. He posted this on his website and Facebook/Instagram earlier today:
I noticed that too. They've seemingly retooled it a bit. I mean, from memory, it was David and his son dealing with his wife's untimely death in a car accident. Yet, presuming it's still the same character, they've added more to the family? And Tora....I too would be kinda saddened if Flora doesn't make the cut. They were one of my favourite pairings in that book, too. So I'd be slightly disappointed if she doesn't make the cut.

It's been a while since I've read Handling the Undead. I read it once and never really went back to it. Perhaps I should give it a re-read sometime soon.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:00 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:38 pm
Him and his wife (I think) are two of the passengers coming off the boat when she meets Vore for the first time. You can see them blurred out in the image above. I was the only one in the cinema who recognized it on first viewing...granted I think most people wouldn't know what John looks like or even notice it was the author...but I noticed being the fan I am <laughs>
Ah, good eye. :D The reason I wrote "supposedly" is because JAL mentions it in the 2018 afterword to Border, but I'd never managed to spot him when I watched the film so I wasn't sure if he was included in the final cut or not. For the record, it's him, Mia, their son, and their son's girlfriend.
danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:38 pm
It's been a while since I've read Handling the Undead. I read it once and never really went back to it. Perhaps I should give it a re-read sometime soon.
I'm planning on rereading it and The Final Handling in time for when the film comes out. I personally think it's his worst novel if read on its own (largely because of the lack of a real ending), but it becomes significantly better if read in combination with the epilogue.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:34 pm

Oh wow. I knew it was all happening but nothing makes it feel real like a frame from the filming :shock:
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Jameron wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:34 pm
Oh wow. I knew it was all happening but nothing makes it feel real like a frame from the filming :shock:
It does feel a little surreal that the movie is finally happening after having been talked about in different forms for so long.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Another photo of JAL's cameo. He'll be playing a funeral director.
https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=177

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:25 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:35 pm
Another photo of JAL's cameo. He'll be playing a funeral director.
https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=177

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:51 pm

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:52 pm

https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=202
Renate Reinsve as Anna in the upcoming Handling the Undead which premieres this autumn.

Photograph: Morten Brun
I'm not sure, but her appearance doesn't quite seem to match that of the person in the first picture in the thread, so maybe that picture doesn't actually show Anna and Elias.

Return to “Handling The Undead”