Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 am

I never get tired of seeing that face.. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 pm

I love it! :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 am

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...
Who am I, after all?

The girl to the right is a reflection in the mirror of the girl to the left.

It's said that when you gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. It's also said that you can never really see a true reflection of yourself until you see how other people seem to see you, that people are the mirror to reflect your heart or soul in the same way a physical mirror that simply bounces light lets you see what you look like on the surface. What happens if what you see in either mirror isn't nearly as ugly or repulsive as you've been led to believe?

Like another image or two I've done, this girl isn't Eli, Abby or Elysse (I was playing with more knobs and buttons with some random model). If Eli or Abby is the abyss into which we gaze, then all the different Elis and Abbys and fanfic knockoffs that've popped up in the fiction and art sections are the distorted and speckled reflections Eli would see in the abysses of our eyes - and, I fear, how she might see us if she could rise above her two-dimensional world of paper and ink or take physical form from the patterns of lights in our magical electronic windows. She'd curl up into a little ball on Lord Morkus' lap and purr loudly after making a quick, messy meal of crusty, humourless and irredeemably bitter Sauvin. To most of the rest of us, I think, she'd just hand out Valentine's Day candies and fresh, cold bottles of insulin.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:45 pm

sauvin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 am

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...
Who am I, after all?

The girl to the right is a reflection in the mirror of the girl to the left.

It's said that when you gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. It's also said that you can never really see a true reflection of yourself until you see how other people seem to see you, that people are the mirror to reflect your heart or soul in the same way a physical mirror that simply bounces light lets you see what you look like on the surface. What happens if what you see in either mirror isn't nearly as ugly or repulsive as you've been led to believe?

Like another image or two I've done, this girl isn't Eli, Abby or Elysse (I was playing with more knobs and buttons with some random model). If Eli or Abby is the abyss into which we gaze, then all the different Elis and Abbys and fanfic knockoffs that've popped up in the fiction and art sections are the distorted and speckled reflections Eli would see in the abysses of our eyes - and, I fear, how she might see us if she could rise above her two-dimensional world of paper and ink or take physical form from the patterns of lights in our magical electronic windows. She'd curl up into a little ball on Lord Morkus' lap and purr loudly after making a quick, messy meal of crusty, humourless and irredeemably bitter Sauvin. To most of the rest of us, I think, she'd just hand out Valentine's Day candies and fresh, cold bottles of insulin.
:D More likely, she'd shake her head at the idealistic naiveté of Lord Morkus, put him in a birdcage in her den, and go out for a beer with Sauvin (After ditching the now-broken, alcoholic Oskar)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

:lol: :lol: yep and while you two are having fun we'll be the hors-doeuvres.Just my luck.Always the hors-doeuvre and never the main meal..sigh.. :D

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm

(Nice work on the photo, by the way. With just a few tweaks, the original looks significantly different from her reflection; even without the white skin.)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 am

I'm starting to worry.Why do I like the spooky ones best?..Maybe I should ask my wife? :lol: "Hey baby.Why do I like spooky girls?"..(crash,bang,sok,wallop)..Ouch,because they're dangerous. :D

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 am

This image was just for exploring all the knobs, buttons and sliders (there was no thematic intent), but I thought it was cool, so, I'm sharing it. I took some pictures of people, chucked them into a food processor, added some rosemary, sage, sage, thyme, cardamom, cinnamon, peppers, cumin, maybe a splash of molasses and a pinch of salt and a couple gallons of food coloring, and then baked and fried them, sliced them up and slapped them over an image of a nebula. Those things that look like rocks? They're not. They're Soylent Rainbow.

I cut the kids out and tossed them in just to have a (lame) defense that the image is germane and topical. Here's a retrofit, though:

Remember what it was like to be twelve and to fall in love?

It brought a paradoxical kind of peace, the kind I imagine one might hear in the forest with birds chirping and singing on a bright sunny summer afternoon as cannons and bombs boom with a strange thunder in the far distance where the front line is. It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time because the hindbrain is always all too aware that something found is also something to lose while the rest of the mind is on temporary leave. That first promise of romantic companionship (in any sense) comes with a nascent visceral understanding of mortality: that same hindbrain starts a subvocal mutter, something about needing to get a move on if you want the pitter patter of tiny feet in the upstairs hallway on Saturday mornings because it has also begun to perceive dimly that it's going to be sleeping in the cold ground right next to Great Aunt Mathilde altogether too soon.

This is an image of two profoundly lonely people discovering genuine mutual regard in an ugly, barren place under the stars of a different sky (heh, heh, heh). Maybe it's real love, maybe it's just a desperate need to escape loneliness and they'll call their mutual regard "love" because they don't see it for what it really is and don't have a better word for it. Maybe there's a romantic component to this regard in an adult sense, and maybe they just want to share a beach to make sand castles in for the next couple of eternities. Nobody can say with any real confidence what she might make of a real (adult) romance, but it seems certain he would gladly trade in all the telescopes in the world for just a few moments of it.

And there's oh so much hidden from him, hidden because he's not been around enough to recognise the patterns, hidden because it's dark out and he can't really see, hidden because just gazing into her eyes turns the whole world into something alien, hidden because he wouldn't believe you even if you pointed out the skulls, the burning roses and other whatnots hiding within the eructed lithosphere's very fabric. There's no chance he's ready for the reality of what she is, not at this very moment, and there's very little chance he's ready for the test and the trials she'd represent if she were what she appears to be.

He just sees the potential, and it makes her glow (just a little bit) for him. He just sees the surface of what's here and now.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 am

One of my earliest memories that I can fix a date to, is of falling in love with the prettiest girl in the class,Bernadette.It was a very long time ago (I was 8 at the time).I don't remember much but what I do remember still gives me a little "buzz".Of course at 8 I had no real idea about romantic love or any other love probably, but I remember walking across the road to our weekly school church service and she held my hand to cross but didn't let go when we got to the other side.She smiled at me and I experienced pure joy as we walked hand in hand.All the details are pretty fuzzy but I clearly remember that beautiful feeling (as well as the sweaty little hands that didn't want to stop holding each other).I think Owen looks a little blown away and Abby smiles because she knows it.Great pics as usual. :D

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 am

Come, my kindred spirit, my brother in blood, my lover, hold me, dance with me. It's prom night, and it's on fire. You look so dashing, blue like a frozen popsicle, and you smell like a white bottle with a ship on it. I'm as pretty as I can be, a fresh green corpse smelling like a garbage can at a fish market. All the forgotten gods love us because they're jealous because they know that we'll never be here again! So hold me like you'll never let me go, let me feel your warm heart ticking the night away against my lifeless body, because never is just a sunrise away.

Return to “Fan Art”