From the light of a different sun

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
sauvin

Re: From the light of a different sun

Post by sauvin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 am

While I'm still messing with layer masks and whatnot, here's an example.

I read some book in high school that talked all about the use of colour in various intensities and combinations to convey some kind of message. For a long number of years, I'd thought that kind of thing silly and meaningless, because, well, after all, isn't a picture just a picture? It conveys information.

Technically, that's true. For a long number of years, I spent a great deal of my time making pictures, too. Mine were 100% informational: here's how you make this part or assembly, here's how long it is, how wide it is, how thick, the exact sizes and locations of these holes and the radius of curvature for those fillets. The kinds of pictures, in other words, that the beach babes often say are "kinda scary": technical drawings.

For most of those long years since reading that book, I'd also carried around in my head the image of a very young girl, completely naked, terrified out of her mind and fleeing a village that'd just been napalmed, and another of a girl not much older kneeling and wailing over the body of her unarmed friend who'd just been shot dead at a university demonstration by our very own military. Sure, those pictures conveyed information: in the first, a village in some remote country had been bombed by military forces, and in the second, civil unrest turned ugly. If you can look at either of these pictures without being struck dumb by the horror they conveyed, though, I wouldn't know whether to salute you, or run away from you just as fast as my bandy little legs can carry me, or probably both.

I'm finding that "art" is a lot harder to pull off than just conveying factual information, and I'm starting to admire the inspiration, the hard work and the sheer skill of famous people in bygone years who've also spent large chunks of their lives making "pictures". I'm using a few thousand dollars' worth of computer to do what I'm doing, and I'll never manage to come close to anything Da Vinci could do just with a quill pen and a sheet of paper. Guys like him understand how to use shapes, colours, different kinds of strokes of the brush or pen and arrangements of their subjects in order to convey something far beyond "this is how girls and guys dressed in my day" or "here's what a dinner table in my home looks like".

This image, which is a modified screenshot, shows Eli mostly cast in shadow, with light shining on her forehead. The "thematic intent" that I'm not able to pull off is one of receding darkness: sure, she's a monster who lives in the dark, but something of Eli herself is starting to come out, and it's happening while she's in Oskar's arms.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:42 pm

As further development of what I’m trying to express, here are three views of the same file, the first being completely untouched (this is an actual screenshot), the second after applying some masks and paints, and the third with some numbers indicating areas of specific interest. The numbered areas are:

1 Area is "black and white"
2 Throat is painted grey
3 Jaw line (and parts of the hairline towards the top) is a soft, deathly green
4 Lips are blackened; cat's lips
5 Areas around the eyes more purple than other facial areas
6 Eyes themselves are a greyish/greenish colour
7 The whole base facial area has more purple and hints of cyan
8 Entire shot is lightly overlaid with a bluish tinge

This whole effort is meant to be a “statement of condition”, and is less exaggerated than a similar image done earlier (it was meant more for humour), but is still exaggerated enough for a grumpy old man to point out some of the difficulties he’s having with making a picture tell a "human condition" story rather than just conveying factual information.

The “information” is clear enough: Eli looks really weird, but Oskar can’t see this because he’s got his chin on her shoulder. Eli’s eyes are cast downwards and focused on something in the far distance that’s probably somewhere else and in some other time. She’s looking a little worried, actually, or maybe just “concerned”.

The additional colouring is where “story” and “information” conflict. More I try to tell the story, less real the image looks. Nobody outside of science fiction or horror has eyes with greyish aquamarine sclera that almost glows in the dark, or has skin colouring quite this radical unless there’s some extreme cold involve or some kind of postmortem process. She might be “dead” in some ways, but that’s not a corpse Oskar’s trying to comfort. Some of the colouring decisions were just to convey the idea that she isn’t your average everyday Girl Next Door™, and all of them are matters of relying on the viewer’s ability to suspend disbelief enough to see what the artist (ahem) is trying to convey.

Many people who’ve been out in the cold too long will develop a purplish cast, and so will people suffering oxygen deprivation for a variety of reasons (cyanosis). A purplish mottling is expected on the newly dead. If this particular image hadn’t been deliberately exaggerated, the general purplish cast would have been an undertone to an otherwise alabaster white complexion, and the overall effect would have been meant to suggest “dead Eli walking” without actually trumpeting it.

Purplish lips would have been consistent with that intended impression, but these lips aren’t just a dark purple, they’re light purple with a black overlay, and aren’t meant to convey “corpse” so much as “felinity”. This girl is a carnivore of some kind.

The greenish tinges to the jawline and the hairline near the top of the forehead are meant to further an unease we’d have with interacting with corpse. She looks, walks and talks like a regular little girl, but somehow the spectre of death looks, walks and talks with her (and with it the possibility of some horrible and highly contagious disease), and the greyish tinges to the eyebrows, the mustache area above the upper lip and at the base of the nose (that I forgot to number) are something of a nod to the contemporary fascination with zombies. The whole throat area has greyish overlays to a purplish complexion.

Eli’s hair from behind the occipital bun down to the shoulders is (or should be) 100% black and white, with black predominating because the original had very little white to begin with in that area. The implication in this image is that everything from the collarbones down could have been captured with remarkable colour fidelity by a camera from the late 1800’s, if such cameras could record auras rather than what the naked eye sees.

Eli’s colour is emerging, and it’s because an unwary Oskar has his arms around her, but is in this image in a “liminal” state. Coming into the light isn’t always a simple, sudden transition from the black-and-white fight-or-flee kind of existence to the easy, warm confidence of someone who’d lived on the coast halfway between a beach and a fruit garden. Here, if I remember (and understand) the actual story properly, she’s being given the chance for the first time in a couple centuries to have a real relationship, having a real basis, with a real person who cares a lot more about her than any ability she might have to dispose of unwanted people, rob banks, carry drugs or guns across the border, or afford unspeakable pleasures.

It’s wonderful, it’s confusing, it's unfamiliar and it’s scary because she knows that if things keep going this way too much longer, she's going to have to move away from him sooner or later or she’s going to have to tell him the truth about who and what she is. He’s almost bound to run away screaming when that happens. Either way, she’ll then have to get used to the black-and-white thing again. Maybe part of her doesn’t really want to face the possibility of losing what she’s never had, where another part just can’t (or won’t) let that possibility go. When conflict like this happens, all sorts of weird colours are going to come popping out, even if the naked eye can't see them.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:28 am

Thanks for an interesting explanation to what you've done and how you did it.Your view on factual information versus the inner story is ,I think,something artists have struggled with forever.I stumbled onto this quote from Picasso."We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realise truth,at least the truth that is given to us to understand.The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies".Thanks for sharing.Hope to see more of your art in the future. :)
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:00 am

ltroifanatic wrote:Thanks for an interesting explanation to what you've done and how you did it.Your view on factual information versus the inner story is ,I think,something artists have struggled with forever.I stumbled onto this quote from Picasso."We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realise truth,at least the truth that is given to us to understand.The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies".Thanks for sharing.Hope to see more of your art in the future. :)
I guess what I'm complaining about is that it's apparently the very devil to "lie" just enough that the truth can be perceived but won't be buried, lost, misinterpreted, misconstrued, ignored or outright negated. :lol:

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Well, this is lame. Photobucket now wants $400/yr for what they're calling "3rd party hosting". Gonna take me a while to move crap to another host.

Addendum: looks like this was a very sudden move on Photobucket's part, about a month ago. Some fast googling around suggests Photobucket is going to be taking a lot of heat for this move, and they'll almost certainly be losing a fairly substantial chunk of their paying customer base. There are reports of problems with sites like ebay and amazon where people'd posted pictures of the things they're trying to sell - those images are now no longer available to the general public. On a more local front, I'm also guessing that a sizeable chunk of the images linked to in this forum are going to be going -=POOF=- as the members who'd posted them have drifted away.

This makes me very angry.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 am

sauvin wrote:Well, this is lame. Photobucket now wants $400/yr for what they're calling "3rd party hosting". Gonna take me a while to move crap to another host.

Addendum: looks like this was a very sudden move on Photobucket's part, about a month ago. Some fast googling around suggests Photobucket is going to be taking a lot of heat for this move, and they'll almost certainly be losing a fairly substantial chunk of their paying customer base. There are reports of problems with sites like ebay and amazon where people'd posted pictures of the things they're trying to sell - those images are now no longer available to the general public. On a more local front, I'm also guessing that a sizeable chunk of the images linked to in this forum are going to be going -=POOF=- as the members who'd posted them have drifted away.

This makes me very angry.
Yep. And finding a new place (Imgur) won't really help. We'd have to move everything there, then go back and change all the links here. :evil:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:19 am

“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:54 pm

The image: a Google Photos link. I don't know how long this image will persist, or if the URL pointing to it is static.

The rant:

Dongregg, thank you for what you posted. It was lovely, even if I do say so myself. :D I don't know if I can download the images from PB or not - there appears to be lots of problems with PB's server software - but all of these images should still exist on my hard drive in one or another of my "things I'm messing with" directories.

I very rarely mention the fact that I'm a moderator on this forum, strongly preferring to be just another user (truthfully, my initial interest in becoming a moderator was just in the ability to zap spam), but as a moderator on WTI, I have this to say: a search of "photobucket.com" yields some 1650 results listed on 165 pages. A random sampling of these hits yields a very high incidence of "Update your account" graphics rather than something WTI members would like to see. This angers me greatly.

As just another regular user, I have maybe two dozen images on Photobucket (PB), and I have virtually zero investment in any of them. They are the results of me playing with an image manipulation program, and I shared them here just on the off chance that somebody else might enjoy seeing them. Apart from that, the only thing that bothers me personally about this whole PB thing is the holes it leaves in this thread, and I think I'm going to let those holes stand. It's my intention to re-post most or all of these images, possibly in another thread, while I consider alternative approaches.

I don't understand their arithmetic, and I really don't understand their PR.

PB is saying they have a hundred million (1e+8) users hosting fifteen billion (1.5e+9) images (some 1500 images per customer), that advertising revenues are declining and that some 75% of their operating expenses are because of people using unpaid accounts. From this I guess that roughly 75% of their accounts are unpaid ("freemium") and exist to generate revenue through advertising.

If it's true that some seventy five MILLION people are using their service without paying anything directly out of their own pockets, it makes perfect business sense to send them all an email "You need to upgrade your account within the next couple of months to one of our paid tiers if you want to hotlink your images". If hotlinkers were suddenly required to spend five dollars a month to keep their images alive out in the wild - assuming all these people make such an upgrade, PB could have raked in as much as some three hundred and seventy five million dollars ($375 000 000) per month.

As it stands, I think it's rashly optimistic to hope that even one percent of the unpaid accounts will be upgraded to their new $400/year plan. Granted, from the customer's view, that's only $33.33/mo, but (1) this plan is available only on a yearly basis, it's due a month ago, it's nearly universally completely unexpected, and there are (at the time of this writing) far too many completely free alternatives. One percent of seventy five million, times four hundred dollars, comes out to some twenty five million dollars ($25 000 000) per month, or about 6.7% of the revenues they might have realised otherwise.

Oh, and could PB not have grandfathered images prior to a certain date for the sake of the millions of fora using images hosted on it?

We're conditioned to accept that free things don't remain free forever. When I first saw my own images being replaced with this 'you have to upgrade your account' image, I didn't think about it. I dug up my "encrypted notes" directory, fished out my credit card number and bopped on over to the PB site with the idea that I'd be paying a small handful of dollars. Imagine my surprise when I learned what they wanted. Newer forum members may not be aware of my personal posting history, so let me just suggest that the language I hurled at the computer screen was somewhat beyond what folks would describe as "vituperative".

The practical effect, in terms of PR, is that PB is saying "We don't want you hotlinking any more. You may certainly do so, but you'll pay through the nose for it". What it's also saying, in practical effect, is "We now reserve the right to spring upon you more nasty surprises in the future". It's almost certainly true that PB has just priced itself out of the ebay and amazon markets, and the resentment it's garnered from hundreds of millions of BB users will not soon be forgotten. We won't be able to forget; we'll be reminded of this time and time again as we review old threads on any of the untold number of fora we might visit.

PB is apparently not taking any phone calls, not from users and not from the likes of the BBC or New York Times.

Photobucket, therefore, has my full and wholeheartedly given permission to take an old, splintered up old wooden plank, spread on it a thin layer of monster glue, coat it with hundreds of tiny shards of broken glass and stainless steel lathe shavings, and insert it with a hydraulic press into one body orifice until it reaches another. I would further recommend a follow-up lavage and purge with battery acid and pulverised pure potassium.

Back to the image: Oskar has just fallen asleep. Prior to this moment, Eli actually has something of a blank expression on her face, as if she'd just given something away and she's trying to figure out what it was, and what it's going to cost her. In this moment, my interpretation is that she realises nothing was being taken from her, but that she was being given a gift. If you'll watch the movie carefully around this time frame, you'll see her eyes and throat working, as if she's trying not to cry.

I darkened the background, turned up the red a little bit on Oskar's shoulder, turned up the cyans and blues on Eli's exposed flesh and added just a hint of purple around the eyes and the base of the nose to suggest this interpretation. :lol:

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Zut alors! I want to see it. Have you ever used http://tinypic.com/ ?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:11 pm

dongregg wrote:Zut alors! I want to see it. Have you ever used http://tinypic.com/ ?
Photobucket owns it, and apparently has a reputation for losing images.

Return to “Fan Art”