From the light of a different sun

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
PeteMork

Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by PeteMork » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:20 am

sauvin wrote:When my skills improve, I have in mind a kind of comic strip where Eli holds up a Rubik's Cube to Abby, who's sitting on her New Mexico jungle gym, and demanding "Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend!?". Abby just gives her a blank look and says something ignorant or insensitive, like maybe "Who?". Next frame or two is a big cloud of dirty grey dust or something, with hands, feet, wings, fangs and stuff poking out here and there (and lots of '60's style Batman "Bam! Zowie! SPLAT!" kinds of sound effects in various fonts), and in the final panel, Eli walks away from the experience just a little bloodied and with a grimace on her face: "Ugh. Americans eat WAY too much salt and sugar!"
Great idea. Long ago, I had my own take on their meeting in this little tale, which as you might remember, does include a few feathers flying:
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -the-minds
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:50 am

PeteMork wrote:
sauvin wrote:When my skills improve, I have in mind a kind of comic strip where Eli holds up a Rubik's Cube to Abby, who's sitting on her New Mexico jungle gym, and demanding "Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend!?". Abby just gives her a blank look and says something ignorant or insensitive, like maybe "Who?". Next frame or two is a big cloud of dirty grey dust or something, with hands, feet, wings, fangs and stuff poking out here and there (and lots of '60's style Batman "Bam! Zowie! SPLAT!" kinds of sound effects in various fonts), and in the final panel, Eli walks away from the experience just a little bloodied and with a grimace on her face: "Ugh. Americans eat WAY too much salt and sugar!"
Great idea. Long ago, I had my own take on their meeting in this little tale, which as you might remember, does include a few feathers flying:
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -the-minds
I remember reading that years ago and laughing myself silly. It was lovely to read it again!
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:07 am

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:08 am

I suspect that for most WTI denizens, this scene borders on the iconic. However, what you see here isn't what you'll see in a screen shot or freeze-frame. A couple of the differences are immediately obvious, so I'll just point them out: the kids look a little brighter here, and maybe just a tad fuzzier, and all the windows have somehow turned the colour of drying blood.

There are a number of other differences, though, some of them "just because" and some of them having thematic intent. Most of these changes are pretty small. Anybody want to take a stab at what those differences might be if I promise I didn't change any sizes or move anything anywhere or bend or delete or add anything?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:12 pm

• The snow on the playset platforms has a blue tinge.
  • Looks like either dongregg or maybe ltroifanatic staring out the window, way in the background.
  • The playset as well has a green/blue coloring that I think is a change.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
  • The snow on the playset platforms has a blue tinge.
  • Looks like either ltroifanatic or maybe ltroifanatic staring out the window, way in the background.
  • The playset as well has a green/blue coloring that I think is a change.
The snow in the right half of the image does indeed have a bluish tinge. That's not all that's "tinged".

Yes, the playset's colour has changed. In essence, I articulated the kids, calling it a "foreground", the playset as "midground" and everything else (grounds, building, etc) as "background". One additional significant layer is "windows", imposed immediately before the "background". As an unintended consequence, the image has a somewhat more 3D feel to it than the screenshot. The playset itself has a bit more light being spilled on it than the background, and has more of a bluish cast. I was surprised to learn there's so much green in the screenshots I thought were mostly bluish.

Have another look at the kids!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:08 am

The kids seem the less 3D elements of the overall picture. They are flat and appear - to my eyes - plastered on top of the image behind.

Meanwhile that playset is larger than life. It is dominate as the first layer right behind them. It's a device that appears ready to take over the scene were it not for the kids. The way it branches out to left and right give a feel that it is embracing or perhaps consuming the foreground.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:14 am

Message just now coming from Tree. Okay, got it. Yes, tree wants to point out supportive role, played so well in the background. Scene would be ruined without tree - yes, I understand. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3845&start=520#p112238 . Over & Out. Full stop.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:The kids seem the less 3D elements of the overall picture. They are flat and appear - to my eyes - plastered on top of the image behind.

Meanwhile that playset is larger than life. It is dominate as the first layer right behind them. It's a device that appears ready to take over the scene were it not for the kids. The way it branches out to left and right give a feel that it is embracing or perhaps consuming the foreground.
In a very real sense, that's exactly what I did: cut the kids out, hosed them down with a number of different kinds of paint, and glued them back into place. They ARE flat, but not because I changed any proportions (I didn't change *any* sizes, shapes or placements at all anywhere in the image). While watching the movie the first few times, I barely even noticed the play set at all, but you know... change a few bars around and suddenly it's not a play set any more, it's a cage... :>

I'll hang out just a bit more before telling everybody everything I did to that scene, and why.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:19 am

Celle-ci, c'est juste pour rire. :lol:

Return to “Fan Art”