From the light of a different sun

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by dongregg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:57 am

Great coverage! Loved your sardonic asides.

I wouldn't have been able to give the issue its due, so I might just have said...

"Yeah. Eli smokes. Get over it." :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 am

If this image seriously threatens to derail your perception of Eli's seemingly immutable and bottomless purity, I'd suggest that the whole popular notion of "moral integrity" needs review.
If I had a problem with this, it's not the smoking, but the world-weary disdain for life that's so un-Eli like for me. I wish that pic was of Abby.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 am

cmfireflies wrote:
If this image seriously threatens to derail your perception of Eli's seemingly immutable and bottomless purity, I'd suggest that the whole popular notion of "moral integrity" needs review.
If I had a problem with this, it's not the smoking, but the world-weary disdain for life that's so un-Eli like for me. I wish that pic was of Abby.
Working on something else right now, but... hee hee... I got LOTS of images of Abby... !!
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:45 am

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:05 am

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:09 pm

sauvin wrote:Image
Wow! I don't know what to say about this one. Except it could almost be either of them talking. :wub:

As for smoking, Eli is old enough to make that choice for herself. Who are we to object? Besides, objecting could be hazardous to our health. ;)

Strangely, it doesn't look so unnatural when Abby does it. :think:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Tour de force.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:26 am

The pic of the old man and Eli is lovely.He looks sad and lonely and there is Eli smiling at him trying to cheer him up because she knows how he feels.As for smoking,I'm not going to tell her she shouldn't do it.(1) I smoke myself and (2) I don't want to be eaten. :lol:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:09 am

ltroifanatic wrote:The pic of the old man and Eli is lovely.He looks sad and lonely and there is Eli smiling at him trying to cheer him up because she knows how he feels.As for smoking,I'm not going to tell her she shouldn't do it.(1) I smoke myself and (2) I don't want to be eaten. :lol:
What you're describing isn't quite the effect I was going for, truthfully. If you'll look at the image closely, you'll see that the old man is sitting on something by the seaside (or maybe it's just a big river, I don't remember offhand) on the left, and on the right, Eli is on the jungle gym. Between the two is an irregular but fairly sharp boundary zone. The image of Eli comes from the scene where she's about to explain to Oskar how she solved the Rubik's Cube; I snipped this image roughly in half and put the old man's posterior more or less exactly where Oskar's had been.

I'm certainly no artist, but I'd tried to make the two halves of this image dissimilar enough that the viewer would immediately recognise it's stitched together from two separate images, and the effect I'd been going for was these two people are in different places and in different times. By implication, the old man is an Oskar who'd lost his Eli years ago, and the Eli on the right is how he remembers her.

As for the image of Eli smoking (and yes, it looks a little wobbly, but so does the image of Abby smoking - the ashtray just ain't quite right), it was something of an in-joke. Imagine that yet another remake of LTROI were made, one in which Eli smokes, but follows the original movie very closely otherwise. She's having a puff, and Oskar innocently tells her she shouldn't smoke those things because it'll give her cancer or something, and she'll die. At this point in the movie, he can't have any flipping clue he's not talking to an ordinary twelve year old girl, and she finds his admonishment amusing in a darkly resigned way.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 am

sauvin wrote:What you're describing isn't quite the effect I was going for, truthfully. If you'll look at the image closely, you'll see that the old man is sitting on something by the seaside (or maybe it's just a big river, I don't remember offhand) on the left, and on the right, Eli is on the jungle gym. Between the two is an irregular but fairly sharp boundary zone. The image of Eli comes from the scene where she's about to explain to Oskar how she solved the Rubik's Cube; I snipped this image roughly in half and put the old man's posterior more or less exactly where Oskar's had been.

I'm certainly no artist, but I'd tried to make the two halves of this image dissimilar enough that the viewer would immediately recognise it's stitched together from two separate images, and the effect I'd been going for was these two people are in different places and in different times. By implication, the old man is an Oskar who'd lost his Eli years ago, and the Eli on the right is how he remembers her.
I got that at once, but not because of backgrounds or a stitched together look. I just saw that Oskar (or whoever) is in sharp relief and saturated color and Eli is faded, like a memory or a ghost.

Well done. Very touching.

Return to “Fan Art”