From the light of a different sun

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by dongregg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 am

Bad. Bad, PeteMork. But good, Sauvin.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 am

sauvin wrote:Image

PeteMork, you BAD MAN, you made me experiment with something!
Great Idea. You could do a whole series of these: Oskar's double reflection (good Oskar, bad Oskar), Hakan, etc.

Interesting that you tend to show Abby as being a darker character than Eli... Where does Owen fall on this curve?
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:10 am

I tend to use images of Chloe because images of Lina are very rare, and my skill level at this juncture is such that I can't (usually) just turn a frown upside down or twist an arm and a leg around. If I had more images of her, I probably could perpetrate some pretty grotesque abominations on Eli. The two girls are truthfully about on the same order of "darkness" for me otherwise. I can be a bit freer with images of Elysse because (1) I've not found an image yet that can be made to conform to the image of the girl I had when I wrote the fanfics featuring her and because when I run into an image that looks suitable, even though the girl in question doesn't resemble any of the three girls, I can always just say "this one dropped in from some other dimension".

Between Oskar and Owen, though, well... Oskar is a Viking, where Owen is a weak-willed little American cork bobbing up and down in a whitewater. :D
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am

That shirt really is kinda BLAH. Even turning it pink didn't take all the BLAH out of it. So, I replaced the pink with a nebula. Now, it's not BLAH anymore.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:04 am

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm

‘Tis the season for an updated Santa Hakan, methinks... ;)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:18 pm

sauvin wrote:Image
Yeah, that cab driving away is enough all by itself. :(
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Yeah, the cab driving away. Bleak.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:05 am

Yea the cab scene is so sad and beautiful.Eli with his constellation top looks so cute.I love that scene.How she cleans up and tries to be pretty for Oskar.Oh yes.Some happy Hakan Xmas manipulations would be nice at this time of year.You better watch out,Santa Claws is coming to town. :twisted:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 am

I'll bet this one is going to ruffle a few feathers.

In the course of clicking around, still looking for the ever elusive Elysse, I ran across some pictures of grade school kids smoking. Earlier this weekend, I ran across some references to statistics of unknown validity that a certain percentage of kids under the age of ten in the US are addicted to alcohol, as well. It's not unusual to see very young people smoking; it's been a fact of life for as long as I can remember (say, since the very early 1960s), but the allegations concerning prepubescent alcoholism are alarming if true. It wouldn't make it any less saddening that extremely young people are choosing to accept the risk of various kinds of cancers, stunted growth, and et cetera, but alcohol addiction presents more immediately alarming potential consequences.

My personal attitudes towards smoking, drinking and suchlike are a bit paradoxical. I started drinking when I was still sixteen or so, and started smoking cigarettes when I was 19 (before then, I'd been all about the pipes and cigars). I lost "interest" in drinking while still in my early 20's; those Lost Years drifted away in an alcoholic fog. It could be argued that heavy drinking caused me to drop out of college, but the argument ignores the emotional problems that caused the drinking.

I started smoking cigars and pipes and suchlike when I was still 14, as I recall, and moved on to cigarettes when I was 19 (matter of portability and convenience). Quitting is the easiest thing in the world, I promise, and I should know: I've done it so OFTEN! But I don't do five packs a day anymore, down to a single pack a day even on my days off.

While I think it's sad and more than a bit offensive that young people choose to do this to themselves, what I find blatantly obscene is that people impute drinkers and smokers with personal, moral, spiritual and even legal deficits. It's been long enough now that young people now never knew what it is to sit in a bar and have a butt, or a postprandial puff at the family restaurant; these days, you can't fire up a cigarette even in the privacy of your own car without somebody knocking on your window screaming that you're a bad, evil person, a burden to society and a major contributor to all the ills that beset today's younger folk. A smoker can find it very hard to find employment.

I agree completely that Eli doesn't stand as a poster child for anything other than a metaphor for what it is to be cursed with an illness that cuts the victim off from society, and that she has a rare kind of purity that even Abby can't quite touch. What I do not agree is that the idea that she might indulge in smoking or drinking would make her any less "human". She is what she is, after all, and can't catch cancer or suffer cirrhosis of the liver. I can almost hear the folks in the back rows muttering "yeah, yeah, she's a stone cold serial murderess, but that's not her fault, and yeah, yeah, she's a cougar running away with a baby, but she's really only twelve, but, dude, smoking and drinking? Is there no low to which you will not stoop!?", to which I retort that lonely old people, twelve and sixty alike, who have only ghosts and hobgoblins to live with also sometimes need whatever creature comforts might offer to help ease an unbearable existence. I could, in fact, counterargue that there's a [HONK] of a lot smaller moral component to Eli's having a few puffs than there is to the gravestones and broken lives she leaves in her wake everywhere she goes, and a very strong argument could be made that Oskar's future without her influence would have been generally quite a bit brighter than it was when he tapped out "kiss" on the box before him in the train leaving Blackeberg.

If this image seriously threatens to derail your perception of Eli's seemingly immutable and bottomless purity, I'd suggest that the whole popular notion of "moral integrity" needs review.

Return to “Fan Art”