From the light of a different sun

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
sauvin

Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by sauvin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Somebody tried to post an image from Amazon Drive in another thread without success. I found Amazon Drive fairly easy to get started with, but I agree it's not immediately obvious how to hotlink images to the forum. The procedure I used is very similar to what I wound up doing to hotlink an image from Google Drive. I outlined what I did in that thread, and Morkus le Magne suggested I repeat those steps here.

Please note that some of the text of the menu items I described are from memory, and are probably not verbatim.

Kindly note I'm a Linux user using Firefox in the steps described below. There's been a complaint already that these steps don't work with Internet Explorer (to which I do not have access). Since we also have Macintosh users on the forum, it would be a kindness to fellow forum members if folks using different browsers on different operating systems who can successfully hotlink images from Google or Amazon Drive describe in this thread how they accomplished it, identifying the operating system and browser used in the process.

From Amazon Drive:

1) Upload the pic.
2) Wait a while for it to upload.
3) When the pic is uploaded, click on it.
4) I right-clicked on the expanded pic and clicked on "copy image address".
5) Bop on over to WTI, start a new post, right click in the edit area, and click on "paste".
6) Sandwich the URL between the {img} and {\img} tags, using square braces rather than the curly ones I used here.
7) Profit.

Edit:

The URL to the linked-to image on Amazon Drive is:
(https:)//content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/3HTlxhPkyHdNAg-p9bG8abZJxkkhN52ahjLEFndMnxYpX92IB?viewBox=854%2C368

Notice that '/templink/' in there? I went to Amazon Drive, signed into my account, called up that image and copied its address. Same image, but different URL. Copying the URL from the address bar and tagging it as an image in a BB post also just results in an "image" icon. The conclusion I'm drawing from this admittedly limited experiment is that Amazon doesn't particularly welcome hotlinking, either.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:33 am

I'm not pleased to see that the image I shared from Amazon Drive now shows up in my browser as a little icon that says "image". Don't know what's up with that, and will investigate when time and energy permit. I am pleased to see that the image I shared from Google Photos is still up. One certainly hopes the Goo Gull people don't pull a PB.

This image is almost literally nothing to see. The text says "You would like me even if I weren't a girl? I have a small problem or two". The graphic is a result of quite a process, and I don't quite remember how it went. Grab an image, turn it black and white, play with the contrast, colourify it, invert some colours and $deity alone knows what all else. It's part of another thing I'm playing with as I poke into this image manipulation program more and more.

This may result in another sorta kinda DVD cover or movie poster. So far, I've collected an image of Eli astraddle Lacke's back, just before twisting his neck, a white cat that I swiped off a Google search, the shot of Haakan peering balefully out the window, this graphic and the shot of the kids looking into each other's eyes after Oskar asks Eli why she asks if he'd still like her even if she weren't a girl. What's taking me so long to play with it is that the actual doing is getting to be less and less of a problem while being able to decide what to do gets to be more and more of a hurdle. I'm no artist!

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:35 pm

An update on hosting images from Amazon Drive or Google Photos:

As stated previously in two threads, Amazon provides only temporary links. When the links expire, the hotlinks show up in the browser as a small graphic containing the word "image". There is no readily apparent way to get permanent links to images stored on Amazon Drive.

Somebody in another forum said that Google Drive links work, but you have to have a Google account, and you have to be signed into it for the hotlinked images to show up. While the links appear to be permanent at this stage, if you're not signed into your Google account, images hotlinked from Google Photos will show up in your browser as the word "image" - or so I'm seeing from a browser that is not logged into my Google account or to this forum.

This leaves me wondering how many people on this forum are like me in having Google accounts and are always signed in. Most folk, I suspect, but not everybody.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 pm

All of my pics are on my hard drive. A lot of mackousko's and many others.

Tinypic still works for posting on the forum. You browse your hard drive and select the img url, which you save and use to hotlink with.

The site now has a new pop-up page, but you can click on the x to get rid of it.

Oh, and you have to register a username and e-mail address, which it remembers.

I would love to know about other free image posting sites.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 am

Has anyone tried this one yet?

https://postimages.org/

I think an app needs to be downloaded for it to work. Haven't tried it yet. Just checking to see if anyone has any experience with it, before I give it a try.

Before creating account:

Now, lets see how long this one lasts...

After creating account:

And this, after I created a gallery:

Last edited by PeteMork on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:02 am

PeteMork wrote:Has anyone tried this one yet?

https://postimages.org/

I think an app needs to be downloaded for it to work. Haven't tried it yet. Just checking to see if anyone has any experience with it, before I give it a try.

Now, lets see how long this one lasts...
Thanks. We'll see. Worse comes to worse, I can call Leonard in Austin so he can tell me what an app is.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 am

dongregg wrote:...
Thanks. We'll see. Worse comes to worse, I can call Leonard in Austin so he can tell me what an app is.
:D app = program

EDIT: Which I didn't need to download after all...(so far)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 am

That's Lina taking the picture? Oh my effing goddess! Are there more?

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:09 am

dongregg wrote:That's Lina taking the picture? Oh my effing goddess! Are there more?
I think it was taken during the filming of "Tenderness". Like this one:

(Better grab them before they disappear) :D

Sauvin: If you haven't seen these, perhaps you can work your magic on them too. (If the site holds up.)

This one is a hotlink (whatever that is), rather than a direct link:

EDIT: Nice! It takes you to the site itself, where you can create your own account and password. I suspect they would prefer that we hotlink our photos. Free advertising for them, and free storage for us. (I really am an optimist, aren't I?) ;)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 am

Jeebus H. mutter flipping jacked up blue boy deity on a circus side show pogo stick, this girl is the very definition of the word "beautiful"! Are there more like these?

Return to “Fan Art”