From the light of a different sun

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
sauvin

Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by sauvin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 am

ltroifanatic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 am
Another goody Sauvin.Did you do anything to Eli's face?..She looks sort of different and why do I get hungry after your posts?.Reminds me of a T shirt I used to have that read "There's a place for all God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy" :lol: (my apologies to the vegetarians here)..Thanks for sharing.I'm off to get something to eat.
If barely perceptible images of skulls, skeletons, spiders, snakes, centipedes get your stomach growling, I'm not sure I'd want to know! :lol:

Yes, Eli's face is a bit doctored up. It's overcast with a lightly applied darkish purple, her lips are blackened just a tad, and if you'll look at her a bit more closely, you'll see she doesn't actually have any eyes, just black abysses where the eyes should be. This is a darker, colder Eli than the one we see in the movie
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 am

You got a big effect from your light touches. Here's from the hospital receptionist part of the film:

“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:24 am

The Eli on the left is the "before" that became the "after" that is the girl on the right. Gaze upon their faces and understand that the one on the right could still just be a goth girl, and therefore a cute young sweetie you could spend Saturday afternoon watching Disney movies with - until you look into what should have been her eyes. If the eyes are windows into the soul, what does it say when those windows are dark and bottomless?

It's hard for me to gauge how much effect the embedded images have in the foregoing image's background that's missing here. Most of the field Eli doesn't occupy is loaded with things associated with pain and mortality, and of course the background coloration (some of which survived in the colder Eli's image here) added a bit to the effect I'd intended, but now that I'm looking at it hours after having posted it, it just looks like Eli's walking in front of a plate glass panel that's not seen any Windex in a few years. Looks like more experimentation is needed.

Curiously enough, the image loading was something I spent nearly all day playing with, and painting up Eli herself was just a couple of minutes of "aw, what the heck, why not?" I couldn't agree more, after having done a few images where I painted her up rather heavily: less is often far, far more.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am

Just messing around, this time with no definite goal in mind at all, and still trying to decide when best to use masks and when best to just stack layers. When I zoomed out and looked at the overall effect, it looked really cool, and so I decided to share it.

Obligatory Old Fart Rambling: a rose, by any other name, smells just as sweet, but what would you make of a rose that has fangs?

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 am

I didn't notice the eyes.Wow that is seriously spooky.The last one is just plain beautiful.Another Old fart rambling.."Back in my day all the pretty girls had fangs".. :lol:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 am

ltroifanatic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 am
I didn't notice the eyes.Wow that is seriously spooky.The last one is just plain beautiful.Another Old fart rambling.."Back in my day all the pretty girls had fangs".. :lol:
There's a subtle joke hidden behind what you just said, something to do with men being afraid of women with teeth in funny places.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 am

Oh dear.I have heard that joke. :oops: I really meant it to be a Grandpa Simpson type gag.(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)... :lol: :lol:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:20 am

That's enough, boys. :roll:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 am

There's that little girl in "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" whose mouth was in the back of her head...

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 am

The most recent one is simple, but effective and rather pretty in a melancholy sort of way. The black eyes are a nice touch, I always find them effective for demonstrating a distance from humanity in a character.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

Return to “Fan Art”